Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2624 2625 [2626] 2627 2628 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788771 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39375 on: January 29, 2015, 09:04:58 am »

My first fort with the new release had got up to 100 dwarves, and we were busy carving and building and stuff.  Then the second forgotten beast arrived - a worm with wings that spat webs.  It went for the hospital well, but I had two squads stationed there already, and the other two running from the main cavern entrance.

The dwarves were completely decimated - legendary soldiers as well.

I watched in horror as it started on the rest of the fort, and recruited everyone into Marksdwarves squads.

Imagine an overgrown giant cave spider with wings AND an instant kill attack. That is your forgotten beast.

Anything that is really excessively big AND with webs (including most spider-shaped FB's/titans/demons) is overwhelmingly Fun and makes both bronze colossi and dragons have nightmares.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:09:09 am by Naryar »

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39376 on: January 29, 2015, 11:16:38 am »

"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"

Always a safe default assumption in this game  :)

Can I haz for sig plox?
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #39377 on: January 29, 2015, 03:16:21 pm »

I have a shit-ton of sentient animals now. Also I'm starting a rutherer breeding program with 3 females and one male.

EDIT: Earlier, a baby was orphaned by a GCS, so I started following him around. He grew into a child and can fend for himself now.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 03:20:37 pm by TheFlame52 »

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39378 on: January 29, 2015, 05:50:05 pm »

The Forgotten Beast Esnustotu has come! A towering humanoid composed of mud! Beware its webs!

OK, the webs could be a bit bad, I thought, but I've got a six-strong squad in full Īsteel armorĪ. They'll be OK.

The Forgotten Beast kicks The Macedwarf in the head with its left foot and the injured part collapses!

Nope. He punched and kicked them to death in a few seconds as if the armor wasn't there. The combat logs didn't even mention "through the Īsteel helmĪ".

Save scum. I'll trap him with bridges. Shall he become marksdorf target practice, or shall I test how much a floorful of Īsteel spike trapsĪ can hurt?

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39379 on: January 29, 2015, 07:56:28 pm »

Oh you got a web-spitting one too? Just as a migrant wave finished showing up I had a web-spitting slug with wings Titan appear. I was worried about the webs at first, but I had 20 elite swordmasters and axe lords at my disposal, plus an army of war grizzly bears!

They then proceeded to hack off the Titan's wings, spew its guts out, make numerous hits on it and turn it into a terrifying bloody wreck as none of that stopped its rampage while it bit all of their heads off. A save scum later, and I've locked myself inside with about eight of the new migrants not making it to safety, my dorfs furiously dishing out crossbows, quivers, and ammo.

KILL IT WITH BOLTS!

NeatHedgehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39380 on: January 29, 2015, 09:36:22 pm »

Drat, the siege prevented the dwarven caravan from showing up. I'm sure the militia could have dealt with the feeble ten goblin assault in a straight fight, but I didn't want to risk injuries. Instead, I holed everyone up and waited for them to try their luck in the tunnels of death.

The plan had a couple of hitches, though. First, only a single goblin fell into the Pit of Despair (a bridge connected to a pressure switch). A member of the militia, apparently seeking some item once dropped in the tunnel, ran along until he met one goblin. After a tense moment, he caved in the goblin's head with one deft blow before retreating back into the fortress. Just as the rest of the goblin forces passed by, their fallen comrade sprang to his feet, a freshly animated undead horror, and slaughtered one their ranks. This goblin, in turn, quickly animated and set upon the others behind him, and so forth, until the siege was broken and the only moving things in the tunnels were the shambling horrors of evil.

All in all, not too bad for the fort's first siege.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39381 on: January 29, 2015, 10:53:52 pm »

A dwarven diplomatic vampire from a different realm just arrived...while the web-spitting flying slug was still outside!

That's not going to be very good for relations if he dies... sally forth, my crossbow-armed militia dwarves!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39382 on: January 29, 2015, 11:04:59 pm »

10th year, No goblins any more.
Maybe I should retire.

The caravan was attacked by buzzards, so I reloaded the old save.
It is quite annoying to have such accidents. What's the fun spending half an hour viewing their goods only to be ruined by wild animals?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #39383 on: January 30, 2015, 12:04:10 am »

Business as usual but a civilian was attacked by a cave hat this time before military got to it.
The bat broke his knee as well as cut it open, also cut up his left hand so he can't stand or grasp.
He got sutured up and decided he wanted to crawl 40z levels down the stairs to get booze.

Another dwarf got attacked by an olm, so the dwarf dropped what he was doing and beat the olm to death with his fists, he eventualy got tired but by then 3 other civilians joined in on he beating. The carpenter who originaly got attacked was found to have military experience as a mace dwarf, so I assigned him to my spear/auxiliary squad and gave him a silver mace
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #39384 on: January 30, 2015, 12:10:03 am »

10th year, No goblins any more.
Maybe I should retire.

The caravan was attacked by buzzards, so I reloaded the old save.
It is quite annoying to have such accidents. What's the fun spending half an hour viewing their goods only to be ruined by wild animals?

Such is DF.
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39385 on: January 30, 2015, 12:22:10 am »

Oh just noticed I got over 10k stone boulders and 500 rough gems.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39386 on: January 30, 2015, 02:12:55 am »

While I really like all of the new features of the most recent version, I missed my dwarves from my 34.11 fortress.  I decided to dust that one off and tinker around some more.  Right now, it's a bit overwhelming.  I'm going to be VERY careful with levers that I'm not sure are connected to what!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39387 on: January 30, 2015, 05:57:28 am »

Always a safe default assumption in this game  :)

Can I haz for sig plox?

LOL of course... it would be an honor.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39388 on: January 30, 2015, 06:07:41 am »

Lividgloves was besieged by 10 living humans, 39 undead, and two necromancers from the local tower.  I was staring at the boiling horde of undead, wondering wtf to do now, and then I get the message "Invaders!  Drive them away!" twice.

Turns out the two necromancers had snuck away from their legions of undead and living servants and tried to get into the fort.  They had discovered my cage traps.  I laughed so hard I thought I might hurt myself.  They were unceremoniously stripped of their belongings (because I want a slab for display SO BAD... sadly they left it at home) and then they were both sent to swim in the sweet blood of Armok.

Now I just have to figure out how to convince the huge crowds in the south that they want to path towards the fort and cage traps... currently they are just circling down there going nowhere.  It's harshing my buzz.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:15:03 am by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39389 on: January 30, 2015, 06:24:40 am »

Pop. 185, Late Summer of 361 (Year 110)

Instead of the usual artifact gear, Sakzul Channeltree, one of the youngest members of the fortress churned out this figurine with a nice bit of history.

Gloomytamed
Pages: 1 ... 2624 2625 [2626] 2627 2628 ... 3835