Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2921 2922 [2923] 2924 2925 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854699 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43830 on: November 09, 2015, 09:57:12 am »

There have been too many cave-ins at Rockransacked; time to create a new world and start all over again. Someday, I'll finally get around to building that Great Obsidian Block....oh well, at least I've got more time for planning now. Let's lay it out layer by layer.....
  • "Palace" for all the nobles that require bedrooms, plus some offices.
  • Living space for everyone else
  • Dining hall, booze and prepared food storage, hospital, "bath house".
  • Raw food storage, brewing and cooking.
  • Leather and textile storage, manufacturing.
  • Bone storage and carving, stage 2 furniture storage.*
  • Gem storage, gem working, stage 1 furniture storage.*
  • Possible glass and pottery industries.
  • MAGMA for magma workshops.
  • Ore storage, metal bar storage, metalworking.
  • MAGMA for magma workshops.
  • Farming layers.

I intend for the GOB to be accessible only through the bottom. Other things I need: A wagon-accessible trade depot that isn't outside, some storage space I haven't though of already, some nasty traps to slay anything that dares attack my fortress, and a military staging area to take down anything that gets past the traps.

*All the furniture in the dining halls, living quarters and offices shall be masterwork gold (except for the artifacts and platinum statues, of course) and decorated with numerous gems, bones and possibly shells so that everyone has absurdly valuable rooms and furniture.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43831 on: November 09, 2015, 09:46:57 pm »

Summarizing events that lead me to a dire lack of apprasial skills...
* First merchants arrive, then moments after starting unpacking, their wagon is outside of my fort and fleeing fast.  Post mortem shows no combat logging or events of any kind were logged, one wagon was deceased, and trade goods were in a neat pile diagnoally adjacent to one of my traps - assumption, wagon died on the trap.
* As no trading occurred, no apprasial skill was granted.
* Elves arrived.  Limited trading occurred, however no apprasial skill was granted (I checked with Dwarf Therapist, nada/zippo/ziltch skill).
* Two artifacts and a spring later goblins arrived, I'm not sure when to next expect traders.

I know that I should have an apprasier.  I am sad for the lack
//Torrenal
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 10:06:32 pm by Torrenal »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43832 on: November 09, 2015, 11:11:53 pm »

I got inspired by some of Rumrusher's screenshots and decided to rescale Simple Mood.

Is pretty.

The magma is almost dried up, and the malodorous slime is slowly covering everything again.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43833 on: November 10, 2015, 06:22:15 am »

* First merchants arrive, then moments after starting unpacking, their wagon is outside of my fort and fleeing fast.  Post mortem shows no combat logging or events of any kind were logged, one wagon was deceased, and trade goods were in a neat pile diagnoally adjacent to one of my traps - assumption, wagon died on the trap.

That should not occur.  Wagons somehow magically know where your traps are and avoid them.

Wagon scuttling typically happens when the merchant spots something hostile or gets spooked from dead bodies.  It is not necessary for an attack to connect or be dodged (and therefore appear in the combat log).  In my experience it is not unusual for the remaining merchants to continue on to your trade depot and start to unload, and then immediately nope out of there one tick later.

If there was something gruesome laying around your trap, or if there were hostile animals roaming nearby, that would explain the scuttling and hasty departure.

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43834 on: November 10, 2015, 12:19:50 pm »

Makers of useful artifacts just don't seem to have a long life expectancy in this fort. The dwarf who made the artifact casket earlier spontaneously burned to death while dumping a goblin head into the magma pit. No combat reports showed up and the magma for forges/dumping is blocked off from the main volcano with a floodgate, which would seem to rule out magma crabs. Did it splash back or something...?
It could well be.  Dumping large objects can create magma mist; DFwiki reports that mass pitting has resulted in mist clouds three z-levels high with corresponding width.  If your magma pit is too shallow, any haulers would be at risk, though I'm a bit surprised to find that a goblin head could theoretically create a significant splash.

Related. It's not so much the initial splash itself so much as it'll end up with enough water trapped under the rock to create a steam explosion.
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #43835 on: November 10, 2015, 03:14:47 pm »

My fort under the latest version seems to be under the slowest unhappiness spiral in the world.

I played it as I usually did in the olden days.  Fight the goblins, cage the goblins, pit the goblins, slapchop the goblins, collect the loot.  But this time, the experience is a nasty one on my dwarves.  You'd think a dead gobbo would be good news to them, but nope.  They care so much about these evil creatures that one of my masons went and yelled at the mayor to complain about the state of affairs.

His beef?  Too many gobbos were dying.

I check his profile, and there are PAGES AND PAGES of him being horrified after seeing a goblin die.

I'm tempted to convict that fucker just to clear away my justice list but on the other hand he makes some bitchin' engravings and can pump out rock bricks faster than he can shit them.

Still, goblins show up faster than I can kill them and manage stress levels.  The goblins are killing me by literally throwing more of themselves at me so as to make my own system break down from the inside.

This be deep shit, yo.

Cuchulain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43836 on: November 10, 2015, 04:46:04 pm »

My fort under the latest version seems to be under the slowest unhappiness spiral in the world.

I played it as I usually did in the olden days.  Fight the goblins, cage the goblins, pit the goblins, slapchop the goblins, collect the loot.  But this time, the experience is a nasty one on my dwarves.  You'd think a dead gobbo would be good news to them, but nope.  They care so much about these evil creatures that one of my masons went and yelled at the mayor to complain about the state of affairs.

I check his profile, and there are PAGES AND PAGES of him being horrified after seeing a goblin die.

I'm tempted to convict that fucker just to clear away my justice list but on the other hand he makes some bitchin' engravings and can pump out rock bricks faster than he can shit them.

Still, goblins show up faster than I can kill them and manage stress levels.  The goblins are killing me by literally throwing more of themselves at me so as to make my own system break down from the inside.

This be deep shit, yo.

The horror...

The horror...

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #43837 on: November 10, 2015, 06:37:52 pm »

So by the responses I got, looks like that horror thing is the running joke of this version.   ;)

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43838 on: November 10, 2015, 07:05:07 pm »

This be deep shit, yo.
I think plenty of players would rather like to be in your place. 40.24 is notorious for a paucity of invading Goblins.

Also, a Dwarf reacts badly to seeing a sapient corpse, but the thought screen records it as "seeing an X die." If you put all the Gobbo cadavers well out of sight of your Dorfs, the unhappy thoughts should clear up.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Cuchulain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43839 on: November 10, 2015, 07:46:17 pm »

So by the responses I got, looks like that horror thing is the running joke of this version.   ;)

Your story seemed reminiscent of Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

Apocalypse Now: Dwarf Fortress version.

Cuchulain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43840 on: November 10, 2015, 07:53:21 pm »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43841 on: November 10, 2015, 09:58:28 pm »

After a disastrous tundra embark, I embarked in a place where the mountains met the forests. My first artifact? A very high value dolomite and gold bed. I consider this a good omen. Everyone is getting masterworks and nothing but masterworks in their rooms, and anything that can be made from stone is flux stone (thankfully I managed to get it done without exhausting my entire supply of flux stone). No elves show up in the spring, but humans show up in the summer and that's alright: I plan to sell off all my sub-optimal stone furniture and beds, and that tends to work poorly when your trading partner doesn't bring wagons. My dwarf civilization, the Glowing Theater, has domesticated elephants, and uses them as beasts of burden, so come the fall I have plenty of weight I can dump on the caravan. As for animals, I've already got a good population of blind cave seals, and it is only a matter of time until I see baby giant chinchillas and giant coyote pups.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43842 on: November 10, 2015, 11:39:12 pm »

Summarizing events that lead me to a dire lack of apprasial skills...
* As no trading occurred, no apprasial skill was granted.
* Elves arrived.  Limited trading occurred, however no apprasial skill was granted (I checked with Dwarf Therapist, nada/zippo/ziltch skill).
* Two artifacts and a spring later goblins arrived, I'm not sure when to next expect traders.

I know that I should have an apprasier.  I am sad for the lack
//Torrenal
Do you have "anyone can trade" set with the elves?

If so the person who got the appraisal skill would not necessarily be your broker, and his/her appraisal skill would not count.

So go to the nobles screen, and try to replace the broker. If anybody got to the right level it'll show up as one of the skills useful to the job.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #43843 on: November 11, 2015, 02:58:44 am »

I have two forgotten beasts wandering around the lake in my first cavern layer. Neither of them seems to be able to figure out how to path to the fishing hole to get into my fortress (where I could cut them down and never run out of meat again, hopefully.)
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43844 on: November 11, 2015, 07:56:00 am »

I asked someone to give me a randomish embark, and vjek obliged.

The mountainhome has set the following guidelines for your outpost:
Your primary goal is to reach 5M in created wealth as quickly as possible.

Our mountainhome scouts have reported the following:
It is 10z to Armoks tears (cavern water)
It is 13z to Armoks blood (magma)
This region is ideal for producing steel.
Dust devils have been observed at the site.

Enjoy!  :D

Wonderful embark - a faster access to steel I have not seen, and decent access to sand and bituminous coal. It's a 2x2 (so space-constrained, but high FPS), with one cavern layer and a candy tube. Just one minor problem (well, two):

• Virtually no trees on the surface. (Desert and wasteland)
  • "Dust devils have been observed at the site.". If by "dust devils" you mean "giant clouds of dust that turn everything that touches them into husks and leave behind piles of dust that do the same until rain washes them away", then yeah, I suppose that's accurate.

The first caravan was wiped out entirely (including the liaison), and the rain keeps trolling me (rains until there's one pile of deadly dust left then stops - after what happened to the first caravan I'm not unlocking the drawbridge unless there's no dust around. At some point I'll probably put in a pump stack to wash / burn it away...). And it's two years in and I have a population of 15, due to a decided lack of migrants. And I have no seeds other than plump helmets. On the plus side I'm at 2.5M urists two years in. Masterwork spiked balls are wonderful for boosting fortress value that way.

Other than that, and early on nearly losing my fortress to a giant cave spider (accidentally unsealed the caverns - didn't find out about it until I flipped to the combat logs and found that my brewer had punched, kicked, and scratched it to death. On the minus side, no silk farm just yet. On the plus side, my food supply was nicely boosted.), it's been relatively uneventful (by DF standards, at least). No strange moods yet though, despite mining out an entire level. And only 6 slabs (for the caravan and one unlucky migrant).

I wonder if husking could be used against forgotten beasts and/or spoilers, and/or if you can do the vamping butchery with husking instead... Huh. Must try !!science!!.
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.
Pages: 1 ... 2921 2922 [2923] 2924 2925 ... 3836