Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2922 2923 [2924] 2925 2926 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5842775 times)

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43845 on: November 11, 2015, 11:24:49 am »

I was bored during a game jam at Uni, and loaded up DF off a memory stick. This was when the keas stole several wheelbarrows.

A kea just stole a wheelbarrow. Huh.
Aaaand there goes another wheelbarrow. Damn keas.

Edit: How do they keep doing this? Another one's gone. There are dwarves right next to the carpenter's workshop and the keas are still nicking stuff.

A migrant wave during the first year brought a metalsmith, who became possessed. I checked Dwarf Therapist and it it was a weaponsmithing mood. Awesome, I thought.

Hmm... what metal do I have right at the surface? Tetrahedrite. Oh well, it'll have to do. I hope he'll make a silver warhammer or something.

Nope. Copper battleaxe. At least it'll improve a room's value if I stick it in a weapon trap.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43846 on: November 11, 2015, 01:10:50 pm »

A migrant wave during the first year brought a metalsmith, who became possessed. I checked Dwarf Therapist and it it was a weaponsmithing mood. Awesome, I thought.

Hmm... what metal do I have right at the surface? Tetrahedrite. Oh well, it'll have to do. I hope he'll make a silver warhammer or something.

Nope. Copper battleaxe. At least it'll improve a room's value if I stick it in a weapon trap.
Next time you get someone in a mood, check what kinds of materials they want, go into your stocks screen, and forbid all but the most valuable (or in the case of arms and armor, battle-worthy) of those materials. If it's another weapon mood, check to see if the dwarf has a favorite weapon and choose your materials based on whether it's blunt or sharp, and don't be afraid to savescum to get a weapon type suitable for the material. I've started doing this recently and the value of my artifacts has gone through the roof.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

SirAero8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43847 on: November 11, 2015, 03:32:32 pm »

A brush titan made of ice came and killed around 50 dwarves, including my entire militia. It was luckily killed by a few dwarves with axes. A few months later, a forgotten beast, Tholatho Conibonunore Rinoweneca arrived and after killing the few military dwarves I was training up, I sent tons of useless dwarves to kill it. It now has pretty much every bone in its body broken, and every body part (besides the throat) is cut open. The beast is still fighting like it has no injuries, and it already killed 82 dwarves. This fortress was going so well too.  :'(
EDIT: I got the beast walled off in a hallway, I'll just leave him there for now until I feel comfortable trying to kill him, because he brought me down from 129 dwarves to 25 dwarves.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 04:06:36 pm by SirAero8 »

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43848 on: November 11, 2015, 04:17:06 pm »

The front of my current fort is completely boxed in, instead of making extended ledges on my walls to avoid climbing I just had them cover it all up. I keep the gate closed. There's a hole in the ceiling to allow strawberries to grow which I had to go back and climb-proof.

Since I prefer my gate to be closed the only light my dwarves have access to is on the strawberry farm. I set up patrol routes on that farm for all of my military squads to keep them somewhat acclimated to light. The result is a permanent layer of vomit over every farm plot. I've never seen such big, delicious, juicy strawberries before in my entire life. The wine has a distinct kick to it as well.

SirAero8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43849 on: November 11, 2015, 06:29:02 pm »

A goblin siege came, right on schedule. Only 5 goblins out of 47 are left uncaught in cage traps. To my surprise, I saw a werehyena's corpse next to some of the wandering goblins. Apparently, one of the goblins was a werehyena and it tore the foot off of one of the other goblins before dying. This is the first time I've heard of a werecreature coming with a siege, has anyone else seen this happen?

ZayZe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43850 on: November 11, 2015, 07:05:14 pm »

Just started a serious game for the first time after learning some fundamentals. I have masterwork reborn right now with all fortress defense besides a few and all civs besides the ones that don't work.

All invasions are very early, on both fortress defense and civs. All Ambush and Siege.

10+ Civs active, wish me luck.

10 Years of Generated History.

On month 04.

So far, giant flying squirrels have been smashing into trees and one of them attacked a giant sponge.

Burrowed down into the stone layer, just setting up the food stock piles.

(Speaking of fundamentals.. I still haven't learned to make wells or pierce an aquifer....)

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43851 on: November 12, 2015, 01:40:28 am »

I just finished up draining my third carven layer, and am preparing to begin mining Admantine. I also recently took on a 60 strong Goblin siege, which my legendary military killed with no losses(again) and i also faced a fire forgotten beast, which was killed by the 2nd bolt to hit it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I seem to lose more dwarfs to accidental cave in these days than to the forces of death and destruction

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43852 on: November 12, 2015, 07:23:43 am »

I forgot to keep brewing, so now all my dorfs are dying of thirst. Luckily, I recently managed to wall up a vampire, so I won't have to reclaim if everyone else dies.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43853 on: November 12, 2015, 08:02:24 am »

(Speaking of fundamentals.. I still haven't learned to make wells or pierce an aquifer....)

The front of my current fort is completely boxed in, instead of making extended ledges on my walls to avoid climbing I just had them cover it all up. I keep the gate closed. There's a hole in the ceiling to allow strawberries to grow which I had to go back and climb-proof.

Since I prefer my gate to be closed the only light my dwarves have access to is on the strawberry farm. I set up patrol routes on that farm for all of my military squads to keep them somewhat acclimated to light. The result is a permanent layer of vomit over every farm plot. I've never seen such big, delicious, juicy strawberries before in my entire life. The wine has a distinct kick to it as well.

Build a drawbridge over the hole - or does that work? Otherwise fliers could be !!fun!!.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 08:59:50 am by Pseudo »
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #43854 on: November 12, 2015, 08:56:38 am »

I forgot to keep brewing, so now all my dorfs are dying of thirst. Luckily, I recently managed to wall up a vampire, so I won't have to reclaim if everyone else dies.

This is the sort of thing that makes me wish I could auto-schedule some jobs based on a threshold (if drinks < 500, brew drinks)

Right now my method is to compulsively hit 'z' every so often, and have a heart attack half of the time because rendering errors make it so the last digits aren't shown, so I think I have 15 drinks left instead of 1500.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43855 on: November 12, 2015, 10:03:59 am »

ALERT! ALERT!

WAGON-ONLY RAMPS ARE NOT SAFE AT ALL!

HOLY BALLS WHAT!

I had a siege pop at the caravan entrance this time, which is unusual, so I just locked the doors, built cage traps and lever operated doors, let a few in, trap em, shut the doors, remove em, etc, etc.

This went on for most of a year, then at autumn the siege ends but the zombies are still here and they ZERG RUSH the cages... ok, I can deal with... WHY IS THAT ZOMBIE ON THE DEPOT SIDE?

I have no idea how they got through that, barely got a dorf to hit the backup bridge lever in time (looked like one of the zombies ran into the back side of the bridge actually, BONG!) but yeah... sat there for a year with a route they can apparently path through the whole time.

Unusable ramps are NOT zombie proof apparently.

They don't seem to want to path through them most of the time, but if pushed they apparently CAN, so... yeah, scary moment.

Upside, I've got a necromancer and some goblins for the zoo.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43856 on: November 12, 2015, 11:10:41 am »

Roofs do not affect the ability of plants to grow underneath them. Your strawberry hole is unnecessary.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43857 on: November 12, 2015, 11:26:00 am »

I like to observe the effect it has when I effect a speech affect and try to affect others with my curious pronunciations!

Edit: girlfriend hit me for that.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43858 on: November 12, 2015, 12:11:11 pm »

This is the sort of thing that makes me wish I could auto-schedule some jobs based on a threshold (if drinks < 500, brew drinks)

Right now my method is to compulsively hit 'z' every so often, and have a heart attack half of the time because rendering errors make it so the last digits aren't shown, so I think I have 15 drinks left instead of 1500.
There is a DFHack plugin called 'Workflow Manager' that does exactly this.  It helps to mitigate many of the tedious but crucial micromanagement tasks.  If you are using the Lazy Newb Pack, then DFHack should be running with your game no problem.  Just enable the plugin and enjoy.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #43859 on: November 12, 2015, 01:35:49 pm »

There is a DFHack plugin called 'Workflow Manager' that does exactly this.  It helps to mitigate many of the tedious but crucial micromanagement tasks.  If you are using the Lazy Newb Pack, then DFHack should be running with your game no problem.  Just enable the plugin and enjoy.

I don't use the LNP but I do have DFhack running with my game.  I'll look in the work orders menu and see if it proposes any DFhack extensions from there.
Pages: 1 ... 2922 2923 [2924] 2925 2926 ... 3836