Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2844 2845 [2846] 2847 2848 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5864323 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42675 on: August 09, 2015, 02:06:10 pm »

Dump their stuff before pitting 'em
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42676 on: August 09, 2015, 05:13:12 pm »

The elves didn't seem to mind too much after Violentlash's dwarves decided that trees were an obstruction on the battlefield outside, as well as way too flamable, and choped down every last tree on half of the map (- it is devided into 3 parts by two rivers, can't be bothered to ever go over to the other two sides). 350 chopped trees and ~3000 logs later, they also decided that "never shall there be any trees again on our part of this area!" and paved over almost the entire area using stoneware bricks (almost 6000).

Quite confused about how the elves didn't really mind breaking the lumber limit agreement and paving half the area, they also decided to chop down another 200 trees in the caverns - which ... didn't seem to cause any diplomatical issues either. Starting a war with elves is harder than it would appear...

Those failed attempts at starting a war with pesky hippies aside, my stress research didn't really get anywhere new lately.
Test Subject #13 (goblin spearwoman) died as a corpse smashed her apart...always knew the garbage dump wasn't a safe place, still, quite astonishing how long she survived down there, chained up in a small alcove, running back and forth in a berserk rage on the two tiles she could access. Her stress leve had been at 999'999 for quite some time without any effect...
Test Subject #14 (the male goblin recruit) also died. I released him on the surface after he went berserk. Was somewhere around 500-600k stress. I really wanted to see him leave the map, but he just wandered around near where he was released and interefered with my "anti-hippie"-project, so I let my marksdwarves take care of him. Maybe if I had released him directly near the map border he would've left...
Test Subject #15 (the female goblin recruit) is still alive though, also having gone berserk I decided to put her in a room filled with a bed, table, chairs, statues, engraved walls, floor...all the things that normally make a dwarf happy. When I put her in she was at 548'463 stress, now she has dropped to 397'243 stress. I highly doubt she will snap out of the berserk rage ... buuut ... I still want to see what happens when she's not stressed anymore! If nothing happens I'll just put her on the surface near the map border, hoping she leaves the map - just to see what legends will say.

(Also noticed that I actually have two dwarves who are "obsessed with details"...not like I had been creating enough masterworks already...)
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42677 on: August 09, 2015, 05:52:54 pm »

The elves didn't seem to mind too much after Violentlash's dwarves decided that trees were an obstruction on the battlefield outside, as well as way too flamable, and choped down every last tree on half of the map (- it is devided into 3 parts by two rivers, can't be bothered to ever go over to the other two sides). 350 chopped trees and ~3000 logs later, they also decided that "never shall there be any trees again on our part of this area!" and paved over almost the entire area using stoneware bricks (almost 6000).

Quite confused about how the elves didn't really mind breaking the lumber limit agreement and paving half the area, they also decided to chop down another 200 trees in the caverns - which ... didn't seem to cause any diplomatical issues either. Starting a war with elves is harder than it would appear...

I read somewhere that the tree limits were actually a bug... but I might be wrong about that. I haven't exactly done much with elves.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #42678 on: August 09, 2015, 08:24:35 pm »

Rocksgazes survived an entire year! A record for my forts in modern DF. A goose is currently betraying her secret identity as Supergoose, floating in midair fin front of a waterfall. She's been there an entire year.

39 moronsDwarves call the fledgling fort home. A low wall is built, a hospital constructed though I have no competent (relatively speaking) medial staff to man it. Once I have time, I have the dwarfpower to start a military and focus labors down instead of having each dwarf do nearly everything.

The interesting thing, is it's an untamed wilds biome, so I should have seen some more dangerous wildlife. I did, upon entering the area, but the alligators took one look and left. The Spider-men never showed, though I have webs all over the place with corpses.

I have Supergoose and Spider-men.

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42679 on: August 09, 2015, 08:29:29 pm »

Wasn't really interested Spinrazors becoming a barony in the year 127. So of course halfway into the year 128 the blasted ruler of my realm up and expired, and the heir apparent was a nearly-proficient potter in my fortress.

Didn't have a good blacksmith, so I started one training and had my legendary carpenter whip up a few goodies to at least appease my new king in his vast, positively (but not, sadly, literally) cavernous quarters. The blacksmith didn't make it past dabbling before he went secretive, and built a statue with my single imported gold bar (I managed to forbid the pig iron in time).

I keep having to remind myself that this is the freaking king, no it actually can't be too impractical or too sumptuous. He likes platinum, and prospect tells me there's a little... Not too proud to say I used reveal to find it (there's only 76 tiles of it on my map). So, masterwork platinum throne and a set of seven or eight platinum statues are on the list. I've got the blackie doing steel statues right now, and I've got gobs of silver ore so I'll be scattering silver statues in my lesser noble quarters and statue gardens.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 08:31:22 pm by Scorch »
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #42680 on: August 09, 2015, 09:17:24 pm »

1) Find power outlet in woods
2) Play DF on laptop
3) ? ? ?
4) Rob the godamn elves and profit!

This fort is the strangest thing. Savage giant birds constantly cause cancellation spam, but so far after two goblin sieges (wiped out by my first really successful military) and five years I've had a grand total of one fatality, and it was a mining accident.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42681 on: August 09, 2015, 10:11:00 pm »

2) Play DF on laptop
3) ? ? ?

This fort is the strangest thing. Savage giant birds constantly cause cancellation spam, but so far after two goblin sieges (wiped out by my first really successful military) and five years I've had a grand total of one fatality, and it was a mining accident.

Flabort, I will say you're doin' great right now!  Keep up the good work!

Unfortunately, another of my fortresses have been thwarted by a blue-haired slug that breathes fire.  I think Dwarf Fortress is telling me one thing:  Embark by a volcano if I want my darn magma.  I'm sure if I try again with importing magma from the caves/magma sea to the fort a third time, the game will know and fling a forgotten beast blob made of steel with deadly dust to make me regret my magma greed.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #42682 on: August 09, 2015, 10:12:37 pm »

2) Play DF on laptop
3) ? ? ?

You found a power outlet in the woods?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42683 on: August 10, 2015, 01:29:34 pm »

Did I mention that, if I could rename Violentlash - my fortress -, I'd call it "RAINHELL"? It is raining 95% of the time, and no, that is not exaggerated. Only for a week or two every few year it says "The weather has cleared" ... sadly it doesn't snow on ground level, only a bit on my towers every now and then.

Oh. And I had a cave crocodile-splosion. You say a catsplosion is bad? Imagine 12 nestboxes suddenly errupting into literally 510 cave crocodile hatchlings...
It actually happened some time ago, they should be grown up in a year, I think. Not sure what to do with them though...took me several hours of ~4 FPS to get them all in a single cage. No idea how they all fit in there, buuuut ... let's hope they never ever find a way out again, I barely made it through the low FPS phase they caused...

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42684 on: August 10, 2015, 02:17:02 pm »

Did I mention that, if I could rename Violentlash - my fortress -, I'd call it "RAINHELL"? It is raining 95% of the time, and no, that is not exaggerated. Only for a week or two every few year it says "The weather has cleared" ... sadly it doesn't snow on ground level, only a bit on my towers every now and then.

Oh. And I had a cave crocodile-splosion. You say a catsplosion is bad? Imagine 12 nestboxes suddenly errupting into literally 510 cave crocodile hatchlings...
It actually happened some time ago, they should be grown up in a year, I think. Not sure what to do with them though...took me several hours of ~4 FPS to get them all in a single cage. No idea how they all fit in there, buuuut ... let's hope they never ever find a way out again, I barely made it through the low FPS phase they caused...

Make a croc-bomb to unleash on the next siege that shows up. Pray to Armok it doesn't come to that but record the whole thing if/when it does.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #42685 on: August 10, 2015, 02:31:06 pm »

I managed to avert the possible one at Bastiongate, by only letting two females keep their eggs. The rest had their eggs taken. I butchered most of the resulting 50+ hatchlings, too.

I did later get hit with a helmet-snake-splosion, though.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42686 on: August 10, 2015, 03:28:57 pm »

Make a croc-bomb to unleash on the next siege that shows up. Pray to Armok it doesn't come to that but record the whole thing if/when it does.
That sounds quite fun, I worry about the FPS though, buuut...hmmm...still sounds like fun!
Or maybe I unleash them upon the "more !!FUN!! beings I got roaming around in a secured area on a very low level of my fortress". Though I doubt they'll last long, probably end up as insta-cooked croc-chops.

I managed to avert the possible one at Bastiongate, by only letting two females keep their eggs. The rest had their eggs taken. I butchered most of the resulting 50+ hatchlings, too.

I did later get hit with a helmet-snake-splosion, though.
Well, I wanted to increase my croc-population. Somehow they weren't breeding at all at first, then I slaughtered quite a few of the males and just left the rest in a sealed off room with 12 nestboxes... And suddenly the messages of inevitable and unforgiving FPS-doom appeared: "Cave crocodile hatchlings have hatched."
Worst thing was, at the same time I was also dumping old clothes and such...so, no dwarf really cared much about all the crocs that were supposed to go into the one cage.

I noticed quite often that even though there's a lot to do many dwarves just go idle in the dining room/meeting hall. As if parties weren't bad enough already...
The game is probably at capacity with all the items and all I got or something.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #42687 on: August 10, 2015, 04:16:13 pm »

500 helmet snakes seems like a good last resort weapon, or moat filling.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #42688 on: August 10, 2015, 04:44:00 pm »

It was more like 150, and my moat is already filled with lava.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #42689 on: August 10, 2015, 05:44:55 pm »

--
You found a power outlet in the woods?
Tea, too. And about 500 other campers. Really it was less "the woods" and more "miniature version of civilization", but it was still at a campground and we still slept in our camping trailer, and my battery died twice because I only had access to power for roughly 1 hour per day.

Anyways, I'm down to about 9 fps. So I'm going to share a link to that fort, just because.
Fort. (Region 3, rename if you wish)

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 05:47:11 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 2844 2845 [2846] 2847 2848 ... 3836