Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2636 2637 [2638] 2639 2640 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5856388 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39555 on: February 06, 2015, 09:04:19 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Looks like the FB is ran over by a train.

Inod Ducimrifot Berdeg Ozleb, Gem Cutter has created Nazomabir Sesh Stingbol, a cherry opal bucket!
Hmm, a gem bucket. Maybe I can upgrade the well.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:09:02 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39556 on: February 06, 2015, 09:19:51 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Looks like the FB is ran over by a train.
Let us just wait for DF version of Frogger.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Nomad_Monad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39557 on: February 06, 2015, 10:33:02 am »

Wait until your soldiers start collapsing from over-exertion killing things, then you're elites are just ripe for apike through the head.

I just lost an entire fort this way.  A cyclops arrived before I'd finished any armor, so I recruited everyone into a panic militia and ordered them to pummel it to death with their bare hands.

They ended up pummeling until they all collapsed in a pile, just outside the trap-lined entrance.  Then a goblin siege arrived...

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39558 on: February 06, 2015, 11:15:21 am »

Wait until your soldiers start collapsing from over-exertion killing things, then you're elites are just ripe for apike through the head.

Elites almost always have way too high endurance for that; at least if they got their experience through sparring and not by cheesing them up in a danger room. Even if they fall unconscious, which lasts one or two turns if they're not completely surrounded, their helmets alone make them damn hard to kill. I've had forces of six soldiers face off 120-goblin sieges in .34.11, and exertion didn't register as a potential issue. All the deaths of elites were caused by a single demonic goblin general's fire breath; elites are just that powerful when you don't piss them away by purposefully getting them surrounded by enemies.

PS: and the third siege consisted of 70 units, who this time didn't pile into the entrance properly. So upon sending them out, the spearmaster promptly dove right into the middle of the thickest heap and managed to pass out. Even earned a pikestab to the head, but the ☼iron helm☼ stopped all attacks short. He got a broken rib out of the deal and is so far the only dwarf who even got hurt (vs. 110 dead invaders). We collected so many corpses that we now have our first stressed-out dwarf in this fort. I guess that's the new strategy of the goblin civs: swamp the fort with corpses until the civilians go mad from horror overload.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:04:58 pm by Larix »

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39559 on: February 06, 2015, 12:26:44 pm »

Werebeast. Berserkers.
I am immensely saddened to hear that didn't work.
It did work; I just have one werebeast berserker instead of three.  If I get any more infected dwarves in the future, I'll have to assign them to separate burrows and separate squads.  Such is the price we must pay for awesomeness.
I've never managed to get any werebeasts, but if you train them seperately then turn them back to civvies and put them together will they play nice?

I'm not sure, but I think that the key is to prevent them from seeing each other when they transform. On-topic edit:

War leopard? Check.
Trained cave crocodiles? Check.
Caged giant cave spider? Check.
Werebeast hammerdwarf? Check.
Undead siege? Check.
Decorating literally every object in the fortress with masterwork bone? In progress.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:45:19 pm by Huntthetroll »

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39560 on: February 06, 2015, 05:03:45 pm »

Good evening, from Subtlehammers!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:06:36 pm by taptap »

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39561 on: February 06, 2015, 05:08:48 pm »

Some random fisher inherited the title of Duke.
It'll take some time to prepare quarters.
And then ignore their mandates, since I'm not setting up a justice system.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #39562 on: February 06, 2015, 06:12:08 pm »

I've had some annoyances with the cavern layer. I wanted to dig out a well filled with cavern water, which is fine, but then I also wanted to dig out some ore near the cavern opening...but I DIDN'T want to break out into the cavern layer proper. I figured I could set "automine ore" and just cancel the jobs so the dwarves wouldn't dig all the way through. Turns out it's VERY hard, since when automining the dwarves will select lots of tiles around them.

So I've had to fight various GCSs and such things. Then I found the floor below the cavern flooded. Turned out a troll had gotten in and destroyed all the floodgates. So, I had to pump out enough water to build a wall...once that was done I could pump out that floor and fix things up (or maybe I'll just dig downward and make an area to drain, since it's taking SO long to pump out).

I really want this fortress to succeed, since it has the most awesome name ever..."Empiresanvil".
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39563 on: February 06, 2015, 07:56:33 pm »

A swamp titan came; it's a humanoid composed of amber, with a knobby shell. It moves deliberately. Beware its deadly spittle!
I sent my entire military, 11 well-trained dwarves. Some civilians are also getting involved and dealing far more damage than you'd think.
Let's see how this plays out.
EDIT: It was extremely, EXTREMELY fast. A woodcutter with an iron axe and the head of the military, the most skilled hammerdwarf, half-crushed half-mutilated the titan, which was killed by a strike to the neck by the woodcutter. Said woodcutter got spat on by it in the leg, but should be fine, due to the fact it probably hit the woodcutter's pants.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39564 on: February 06, 2015, 08:12:13 pm »

I left the game running in the background and forgot one of the dorf were in strange mood.
When I checked the game again, the dorf had already gone berserk.
Since all of my dorfs were legendary soldiers in full steel, so it turned out to be really ugly.
Just when I thought it was impossible to kill him, a master lasher came and lashed his brain out in 1 hit.

Whips are still one of the best weapons against armor, it seems.

Now I'm going to reload the save and see what materials this dorf demanded.

Edit*
Well he wanted bones...and my bone carver had used up all the bones.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 08:17:33 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #39565 on: February 06, 2015, 08:17:21 pm »

Said woodcutter got spat on by it in the leg, but should be fine, due to the fact it probably hit the woodcutter's pants.
Look out, the dorf will wash the spittle off near the well and other dorfs will step in it, becoming infected. I lost 5 dorfs to FB poison that caused bleeding like this.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39566 on: February 06, 2015, 08:20:37 pm »

I don't have a well; they washed elsewhere.
Wait, no, I don't think they washed at all, the Clean job got cancelled and the extract remains on their dress.
I just find it easier to let them use water from the river, or the caverns during the small bit of winter the river and murky pools freeze.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39567 on: February 06, 2015, 08:28:49 pm »

The Giant Bat bites The Stray Dog in the neck and the severed part sails off in an arc!

The well turned out to be a big security problem. Things just flew in through it.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39568 on: February 06, 2015, 08:40:53 pm »

The elven diplomat arrived.
We're no duchy but have a duke for a very different site.
I mean, my fort has over 2500 logs, but it'd be fun to defy the elves.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #39569 on: February 07, 2015, 02:11:59 am »

I was trying to get my well working again. I had a constructed wall blocking off the water, then an area leading to the well, then a floodgate, then a long hallway to other stuff I didn't want to get flooded. Obviously what I wanted to do is deconstruct the wall, let the miner run through where the floodgate was, then close it. Simple.

And it worked! Sort of. The miner made it through the floodgate area and the floodgate was closed...unfortunately, her baby had been washed off her back and was left behind in 5/7 water.

Happy ending, though; I opened the floodgate and the baby was washed through, then I closed it. Everyone seems healthy enough. That's one tough baby...it probably has a swimming skill now.
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.
Pages: 1 ... 2636 2637 [2638] 2639 2640 ... 3836