Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2639 2640 [2641] 2642 2643 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5853521 times)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39600 on: February 08, 2015, 06:52:39 pm »

So, my entire map suddenly became wagon-inaccessible, what gives?
It is probably some tree spawning in the way, blocking the way with its companions. There have been even reports about trees that spawn under your main gate bridge and make it unusable. See how dangerous tress truly are.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39601 on: February 08, 2015, 07:01:38 pm »

Any married migrants? There should be some at least.

No, only some pairs of lovers.
And it seems goblins are dead, I haven't seen any goblins nor kobolds for ages since last mini-siege.

I'll wait for several more years before I remove the population limit.

A starling forgotten beast came. It had a boiling gas attack. It killed some animals, scared some Elks and Trolls into my cage traps before it was beheaded by the legendary gem cutter and axe lord.

Time to burrow the lovers in a 2x2 room. Give them booze and food till the pop some buggers.

Don't forget that their orientation may just have one or both of them to just stay as lovers and not get married.

They are not gay I can confirm.
But maybe they need big bedrooms?

All their bedrooms are 1x1. Since they are happy enough so I haven't expanded them yet.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #39602 on: February 08, 2015, 07:10:14 pm »

I made a new 1x1 fort using a near-dead dwarven civ. The theme is an animal training outpost and I'm doing pretty well. I have a giant hedgehog, several ravens and giant wrens, and several female giant keas. More keas are flying around interrupting jobs. I have three sides of the map circled with cage traps, but I'm running out of wood and stone for cages and mechanisms.

EDIT: I got a male kea and a giant opossum. I also made nest boxes and all the birds are laying.

EDIT2: The elves came BUT THEY DIDN'T BRING ANIMALS, I WISH I HAD A MILITARY SO I COULD SLAUGHTER YOU

EDIT3: I kinda have a military now, also I have 31 dwarves which is too many. How did this happen, Legends Viewer said there were only 8 dwarves in my civ, all nobles! Also:

WAIT

HOLY SHIT THAT'S A LOT OF GIANT WRENS

EDIT4: AND JUST AS MANY RAVEN HATCHLINGS

EDIT5: Things sure go fast at 100 FPS. I caught and tamed some horses and also some giant crows and a giant eagle.

EDIT6: I caught some giant sparrows and a breeding pair of giant kangaroos. The giant keas, despite having eggs in nest boxes, are not producing offspring. Maybe the eggs just take longer to hatch. The caravan this year arrived with an outpost liaison - strange. Pets outnumber dwarves five to one and I have domesticated giant wrens and ravens.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 08:50:29 pm by TheFlame52 »

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39603 on: February 08, 2015, 08:55:53 pm »

The elven diplomat and the olm-woman-vampire-lawgiver human diplomat have been chilling out at my fortress for a few months, just hanging out in the legendary dining hall with the dorfs, never bothering to actually talk to my king.

But, the humans and the elves are at war, so this was bound to end badly. I wish I had logs of the conversation that this was in response to, but the elf-diplomat suddenly spits at the olm-woman-vampire human diplomat-- and the elf is immediately pounded into a bloody pulp by a human hammerman and two dozen civillian dorfs, including a child.

Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39604 on: February 08, 2015, 08:57:03 pm »

Oh I wish I'd been there to see that happen. Must have been a really tense moment.

catten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39605 on: February 08, 2015, 09:40:06 pm »

Playing a new world with titan attack threshold lowered to 40 pop. First spring migration pushed the fort to nearly 50 and got somebody's attention:

The Brush Titan Atul Rikkirzuglar has come! A towering three-eyed chicken. It has two long, curly tails and it has a regal bearing. Its dark indigo feathers are fluffed-out. Beware its poisonous bite!

Naturally this happened right as a wave of migrants was wandering in.

FYI, this particular chicken *can* fly.

Activated the civilian alert and called up the ragtag militia. Five of my starting seven had discipline, wooden shields, bronze armor, and weapons (mostly picks) for just this sort of occasion. An additional four from the first summer migration also had shields, weapons (mostly axes) and partial bronze armor. None had any formal training yet, though--I've been busy trying to pierce the aquifer to get some decent underground digs.

Atul swooped down on my scattering dwarves and made quick work of a ranger, potter, shearer, and my best cook. The ranger suffered a poisoned bite, but the kick that exploded his head immediately after meant he didn't suffer much. Atul didn't bother with poison for the others, just wrestled them to the ground and kicked in their heads as well. Then the militia finally arrived and the tide quickly started to turn. The axedwarves got there first, but couldn't do much more than deliver paper cuts to its legs, feet, and tail (tho one lucky recruit managed to break a toe). Then the pick squad got to work delivering serious injuries to legs, wings and body. The best Atul managed after that point was to wrestle Tobul Fatharzes, my militia captain, to the ground (earning himself a crippled left wing). Right lung torn, leg broken, and guts spilled... Atul became enraged and began lashing out in every direction... but the militia easily dodged his flailing attacks. Finally, Tobul delivered a mortal blow to the neck, severing the spine and a large artery. Apparently he was still upset about being knocked down in front of his buddies.

Picks carried the day and there's regal chicken on the menu tonight, though it will be cooked badly---we miss you already, Kol!

Armor did its job---no fatalities or injuries after the the militia arrived. Seven are unhappy at being attacked and witnessing death, but being uninjured I expect they'll pull through.

All in all, it was a !!FUN!! day (for Atul).

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39606 on: February 08, 2015, 10:26:12 pm »

I found two legendary military dwarves in my fortress moat drowned. No idea how they fell in from the tower their barracks are in so I relocated the remaining dwarves to an underground barracks.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39607 on: February 08, 2015, 10:48:44 pm »

I found two legendary military dwarves in my fortress moat drowned. No idea how they fell in from the tower their barracks are in so I relocated the remaining dwarves to an underground barracks.

Keep in mind dorfs can dodge through walls(or any other obstacles) if they are sparring.
So my suggestion is leaving at least 1 tile between the barrack area and the wall.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=147139.msg5927513#msg5927513
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39608 on: February 09, 2015, 02:30:35 am »

A, that old bug. Another priority for the next fix...
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39609 on: February 09, 2015, 09:53:29 am »

My fort has been reduced to a couple of limping ogres and a dorf surrounded by ghosts. This is the 4th reclaim in two days. Fuck this site.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39610 on: February 09, 2015, 10:37:16 am »

Tamed ravens, giant wrens, and gray langurs.
Have breeding pairs of giant mosquitoes, giant keas, giant crows, and giant magpies.
A while ago giant peach-faced lovebirds attacked, sending everyone into depression. One fisherdwarf is cracking and three more are stressed. The fisherdwarf killed a dude, first death in this fort. I have a legendary three-man military. I put all my tamed exotics into a cage and I'm planning on donating it to the motherland, then abandoning and moving to a new world. I also had some werebadger attacks but nobody was killed, however I had to make a hospital to treat the wounded.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39611 on: February 09, 2015, 10:59:32 am »

I decided to expand my fortress's grand staircase down further, struck the magma sea a few levels down. Discovered adamantine.
Used the beard sense to see what parts were safe; the vein appears to start a ways up.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39612 on: February 09, 2015, 11:09:35 am »

Traded the cage (worth 18000 and weighing over 10000U) to the dwarves for wood, beer, and barrels. Bye, Shellcopper. That name is kind of ironic because 90% of my trade goods were pond turtle shell crafts.

For my next fort, I've modded the raws so that all giant animals can be trained. Fear my swarm of giant war sparrows!

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39613 on: February 09, 2015, 02:25:20 pm »

The outpost liaison just barely survived a beating by the undead corpse of a marksdwarf.  Now she's meeting with the mayor, offering to incorporate our fort as a barony.  I can't decide whether to treat this as a punishment or a reward.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39614 on: February 09, 2015, 02:42:16 pm »

The new fort, Letterfancied, is going well. However, my hunter/militiadwarf won't pick up bolts. Why?
Pages: 1 ... 2639 2640 [2641] 2642 2643 ... 3836