Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2913 2914 [2915] 2916 2917 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5853068 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43710 on: November 03, 2015, 03:48:39 am »

Use a free image hosting site like http://imgur.com/ or https://img.ie/ to upload your screenshots, paste the image urls into bbcode image tags, which look like this: (img)yoururlhere.jpg(/img) except with [square brackets].

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43711 on: November 03, 2015, 04:17:39 am »

Use a free image hosting site like http://imgur.com/ or https://img.ie/ to upload your screenshots, paste the image urls into bbcode image tags, which look like this: (img)yoururlhere.jpg(/img) except with [square brackets].

Thanks for that, Flying Dice

This is what the area whehttp://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=post;topic=15096.43785;last_msg=6588675#re the forgotten beast attacked looked like afterwards.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It was a lot worse a bit earlier, but i had't worked out how to take screenshots until a few of the bodies had already been cleared up.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #43712 on: November 03, 2015, 09:42:40 am »

!!SOCKS!!
SOCKS IT IS!!!

After forbidding all the non-rotting FB and demon silk, I have set my clothiers to making silk socks! LONG-NAMED SILK SOCKS FOR EVERYONE!!!

Fun fact: I have seven different varieties of forgotten beast silk.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43713 on: November 03, 2015, 10:37:26 am »

!!SOCKS!!
SOCKS IT IS!!!

After forbidding all the non-rotting FB and demon silk, I have set my clothiers to making silk socks! LONG-NAMED SILK SOCKS FOR EVERYONE!!!

Fun fact: I have seven different varieties of forgotten beast silk.

Impressive.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43714 on: November 03, 2015, 11:13:52 am »

You could reserve some from the sock industry and sew images with it onto your marksdwarves' leather armour.

I was confused when you said that the cloth was "literally" rotting in your stockpile.  Cloth rots?

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43715 on: November 03, 2015, 01:29:41 pm »

Since I moved out a week ago, I've been letting DF run on its own while I sleep and go to class, pausing only for strange moods and trade caravans (or perhaps I should say THE trade caravan, since there are no humans or elves in this world) and auto-saving every season. This has let me progress much faster than I have before, but it's had some drawbacks. Sometimes the strange mood or trade caravan will come not too long after I leave or go to sleep, leaving my computer doing nothing for hours. Then there are times like this morning where the game crashes and I lose an entire night/day worth of progress; specifically this morning I lost an in-game month, which was about the time it took my miners to channel out another level. It seems, though, to have been a blessing in disguise, since this morning's strange mood required shells and I haven't had any of those in years. Hopefully, I will never see any strange moods that require shells ever again, but maybe I should create a pond outside to generate pond turtles just in case I don't want my miners to get sick in the sun.

You know, maybe one or more of my new cavern creatures should have shells; who wouldn't love to have a herd of hippo-turtles that they could breed and keep around not only for meat but as an emergency shell supply too?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 01:40:04 pm by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43716 on: November 03, 2015, 01:51:35 pm »

You could reserve some from the sock industry and sew images with it onto your marksdwarves' leather armour.

I was confused when you said that the cloth was "literally" rotting in your stockpile.  Cloth rots?
I made this cloth back in the first years of my fortress. Cloth rots one level about every 20 years. Bastiongate turned 51 today.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43717 on: November 03, 2015, 02:19:37 pm »

The latest generation of cave crocodiles has been purged of non-desirables and is now being moved to the same pasture as their parents, where there are next boxes waiting for them. After waiting a few months for any eggs that could have been fertilized by non-desirables to be laid and taken away, I will disable egg collection and hopefully create another crocsplosion, not to mention the explosions of other egg layers.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43718 on: November 03, 2015, 04:24:33 pm »

Out of all cavern creatures, which is the best to farm for bones?

If all else fails, I may have to start farming demons for bones. I don't want to do that because it stresses my dwarves.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43719 on: November 03, 2015, 05:07:58 pm »

Out of all cavern creatures, which is the best to farm for bones?

If all else fails, I may have to start farming demons for bones. I don't want to do that because it stresses my dwarves.
Wait a minute, you NEED to farm for bones? You don't just have enormous stockpiles of them sitting around that your bonecarvers are slowly chipping away at, even though it's becoming an increasingly Sisyphean task as you slaughter more and more animals?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43720 on: November 03, 2015, 05:31:05 pm »

I haven't been slaughtering animals except recently. I chewed through my entire Sisyphean pile of bones soon after I enabled the constant training trick on my marksdwarves. Two bonecarvers constantly carving bones could barely keep up! And after all the bones were gone, I butchered all but four of each kind of animal that made bones and I didn't need. If only VCC had bones.

And even then, all that butchering produced so much meat that I had to start dumping it. Hell, I already dump half my fresh produce because there's so much of it. Every year, Bastiongate produces around ten years of food.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43721 on: November 03, 2015, 06:12:44 pm »

The wiki states that a dwarf needs about 2 units of food per season. There are 4 seasons in a year, so a dwarf needs 8 units of food per year, hereby referred to as food-years.

Bastiongate has a little over 15000 meals, which is ~1900 food years. Divided by 209 dwarves is just over 9 years. I sold all my meals about 3 years ago, but I've been dumping a significant portion of my fort's food, so this isn't a good gauge of how much food I produce. I could probably make 10 years of food per year if I really tried.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #43722 on: November 03, 2015, 06:21:19 pm »

puu.sh is also a good site for uploading images.

It also makes me sad that FB silk is still only worth as much as normal silk (and much less than GCS silk)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43723 on: November 03, 2015, 06:33:47 pm »

I know that pain. I've been selling off all my meals too, but every year. My fortress is locked at 170 despite me raising the cap in the dinit file (is this a common error?), so I'll never need more than 1360 meals and 3400 a year, and I could easily manage that with just the cheese and eggs of the creatures I have now.

Thank you, by the way. Your post has inspired me to finally start building that magma pumpstack so that I can create the Great Obsidian Block and end my storage crisis once and for all.

Oh god, I'm going to have to figure all the layouts for all the rooms I need......and build all that masterwork golden furniture.....and encrust it with gems and decorate it with bones....and I'll need to recruit my miners as engravers to get all the floor and wall work done.....
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 06:44:47 pm by cochramd »

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43724 on: November 03, 2015, 06:56:25 pm »

*patpat*

Digging around looking for metals and the first cavern layer (which for once is avoiding me), and eventually got fed up with trying to find iron that I went and DFhack'd a prospect all...and guess who's on an ironless map! ME =D

Best part is that I'm swimming in flux stone.

So now I have to work out what to make my stuff out of while I wait for caravans to bring me all their iron to melt down and turn into steel. I have access to copper and silver (via tetrahedrite and galena, no "this is silver ore" on this map either) so I'm debating making some silver weapons for my blade-using people...copper is okay but...yeah. Annoyingly I don't have tin either so no bronze armour. I am going to be wary of doing too much with my guys until I can get some actual armour for them @_@
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.
Pages: 1 ... 2913 2914 [2915] 2916 2917 ... 3836