Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2919 2920 [2921] 2922 2923 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5846651 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43800 on: November 08, 2015, 01:56:34 am »

Yeah, I know. But if you're savescumming moods anyways you might as well account for the thing that originally made you savescum, just in case.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #43801 on: November 08, 2015, 12:51:41 pm »

Polyester

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43802 on: November 08, 2015, 03:36:59 pm »

I have figured out how to build the wonder known as stairs, and have dug past layers of dirt and sand to finally get to the stone below. Unfortunately, I seem to be having difficulty growing food for my fort. 2 Dwarf Children and a Farmer have arrived. I have built a trading post, and hope that someone will come at some point to do some trade. I have plenty of wood, and my outside building is made out of it. Unfortunately, I dread the day when the elves come and see my 'crimes'. I have 2 militia units and am praying to Armok that I figure out how to farm soon.
Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43803 on: November 08, 2015, 03:41:44 pm »

I have figured out how to build the wonder known as stairs, and have dug past layers of dirt and sand to finally get to the stone below. Unfortunately, I seem to be having difficulty growing food for my fort. 2 Dwarf Children and a Farmer have arrived. I have built a trading post, and hope that someone will come at some point to do some trade. I have plenty of wood, and my outside building is made out of it. Unfortunately, I dread the day when the elves come and see my 'crimes'. I have 2 militia units and am praying to Armok that I figure out how to farm soon.

You have to (b)uild a farm (p)lot and assign it to grow a crop. Growing a crop usually takes 28 days, and uses 1 seed per tile farmed. Harvesting a crop usually generates a stack of 1-5 plants. Depending on the plant, you could brew it, cook it, or have your dwarves eat it raw, among other things. If you do pretty much anything but cook it, you get seeds back. Cooking destroys the seeds.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43804 on: November 08, 2015, 04:04:26 pm »

Year 57.  Population 183.  It's been an eventful couple of years, but perhaps the most interesting finding was what did not happen.

What didn't happen was baby minotaurs.  I finally got around to putting a pair of minotaurs together to see if they would breed.  The two are getting along okay, and not fighting, but it's been more than a year since I put them together and no births yet.  I have other semi-megabeasts for when the time comes to re-start silk production, so I'm in no hurry to end the experiment, but my hopes are not high.

We've bred 11 cave dragons thus far.  I have to say that I am perfectly charmed by the fact that the Phoebus tileset creator(s) anticipated my putting child states onto cavern creatures so that they can be domesticated.  There are unique graphics for baby giant olms, baby giant toads, and baby cave dragons, despite none of those being possible without modding.

Speaking of baby animals, my culling of substandard cavern animals so that I can breed only the better specimens has resulted in the fort accumulating 15,000 prepared meals, most of them being massive stacks of pure meat.  This is obviously excessive, but the game has gained 5 FPS overall so any FPS loss from the ridiculous quantity of food is apparently compensated by FPS gain from having fewer animals.

In more annoying news, the human guild representative has been absent now for 4 years straight.  This is seriously hampering the fort's ability to import leather, and so gloves this year are being made out of cloth.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43805 on: November 08, 2015, 05:03:15 pm »

The impact on dwarven fashion must be shattering.

In other news, I have resolved to solve the "can animals breed in cages problem" for myself, and hopefully run a meat industry based entirely on hunting and breeding skunks.
One wheel short of a wagon

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #43806 on: November 08, 2015, 05:19:32 pm »

The impact on dwarven fashion must be shattering.

In other news, I have resolved to solve the "can animals breed in cages problem" for myself, and hopefully run a meat industry based entirely on hunting and breeding skunks.
Animals can give birth in cages, but cannot get pregnant in cages.

Polyester

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43807 on: November 08, 2015, 05:33:32 pm »

About 18 new migrants have arrived out of nowhere. I have literally no idea where they came from, and I don't remember getting a message of their arrival. Shortly afterwards, I got a message notifying me that a dwarf has been possessed. Fearing the worst, I naturally made a new squad out of rangers and prepared for the worst. To my surprise, the dwarf merely claimed one of my craft-dwarf workshops, and some time later I got a notification that he created a ring. Apparently, being possessed is a good thing now.
Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #43808 on: November 08, 2015, 05:50:00 pm »

Started a new fort. My first dwarven caravan came around and:

"No outpost liaison? How curious..."

I've never seen this message before. Wonder what I'm in for... if the save's not corrupted anyway, because DF crashed on exit.
I hope it turns out to still be playable, because this site's shaping up to be interesting. Volcano embark with flux stone somewhere, multiple metals, more fruit than I know what to do with, and pools that actually have fish for a change. The only downside is there's no elves for me to try and start a war with.

I already lost my best miner to a magma accident right after he made an artifact weapon rack; he now has a little memorial hall with the rack in it. Pretty shortly afterward, one of my other founders went fey mood and made an artifact casket. I know it's just RNG, but I'd like to think he was memorializing his buddy in his own way.

@Polyester: "Possessed" is one of the artifact-making moods. It's arguably the worst one since they don't get any skill from it, but hey, free artifact.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 05:56:25 pm by InsanityPrelude »
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43809 on: November 08, 2015, 05:53:09 pm »

About 18 new migrants have arrived out of nowhere. I have literally no idea where they came from, and I don't remember getting a message of their arrival. Shortly afterwards, I got a message notifying me that a dwarf has been possessed. Fearing the worst, I naturally made a new squad out of rangers and prepared for the worst. To my surprise, the dwarf merely claimed one of my craft-dwarf workshops, and some time later I got a notification that he created a ring. Apparently, being possessed is a good thing now.
It's... always been a good thing. Possession is one of the types of mood (and also the second-shittiest, since the dwarf doesn't get exp from it).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43810 on: November 08, 2015, 05:56:52 pm »

... second?

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #43811 on: November 08, 2015, 06:02:42 pm »

I guess fell would be the worst depending how you look at it, since you lose a dwarf.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43812 on: November 08, 2015, 06:05:04 pm »

I really want to get one. So sad that they only occur near the collapse of a fort.

IAmTheMadLord

• Bay Watcher
  • I sure do love lunchtime and cutting off thumbs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43813 on: November 08, 2015, 06:10:56 pm »

Swordsdwarf just killed a cave dragon in possibly the coolest way I've seen.
Urist Mc Swordington slashes at the Cave Dragon's front left leg, the severed part flies off in an arc!
Cave Dragon Falls Over
Urist Mc Swordington slashes at the Cave Dragon's front right leg, the severed part flies off in an arc!
Cave Dragon gives in to pain
Urist Mc Badass slashes at the Cave Dragon's head, and the severed part flies off in an arc!
the wonders of cotton candy swords

SirAero8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43814 on: November 08, 2015, 06:44:22 pm »

My militia was almost wiped out by the most recent goblin siege, so I'm trying a new tactic. My main fortress is enclosed by a giant wall, with doors at the top and bottom. I'm setting up cage traps all along the eastern side of the map, where the goblins have been coming from. My hope is when the next siege comes most of the goblins and trolls will get caught by the cage traps, and the rest will be killed by my modest militia.
Pages: 1 ... 2919 2920 [2921] 2922 2923 ... 3836