Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2620 2621 [2622] 2623 2624 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5859807 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39315 on: January 25, 2015, 07:51:41 pm »

With a population caps of 20, I got only 10 goblins per siege.
Maybe it is hard-coded? I've tried several times. Maybe I can try creating more wealth.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39316 on: January 25, 2015, 10:28:24 pm »

My militia is training on the battlements of Brightcastle to serve as watchmen while they train. One of the new guardsmen tackled another and they flew right over the fortifications and 2 z levels to the ground explodifying the victims hand. I wish there was a way to ensure dwarves would charge, sending untrained dwarves to tackle goblins off the battlements would be cool. 

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39317 on: January 25, 2015, 10:38:48 pm »

After several seasons of waiting, and many, many crundles, I've finally caught a GCS! I brought it wild to a tiny enclosure with a window of fortifications toward a large room, where a tasty stray cat (tame) was chained up. But the spider didn't start slinging webs. I tried swapping the cat out for a donkey, but still nothing. So I tried pasturing the donkey instead of chaining it up, and while it did try to flee from the spider still no webs were slung, not even at the dwarf I locked in there. What am I doing wrong? Is the spider just not interested in webbing right now? Note that the spider is wild and cannot move from the spot it's standing on.
Is the spider directly next to the fortification? or is there a gap between it and the fortification?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39318 on: January 25, 2015, 10:41:10 pm »

After several seasons of waiting, and many, many crundles, I've finally caught a GCS! I brought it wild to a tiny enclosure with a window of fortifications toward a large room, where a tasty stray cat (tame) was chained up. But the spider didn't start slinging webs. I tried swapping the cat out for a donkey, but still nothing. So I tried pasturing the donkey instead of chaining it up, and while it did try to flee from the spider still no webs were slung, not even at the dwarf I locked in there. What am I doing wrong? Is the spider just not interested in webbing right now? Note that the spider is wild and cannot move from the spot it's standing on.
Is the spider directly next to the fortification? or is there a gap between it and the fortification?

It's right next to the fortifications, and the bait is about 5 tiles away on the other side.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

damnit,urist,youhadonejob

• Bay Watcher
  • ugh don't build your self on that side of the wall
    • View Profile
« Reply #39319 on: January 25, 2015, 11:20:21 pm »

well i started a new map, found a site and embarked. only after i hit embark did i notice the two towers nearby. hope this goes well. i have gold, native silver and all i need to make steal. i brought extra booze and am now planning on setting up the infrastructure of my base. heard blunt weapon traps are best against undead, and sharp and pointy is asking for trouble. true? never really dealt with undead and the wiki didnt say much.
should i bother making above ground fortifications? towers and that sort of thing.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39320 on: January 26, 2015, 12:39:18 am »

Loyalty cascade. A dwarf was fatally beaten for failing a production order and a different dwarf started randomly killing people. What followed was an apocalyptic bloodbath caused by having 127 dwarves in steel armor with heavy military training go to war with each other.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39321 on: January 26, 2015, 01:09:30 am »

A legendary armorsmith just migrated into my new fort. My old forts of this world never lasted beyond one year due to the undead of a necromancer so he is not one of my past dwarfs.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39322 on: January 26, 2015, 01:35:42 am »

With a population caps of 20, I got only 10 goblins per siege.
Maybe it is hard-coded? I've tried several times. Maybe I can try creating more wealth.

Well, this time they sent an army of 40, include trolls.

Well my 10 newly recruited soldiers did a good job. The draw bridge killed most of the goblins and the cage traps caught 8, leaving 6 trolls and 13 goblins to deal with. A hammerdorf was killed by a scourge to the brain. Really unlucky for him, but consider I didn't give them armors, the outcome was not too bad...

Now I have some goblinite to collect and a lots of rotten corpses to dump.

Shortly after the corpses were dumped, a diagnoser arrived to replace the dead dorf.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:13:58 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39323 on: January 26, 2015, 05:05:07 am »

Just drowned an experimental fort in salt water. Oops. Not quite all hands drowned yet though... I eventually found a dorf behind a closed door (and thus safe from the flood, but stranded under several Z levels of murky salt water).... He was pumping away industriously at the cistern desalination pump. "Oh... yeah... Forgot about you..." He is not, I might point out, the cause of the flood. But his demise is inevitable...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39324 on: January 26, 2015, 06:33:47 am »

Brushaxe became the mountainhome.  This was my goal, and I was all set to retire, but...

I got the best king ever.  He likes brass and greaves.  He is a legendary engraver.  The only thing he did that was even vaguely unpleasant was tax my FPS another 5 per frame  :P

I mean, now I have to go back to Urist McStinkyFoot who insists on a pyrite bed or something like that.  :(  I will miss the Bell of Alchemies and their awesome, worthy king.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39325 on: January 26, 2015, 08:51:42 am »

A new fort. Things were going along smoothly as far as beginning forts are concerned. That is, until the Giant Capuchins came. A whole troop of them, which first the dogs engaged, and then soon enough it was a general melee all over the map. For a while it was funny, watching the dorfs chasing the capuchins around, but then it got ugly as the primates got their licks in too.

My carpenter/expedition leader died to one of the capuchins, and I couldn't figure out for a little while why he hadn't used his axe. Turns out the creature had established a lock on the dwarf's right upper arm, and then let that go to grab and lock his right shoulder. The expedition leader kept punching the beastly thing in the head, until a severed artery meant the end for the dwarf meant to be my broker. He died literally to the monkey on his back.

I wound up having to use dfhack to exterminate the monkeys, and then it was difficult getting back to work on the fort because there were capuchin corpses everywhere. But things began to move along smoothly again.

A werebeast came just after the elves had done their trading and left. I can't remember right now what flavor of were it was, but it wound up running over to sit on the depot until it changed back into a child. An elf child. He seemed perfectly happy to remain there until the next time he would transform, so I drafted a miner and sent him out to kill/chase off the wereboy. Funnily enough, the miner/soldier no sooner got there when a tree sprung up (growing) right under the depot, breaking it. The elf kid ran off, the miner followed after a few moments and I chopped the tree and rebuilt the depot.

We also had an armadillo neighbor. In fact, we still do. He plunked himself down south of the fort and doesn't move. At all. Out of curiousity, I sent a miner down and channeled under the 'dillo, trying to see if it was bugged or something. The armadillo curled up as he fell into the hole, which promply filled with murky water, because he was right next to a pond. He's still there, even now. Still curled up so far as I can tell, in the water. Apparently curling up seems to keep him from drowning.

Got to love DF's many little quirks and glitches. They do amuse.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39326 on: January 26, 2015, 11:33:44 am »

We also had an armadillo neighbor. In fact, we still do. He plunked himself down south of the fort and doesn't move. At all. Out of curiousity, I sent a miner down and channeled under the 'dillo, trying to see if it was bugged or something. The armadillo curled up as he fell into the hole, which promply filled with murky water, because he was right next to a pond. He's still there, even now. Still curled up so far as I can tell, in the water. Apparently curling up seems to keep him from drowning.

See bugreport 0008627: Animals which retract into body parts forget to come out.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels breath: Seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39327 on: January 26, 2015, 11:41:50 am »

See bugreport 0008627: Animals which retract into body parts forget to come out.

Wonder if you can weaponize them. Pasture tame ones, wait for them to ball up, then cave-dust them into cages. Cages are then opened over your enemies, or small raisable bridges are set up as catapults, to rain armadillo death from above.
"Anything man can imagine is a possibility in reality."
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39328 on: January 26, 2015, 12:03:01 pm »

I built a castle. An awesome castle with 166 dwarves 119 of which are military and 41 of which are children and there aren't any goddamned goblins. I built a fortress that's now basically just a town.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39329 on: January 26, 2015, 01:01:18 pm »

Morale has amusing effects now. In my dread terrifying desert it constantly rains dwarf blood. The herds of camels that wander through every year or so always have a couple that spend the entire visit blinking "Overcome with horror" or similar. Finally got around to trapping a few and taming them. The two females are adapting to cave life just fine, but the male spends all his time "Wallowing in misery." Hopefully that isn't going to be a problem for breeding.

Now I need to design a dwarven camel washer. Dwarves take baths on their own, but if I don't do something about it these camels are going to be coated in dwarf blood until the end of time.
Pages: 1 ... 2620 2621 [2622] 2623 2624 ... 3836