Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2914 2915 [2916] 2917 2918 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5847797 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43725 on: November 03, 2015, 07:23:04 pm »

I know that pain. I've been selling off all my meals too, but every year. My fortress is locked at 170 despite me raising the cap in the dinit file (is this a common error?)
Sentient pets born in the fort count towards the pop cap. That's the only thing I can see causing your problem. I have one tame troglodyte, which is why I have 209 dwarves instead of 210.

so I'll never need more than 1360 meals and 3400 a year, and I could easily manage that with just the cheese and eggs of the creatures I have now.
I feel you. Now that I've replaced cats with modded vermin-hunting crundles, the eggs are really piling up. DFhack's exterminate tells me I have exactly 50 cave dragons and 29 giant sparrows, which also supply me with eggs.

My meals are about 50/50 eggs and flour roasts and massive demon meat roasts.

Wait a minute, I just realized something. I have tortoise brutes that I don't kill because their poisonous blood might get on my marksdwarves, and because they're much harder to catch. TORTOISE brutes. I think I might be able to get shells from them. No dwarf will have to die like that herbalist did!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43726 on: November 03, 2015, 08:06:40 pm »

For a moment, I thought I made a digging designation incorrectly and nearly lost my will to continue with Crowgravel. Then I looked over what features Modest Mod offered, how nice some tilesets are, and thought about how fun it would be to play in a world where certain animals didn't exist. That caused me to completely lose my will. Here's my last training screen from Crowgravel:

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the mod section of the forums, having people proofread my custom creatures.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #43727 on: November 03, 2015, 09:58:41 pm »

I wish I could make some of that huge list of domesticated creatures appear only with humans/elves and not dwarves. I don't know, ducks just aren't very dwarfy.

I also wish that designating a barracks didn't cause everybody in the military to drop everything and go Individual Combat Drill for seemingly forever, even though the schedule's set to only require 1 to train. I'm sure that didn't used to happen, and I needed a couple of their jobs. :|
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43728 on: November 03, 2015, 10:03:12 pm »

I wish I could make some of that huge list of domesticated creatures appear only with humans/elves and not dwarves. I don't know, ducks just aren't very dwarfy.

I also wish that designating a barracks didn't cause everybody in the military to drop everything and go Individual Combat Drill for seemingly forever, even though the schedule's set to only require 1 to train. I'm sure that didn't used to happen, and I needed a couple of their jobs. :|

Y'know, I thought that was odd too, but I also thought "Oh, hey, their raising their discipline! Carry on, gents."

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43729 on: November 03, 2015, 11:02:14 pm »

Year 54.  Population is now 178.  There was a tricky moment at the beginning of spring when I was just about to deal with a new forgotten beast and some goblins arrived to distract me from that.  While I was distracted, a second FB entered the cavern, which caused the first one to find an out of the way spot and camp.  Eventually the second one sniffed the first and they had a fight, which the second FB lost, leaving the first one still camped.  It wouldn't move even when I opened up a clear path to my fort, which usually tempts them into my trap.

I had to send military down to deal with it (because i did want it dealt with), and then discovered that I also needed to send a woodcutter to give the soldiers access to the FB.  Of course that could have been a disaster, but the woodcutter who responded to the call was adequately cowardly and ran quickly away.  The FB had deadly spittle, but didn't manage to hit any of my dwarves with it, so NBD there.

We've caught another cave dragon.  Yay!  It's a second female.  Boo!

I also uncovered a strange and alarming ... bug? I suppose? ... in which pitting a goblin renders any on-site merchants hostile.  I don't understand why it is the case.  The merchants can't even see the goblin at any point, but the moment my hauling dwarf releases the goblin to fall into the magma, merchants become hostile.

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #43730 on: November 03, 2015, 11:05:54 pm »

Building houses to give the Fort a more "Human" Feel to it, as well as bridges for some reason.
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43731 on: November 04, 2015, 02:53:18 am »

So I decided to try one of my first serious aquifer games. I'm discovering 1x1x1 squares of infinite water everywhere. Wtf. Last time I checked aquifers were entire z-levels of water.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43732 on: November 04, 2015, 03:02:09 am »

RAVENS. There's 5 of the little bastards camping out near the top of my map refusing to bugger off and let me get other creatures. There were six, but one of the girls landed in a cage trap, so raven eggs for breakfast it is.

Elves bought a Great Horned Owl early on and I am enjoying him immensely since thanks to ModestMod, he is exterminating vermin with a vengeance. Now if only I could get a girl...or a girl Giant Barn Owl. Caught two males awhile back, but not going to turn them loose since they'll probably turn wild and run away.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43733 on: November 04, 2015, 08:02:59 am »

I don't even know where to begin.

Well, I embarked in the mountains with a little bit of forest, and suddenly I realized that I didn't need wood as much as I thought I did. I've got elves and humans to trade with now; the humans must live by the sea judging from all the seafood they brought with them. I forgot how fast the game goes at the beginning, too fast to leave alone for long. I've caught some things....more on the new fortress "Rockransacked" later.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43734 on: November 04, 2015, 08:11:05 am »

I have twelve bridges and not one crosses the river. Maybe we should rename them blast doors?

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43735 on: November 04, 2015, 08:16:08 am »

I have twelve bridges and not one crosses the river. Maybe we should rename them blast doors?
For what purpose?

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43736 on: November 04, 2015, 08:19:55 am »

Blast doors. :P
Cavern access, numerous to the maze access, zombie room access, fort entrance, emergency door in case of breach. Bridges are the best.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43737 on: November 04, 2015, 10:13:49 am »

RAVENS. There's 5 of the little bastards camping out near the top of my map refusing to bugger off and let me get other creatures. There were six, but one of the girls landed in a cage trap, so raven eggs for breakfast it is.

Elves bought a Great Horned Owl early on and I am enjoying him immensely since thanks to ModestMod, he is exterminating vermin with a vengeance. Now if only I could get a girl...or a girl Giant Barn Owl. Caught two males awhile back, but not going to turn them loose since they'll probably turn wild and run away.

Bird: it's what's for dinner.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43738 on: November 04, 2015, 04:48:39 pm »

I'm currently trying to memorialize over one thousand dead citizens. This was a fun experiment.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #43739 on: November 04, 2015, 05:03:11 pm »

I'm currently trying to memorialize over one thousand dead citizens. This was a fun experiment.
You can't just say something like that and not explain!
Pages: 1 ... 2914 2915 [2916] 2917 2918 ... 3836