Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2791 2792 [2793] 2794 2795 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5925195 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41880 on: June 13, 2015, 11:11:52 pm »

If you put a fire breather, web shooter, or magma crab in the cart and launch it, does it shoot it's projectiles while it flies?

My guess is they'll try if they have a brief instance to attack as they go along.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41881 on: June 13, 2015, 11:23:29 pm »

I just tapped my aquifer from below for use of extensive water projects.  This has taken 2 years of fort time to prepare for, as I needed to excavate quite extensive pits to get down to the magma sea for my magma pumps. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't know why people are scared of these things... The water flow is weak enough that I tried to tap three tiles at once for greater flow.  Unfortunately, two miners tried to mine at once, and my slowest miner got there first, so even canceling and re-designating mining, she only took out two tiles before having to flee back to the safety of the door due to dangerous water levels.  Also, don't worry about that boulder, the water levels are low enough when I open the door that haulers can grab them and prevent door blockage.  (I have a floodgate and a door, and everything is paved over but the ramps I had to dig up into the aquifer.)

In other news, Qrox's live fire archery training course works very well when my dwarves behave themselves.  My squad captain went from absolute rookie to competent in 75 bolts and a week or so.  Unfortunately, getting them to reload is somewhat troublesome, as they'd rather stare at the trapped giant toad and hurl harsh language rather than collect some more bolts.  Also, one of my dwarves refuses to wear his quiver in spite of it being assigned to him.  I will have to slap him later.

EDIT: Slight update.

When I was expanding my plumbing due to an initial miscalculation, I removed a constructed wall for my waterwheel reservoir/dwarven reactor.  I then forgot to rebuild that constructed wall to seal it back up before opening water into the reservoir. 

It's a good thing I never work with water without having several redundant drains and dooring off segments of the fortress...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 11:46:47 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41882 on: June 14, 2015, 02:09:14 am »

I just tapped my aquifer from below for use of extensive water projects.  This has taken 2 years of fort time to prepare for, as I needed to excavate quite extensive pits to get down to the magma sea for my magma pumps. 

I don't know why people are scared of these things... The water flow is weak enough that I tried to tap three tiles at once for greater flow.  Unfortunately, two miners tried to mine at once, and my slowest miner got there first, so even canceling and re-designating mining, she only took out two tiles before having to flee back to the safety of the door due to dangerous water levels.  Also, don't worry about that boulder, the water levels are low enough when I open the door that haulers can grab them and prevent door blockage.  (I have a floodgate and a door, and everything is paved over but the ramps I had to dig up into the aquifer.)

In other news, Qrox's live fire archery training course works very well when my dwarves behave themselves.  My squad captain went from absolute rookie to competent in 75 bolts and a week or so.  Unfortunately, getting them to reload is somewhat troublesome, as they'd rather stare at the trapped giant toad and hurl harsh language rather than collect some more bolts.  Also, one of my dwarves refuses to wear his quiver in spite of it being assigned to him.  I will have to slap him later.

EDIT: Slight update.

When I was expanding my plumbing due to an initial miscalculation, I removed a constructed wall for my waterwheel reservoir/dwarven reactor.  I then forgot to rebuild that constructed wall to seal it back up before opening water into the reservoir. 

It's a good thing I never work with water without having several redundant drains and dooring off segments of the fortress...
'

archers: the second greatest mystery in our universe right after magnets..

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41883 on: June 14, 2015, 08:10:20 am »

Managed to get steel armor for all 50 dwarves using wood as a fuel source. Used up all the wood, and had to wait almost a season to get more trees to regrow. 

Now I have trouble with Kia people, though they do seem strangely fond of wooden corkscrews...as such, I have set a ring of cage traps around a corkscrew stockpile. It's working rather well.

Gave all the bones from slaughtered animals to the elves.  I really wish they still brought raw wood, they'd be much more useful if they did...
If they want wooden corkscrews so much you better put some of those corkscrews into weapon traps around corkscrew stockpile. They will get their precious ones though maybe a bit more impale way then they would like.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41884 on: June 14, 2015, 08:34:50 am »

I've removed the Dwarf Cap of 50 on my fort now it is ready for the floodgates [Damn you Platinum everywhere boosting my fort wealth like mad!] to be opened. [It's capped at ~180; which is about as much as I can smoothly handle]. I've still got a hole in my roof, but that won't be the case for much longer. [I need to make ~100 more blocks]

I've also managed to get functional marksdwarves actually training. And I've finally figured out how to get a clothes industry running as well; making cloth from plants. My food is sorted between eggs and loads and loads of plants [Not just Plump Helmets. We have Watermelons and some other above-ground fruits we grow], although I'd like a meat and leather industry. Especially since I need more bones. Sadly; my Turkies kept in a locked room lay infertile eggs every time right now.

I'm currently preparing to open up the Caves. Before I do this however I want to get two melee squads prepared; one for guarding the caves; and the other for guarding above ground [In case hidden enemies come in before I can close the gate to allow marksdwarves to do work.]

I'm taking it a lot more slowly than usual. Usually by this point I've opened the caves and laid cage taps everywhere which quickly get filled by Crundles.

Also; still no sign of Goblins or Humans despite them being listed in my neighbours screen. Apparently only the hippies want to see me.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41885 on: June 14, 2015, 09:25:49 am »

starting a new building project. code name: thatprojectitalkedtokohakuabout.

i have a very nice starting spot,it has a lot of hematite on the surface
  and i have this nice little brook to which im going to make my fort. its going to be just fine..as long as i dont hit any stupid clay or sand or dirt...

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41886 on: June 14, 2015, 10:34:27 am »

Sazirmidor (Bridgepower) from the world "The Legend Universe", the world of "detros" seed, has some news:
* good: one year celebrated
* bad: weregecko appeared
* good: more migrants arrived
* bad: weregecko killed two dwarves
* good: weregecko got captured
* probably bad: one more dwarf got injured and is now waiting for next full moon in his cell
* probably good: one of new colonists with a bit of skill in weaponcrafting got strange mood (hopefully not possesed one) and took one log and one bar of steel to forge
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41887 on: June 14, 2015, 10:38:55 am »

Yet more tragedy strikes the stalwart and industrious dwarves of Steamplains!

One of my hard-working farmers was injured by falling rope reeds!  Was it workplace accident or dastardly sabotage?!

My "greenhouse" above-ground farm has a ramp up to the above-aquifer soil layers in the forest from the desert biome where I carved most of my fort.  It has a farm, but also space for tree farming surface trees in the forest biome, and I have it marked as a plant gathering zone.  For reasons I don't understand, rope reeds were dropped on top of the hatch, so when my farmer came up the ramp and opened the hatch, the rope reeds fell on him.

This wouldn't be a problem, as they're light, and it's only a 1z drop, but somehow, while one rope reed was deflected by a pig tail mitten, the other hit the upper torso, and bruised the lung, shutting down lung function. 

This, of course, triggered my crack battlefield recovery team to spring once more into action.  Fresh from their horrible experience with that worker getting a bee sting, they tackled the dwarf and dragged her away from the farm she was still trying to plant seeds within.  Doc Dour, my Chief (and only) Medical Dwarf had already strategically planned a nap.  After throwing my farmer on the bed, the farmer promptly got back up and ran back to the farm, because lung function had already resumed. 

In other news, the human caravan left its wagons behind because "the depot was inaccessible".  It turns out traps now keep wagons out.  Reading the wiki, this has been the case for the past couple versions... I never really did a serious 0.34 fort, so I'm running into these "Wait, that changed?! WHEN?!" things pretty often...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41888 on: June 14, 2015, 10:56:53 am »

project that thing that i talked about with kohaku failed due to bad irrigation system.

will begin project that thing i talked about with kohaku mk.2

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41889 on: June 14, 2015, 01:33:53 pm »

Despite normally despising doors, I'm using them in my new buildings. I've made a building with at least 1 of each necessary workshop on the second floor, with a statue garden in the first. The nearby building has three above ground garden plots, and one below ground. I've placed a well on the brook. The mining went over rather well, and now I'm paranoid to go deeper. I'll branch out on the sedimentary layer a bit, get me some more iron. I'll also place a building over the spot where the mine entrance is. After a while, I'll simply floor over the stairs. Turn this part of the world into a giant storage area.

Oh, did I mention that the whole thing is perfectly flat, because I channeled a bumpy map four levels down to the river level? That took two years.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41890 on: June 14, 2015, 03:18:43 pm »

Is it worth carrying out a genocide of human and goblin and troglodyte prisoners (50) to bring down lag? As I have ~150 pets freeroaming outside? Or should I slaughter LOTS of animals?

Just realised that despite the fact that there were 63 units not from the fortress or livestock/pets on the map, 59 were in cages, 3 were inacessible in the cavern river and hadn't moved 1 tile from the edge in a year, and one troglodyte was surrounded by the traps used to catch his brethren hastily being refilled.

I feel kinda bad now.
One wheel short of a wagon

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41891 on: June 14, 2015, 03:30:27 pm »

Is it worth carrying out a genocide of human and goblin and troglodyte prisoners (50) to bring down lag? As I have ~150 pets freeroaming outside? Or should I slaughter LOTS of animals?

Just realised that despite the fact that there were 63 units not from the fortress or livestock/pets on the map, 59 were in cages, 3 were inacessible in the cavern river and hadn't moved 1 tile from the edge in a year, and one troglodyte was surrounded by the traps used to catch his brethren hastily being refilled.

I feel kinda bad now.

kill everybody.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41892 on: June 14, 2015, 03:31:32 pm »

I feel kinda bad now.
kill everybody.

I should probably post on the sig thread some time.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 04:00:50 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41893 on: June 14, 2015, 03:40:15 pm »

Thanks to the heavily forested map and some shipments form the mountainhome, I've got a heavily booming textile industry, with a mixture of rope reed, pig tail, and hemp plants growing year round, and wool being my training material. I also have a legendary bone carver/wood crafter, a legednary wood crafter/mason, a legendary armourmsith/metal crafter, and proficient dyer/clothesmaker.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41894 on: June 14, 2015, 06:08:53 pm »

I feel kinda bad now.

Unless they are grazers, you're probably better off just jamming all your excess animals into a cage.  Feel free to put it in your dining room, so that dwarves with preferences for those animals can have blissful thoughts seeing fifty pigs jammed into a single cage.  Also, remember that animals in small pastures path less.  A one tile pasture is all you need for a non-grazer.  If you butcher them all at once, you'll create a giant mess of render fat jobs and a ton of items to stockpile.

Also, caged goblins have no real FPS impact.  That said, feel free to strip them of weapons and use them as live training for your melee dwarves. 

Also, remember that you can create a pasture that is exactly one tile large as a pasture for non-grazer animals, and they are perfectly content to stay in that one tile.  Put your breeders in such areas to keep them always exactly one tile from a mate. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 2791 2792 [2793] 2794 2795 ... 3838