Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2635 2636 [2637] 2638 2639 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5842838 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39540 on: February 05, 2015, 05:55:04 am »

I have once again come to the conclusion that it works best to start a fort, abandon it as soon as possible and reclaim, so that you start out with rooms pre-made and shit.

You can get pretty strategic with the equipment you bring as well then. But it takes a little out of the self-imposed challenge. Might as well double your embark points if you're going to exploit that. I also found that previous fort items are scattered only in areas that can access the map edge. If you block off all but a small area before abandom/reclaim, then you won't have your belongings scattered across all of the map and underground. So you might want to consider putting up fortifications with your first team as well, and seal off as much as the map as possible, then open it up again once you bring the main team.

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39541 on: February 05, 2015, 09:04:06 am »

Werebeast. Berserkers.
I am immensely saddened to hear that didn't work.
It did work; I just have one werebeast berserker instead of three.  If I get any more infected dwarves in the future, I'll have to assign them to separate burrows and separate squads.  Such is the price we must pay for awesomeness.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39542 on: February 05, 2015, 09:05:51 am »

The mayor got un-stressed after about a year of staying out of the rain, then went back to stressed without showing a negative thought. I _think_ he got involved in the re-make of Revenge of the Return of the Buzzard Clusterfuck. Those events cause a vengeful thought that gets scrubbed from thoughts almost instantly but seems to have the full impact on stress-prone dwarfs.

As a little bonus, a sheep ended up in a tree. One of the farmer's workshops lined up a milk animal job for it, but no-one felt obliged to help her down from the branches. I ordered a ramp and wall built adjacent to the tree when she went into starving status.

To keep my beards capable of doing outside work at normal speed (instead of puking their stomachs out and crawling about at 1/5 normal) i built a statue by the outside barracks and made it a room. The children love partying there and paint it a lush green. Seems that cave adaptation is ridiculously hard to lower.

Fiddling with Cart-Door Logic, the easy ability to do bifurcation on more than one axis (splitting minecart paths coming from e.g. two different possible input directions into a full four output paths) opens some pretty crazy avenues, like two-door D-Latches or a single-door-single-plate double-action edge detector.
Lolwut?
Double-action edge detector: a device that sends an on-off signal _cycle_ everytime its input _changes_. With only one plate, it sends the exact same signal cycle in either case; perfect if you want to start some machine with a lever flip but want the state to reset to neutral after each operation instead of running on forever (or until Urist goes off break and decides to reset the lever). In double-action mode, you can release a minecart projectile or dump a goblin on _every_ lever flip, regardless of direction.

Code: [Select]
#########    #########
#╔╔╗╚╚╚╗#    #╔^╗▲▲▲╗#
#╝║║###║#    #▲║║###║#
#╚║╚╗╗╗╝#    #╚D╚▲▲▲╝#
#╔╗######    #╔╗######
#║╚#         #║▲#
#║╚#         #║▲#
#║╚#         #║▲#
#╚╝#         #╚╝#
####         ####

track         buildings

^ - pressure plate
D - door operated by input

Simple, no?

While the door is closed, the cart is in the southern loop, constantly kept at maximum ramp speed by the three impulse ramps. When the door opens, it passes through, touches the pressure plate, turns around east and switches to the northern loop. It enters the loop and stays in it because it's too fast (and the impulse ramps keep it too fast) to care about normal corners, and its speed of well over two tiles per step means it never again touches the pressure plate after the first passage. When the door closes again, the cart can't pass the door and takes the corner instead, gets funnelled over the pressure plate once again and, thanks to its high speed, completely ignores the corners and opposing impulse ramp on its way back to the southern loop. Tried and proven.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 03:35:46 pm by Larix »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39543 on: February 05, 2015, 08:26:35 pm »

Buzzard problems.
More buzzard problems.
And now a beakless buzzard forgotten beast has come.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39544 on: February 05, 2015, 08:31:38 pm »

Werebeast. Berserkers.
I am immensely saddened to hear that didn't work.
It did work; I just have one werebeast berserker instead of three.  If I get any more infected dwarves in the future, I'll have to assign them to separate burrows and separate squads.  Such is the price we must pay for awesomeness.
I've never managed to get any werebeasts, but if you train them seperately then turn them back to civvies and put them together will they play nice?
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39545 on: February 05, 2015, 08:45:29 pm »

Some buzzards sneaked into my basement.
My dorfs couldn't do anything because they interrupted jobs.

Problem is, the area had been mined out and there're no floors left. I had to recruit a marksdwarf... but I doubt an untrained marksdwarf can hit anything flying.

Edit*

Ah great, the new recruit couldn't even pickup equipment because he was interrupted by buzzards.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:47:49 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39546 on: February 05, 2015, 08:54:27 pm »

I've noticed something odd through most of my forts.
Dwarves engrave alot more of people getting struck down by monsters then there are engravings of hero's killing the monsters.
Whats even wirder is dwarves are "blissful" after dining in the dinning hall that has sevral images of titans smacking down people left and right and a picture of a cod in the middle of it.
That makes sense. A Monster's death is a single historical event, but if killed 8 people that's 8 events. Which means 88.8% of pictures involving the beast will be the people it killed. Such are the perils of procedurally-generated artwork in a brutal fantasy world-generator.

And since your dwarves only care about the quality of the engraving, they don't freak out that their dining room is a gallery of death.

GiantCaveMushroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Born Pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39547 on: February 05, 2015, 09:11:23 pm »

I've noticed something odd through most of my forts.
Dwarves engrave alot more of people getting struck down by monsters then there are engravings of hero's killing the monsters.
Whats even wirder is dwarves are "blissful" after dining in the dinning hall that has sevral images of titans smacking down people left and right and a picture of a cod in the middle of it.
That makes sense. A Monster's death is a single historical event, but if killed 8 people that's 8 events. Which means 88.8% of pictures involving the beast will be the people it killed. Such are the perils of procedurally-generated artwork in a brutal fantasy world-generator.

And since your dwarves only care about the quality of the engraving, they don't freak out that their dining room is a gallery of death.

My fortress's mason, potter, and engravers only ever seem to make images of a Cyclops striking down the same dwarf.

The sheer amount of images of a Cyclops striking down Erith Rimvises makes me resort to selling all statues that says 'Erith...'.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39548 on: February 05, 2015, 09:57:37 pm »

After inspecting my fort's statues I've realised most of them relate to humans being struck down by wild animals, elves, and a tortoise monster. All of these take place in an area known as "The Righteous Forests".
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39549 on: February 05, 2015, 10:24:51 pm »

Just killing webbing Forgotten beasts with Ballista on my yet unfinished entrance bridge of death. Will be a 15 Z-level drop onto golden floors with steel spikes. The hallway on the left has fortifications and bridges that can be dropped by a lever to allow Marksdwarf firing.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:03:49 am by Borge »

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39550 on: February 05, 2015, 11:08:17 pm »

This idiot got so startled by a possum that he jumped into the fucking river and drowned.

. . . aaand the fucker was my only doctor. We are doomed.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #39551 on: February 06, 2015, 07:32:28 am »

As far as I remember, no dorf of mine has given birth to more than one baby in any of my forts. And today, a militia captain of the crossbow squad gave birth to triplets. I wonder if they will survive to adulthood.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39552 on: February 06, 2015, 07:45:39 am »

I learned that for a creature to be infected with a werecreature curse, the bitten body part must remain on their body.
This is why my fortress lost a tanner who was hurled into the caverns.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39553 on: February 06, 2015, 08:47:00 am »

The goblin civ sent a larger shipment of "terror" this time, about thirty mixed goblins and ten trolls or so. We still have no actual defensive architecture, so i waited for them to find the door and come inside, which once again resulted in all pastured animals getting slaughtered. We have six melee soldiers, four of them legendary.

One axelord went into a martial trance and carved a way through the entrance tunnel amidst a shower of limbs. No dwarf got hurt. We paid for the elven caravan's goods in troll fur clothing and have enough slightly used breastplates and helms for the autumn trade.

I guess i should make some defensive machinery next. Soldiers can make things too easy.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39554 on: February 06, 2015, 08:59:40 am »

Wait until your soldiers start collapsing from over-exertion killing things, then you're elites are just ripe for apike through the head.
Pages: 1 ... 2635 2636 [2637] 2638 2639 ... 3836