Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2918 2919 [2920] 2921 2922 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5857498 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43785 on: November 07, 2015, 08:31:57 pm »

Unless it was bone and the dwarf doesn't like figurines, no.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43786 on: November 07, 2015, 08:33:10 pm »

It was shell, does that give me any chances? Bugger, he likes figurines. Oh well, better keep savescumming until it's a subject matter I approve of. I guess I'll accept the coronation of the king and his queen. This is the problem with turning off invaders: there are almost no cool events at your fort to pop up in your art.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 08:43:02 pm by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #43787 on: November 07, 2015, 08:59:20 pm »

First dragon of the fort came by and purged the wildlife.

However, my lead axedwarf killed it (aided by marksdwarves, sadly. Not dwarven enough), named her axe, and became my fortress's first axelord.
Nice, what's it called?

Sorry, I haven't been on the forums for a bit. The axe is called "Elisbal", or "Thintoned".

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43788 on: November 07, 2015, 09:29:49 pm »

Artifact was completed: it was a figurine. Any chance my savescumming will get me furniture?

Figurines are crafts; the mood will always produce something from the same workshop no matter how much you savescum, as it chooses workshops based on highest moodable skill (or the craftsdwarf workshop if they don't have any moodable skills). Unless your save is far enough back for you to get the dwarf a level in another moodable skill, that is (and they aren't already skilled in ___crafting).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43789 on: November 07, 2015, 09:36:36 pm »

Not completely true.  I have a dingo bone chest produced during a bone carving mood.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #43790 on: November 07, 2015, 09:39:40 pm »

Bone moods are the exception - they come from a craftsdwarf shop but they can produce furniture. However, a dwarf with a mood will always produce an object that they like. Since your dwarf likes figurines, he will only produce a figurine, no matter how much you savescum. Unless said dwarf likes some kind of furniture as well.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43791 on: November 07, 2015, 09:53:54 pm »

I used macros for the first time ever.

*Rubs face in satisfaction*

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43792 on: November 07, 2015, 09:57:53 pm »

Yeah, there are a few furniture items produced through the craftsdwarf workshop, it's just that they're relatively unlikely to be produced compared to a mooded Mason or something.

Incidentally, that's why I make sure every single one of my worker drones builds at least a couple levels of Mason, so that I get artifact furniture from them instead of random shit.

3. Run Resize Enable

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43793 on: November 07, 2015, 10:21:12 pm »

Just beat back a werecoati.
Notable observations:
* One militia-dwarf ran to the wrong z-level.  She became the sole survivor, with a head and leg wound (plenty o bite marks).
* She survived.
* 4 crossbows are not the best mix for dealing with werebeasts.  Swords are critical for quickly removing limbs and rendering the critters (h)armless.  I'll be adjusting my squad makeup accordingly
* Wasn't able to get builders to install walls in any of my funny diagonal entryways, meaning the bugger escaped the infirmary - must walls be installed from a direct n/s/e/w direction?  I'd thought they could install them diagonally.
* Wasn't able to get the dwarf to pull a lever on-demand.  No idea why.  Stood around with 'no job' when in a burrow that contained only the lever
* Realized this wounded dwarf is carrying around an infant.  Despite my best efforts, I expect blood to be shed with the next full moon.

After the next full moon, I'll see about installing my weremember in the barracks behind a fortification, for the singular task of catching arrows each month (until/unless killed).

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43794 on: November 07, 2015, 10:43:40 pm »

Cathelms
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
is
the
same
as
ever.

I love this lazy derpy little fort, no military, 30 dorfs, year 6 now, been under siege a bit over 3 of those years, maybe more, and eagles raining from the sky to explode all over the glacier.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43795 on: November 07, 2015, 11:24:37 pm »

Yeah, that fellow wasn't fond of any piece of furniture, but you know what? I'm using that Modest Mod package that lets you put stands up to mount crafts on, so it's not a total loss; I'm still able to use it to provide a colossal boost to a room's value, it just can't fulfill any furniture demands.

Found some garnierite sooner than expected, and it was right under a spot I'm going to strip mine. Anyone have a foolproof way of channeling without cave-ins that doesn't take forever to designate?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43796 on: November 08, 2015, 12:28:37 am »

herp i'm fucking tired
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 01:11:57 am by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43797 on: November 08, 2015, 12:51:22 am »

Yeah, that fellow wasn't fond of any piece of furniture, but you know what? I'm using that Modest Mod package that lets you put stands up to mount crafts on, so it's not a total loss; I'm still able to use it to provide a colossal boost to a room's value, it just can't fulfill any furniture demands.

Found some garnierite sooner than expected, and it was right under a spot I'm going to strip mine. Anyone have a foolproof way of channeling without cave-ins that doesn't take forever to designate?
Uh... up-ramps?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43798 on: November 08, 2015, 01:21:12 am »

Artifact was completed: it was a figurine. Any chance my savescumming will get me furniture?

Figurines are crafts; the mood will always produce something from the same workshop no matter how much you savescum, as it chooses workshops based on highest moodable skill (or the craftsdwarf workshop if they don't have any moodable skills). Unless your save is far enough back for you to get the dwarf a level in another moodable skill, that is (and they aren't already skilled in ___crafting).
If you go back that far a different dwarf will probably get the mood.

It figures out that the conditions for a mood are right it rolls the dice in the RNG to decide whether to have a mood, then it picks which dwarf to mood via another RNG.

As soon as a dwarf is chosen they get the mood, and can't pause it to gain a level in armorsmith so they don't make you another fucking earring.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43799 on: November 08, 2015, 01:43:01 am »

Resetting to before the mood can also reroll which dwarf gets it. I've lost progress before and ended up with a totally different dwarf getting the mood.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.
Pages: 1 ... 2918 2919 [2920] 2921 2922 ... 3836