Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2938 2939 [2940] 2941 2942 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5863414 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44085 on: December 02, 2015, 01:58:15 pm »

My first experience with animal people wasn't much different than earlier versions. I noticed the wolverine people show up on the map, but I was too busy getting my well built to pay much attention. A while later I checked the combat log. My guard dog chewed one of them up and put some hurt on others. Makes me wonder, will be able to "domesticate" (civilize?) the animal people who just wander onto the map in groups or do we have to wait for already civilized (maybe that's better, but it sort of smacks of colonialism) animal people to arrive and join our fort?

I mean, to be fair, an uncivilised animal person would likely be shitting in the corner of the tavern and eating other peoples' food. Unacceptable practice.

A line has to be drawn at some point. It's like the difference between a domesticated and wild-dog. Or, a caveman and a member of civilization.
Even a fucking caveman understands that there are designated places to shit and that he shouldn't steal other people's food. The breaches of etiquette animal people would make would concern gaseous bodily emissions, the use of utensils, vocalizations, etc.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Galena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44086 on: December 02, 2015, 02:21:07 pm »

Not all animal people are civilized or intelligent. Only certain.animal people are intelligent; any animal people who you wouldn't find underground(in caverns as tribes) won't be treated as visitors.
He listed off what sounded like a lot of painful-sounding procedures that needed to be done, then proceeded to immediately throw a party.

SirFinbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44087 on: December 02, 2015, 02:37:47 pm »

My first experience with animal people wasn't much different than earlier versions. I noticed the wolverine people show up on the map, but I was too busy getting my well built to pay much attention. A while later I checked the combat log. My guard dog chewed one of them up and put some hurt on others. Makes me wonder, will be able to "domesticate" (civilize?) the animal people who just wander onto the map in groups or do we have to wait for already civilized (maybe that's better, but it sort of smacks of colonialism) animal people to arrive and join our fort?

I mean, to be fair, an uncivilised animal person would likely be shitting in the corner of the tavern and eating other peoples' food. Unacceptable practice.

A line has to be drawn at some point. It's like the difference between a domesticated and wild-dog. Or, a caveman and a member of civilization.
Even a fucking caveman understands that there are designated places to shit and that he shouldn't steal other people's food. The breaches of etiquette animal people would make would concern gaseous bodily emissions, the use of utensils, vocalizations, etc.

I guess you're correct. An animal-person is just that. A person. The term itself is a bit of an oxymoron.

But, I have ferrets. They are 'domesticated'. They shit in corners when allowed in the house. What is the difference between an uncivilised ferretman/woman, and a civilised one? Surely the uncivilised one would behave more like its primitive brethren? Or is it just the fact that a civilised ferretman/woman belongs to an active civ, has a legitimate allegiance?

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44088 on: December 02, 2015, 02:41:08 pm »

I guess you're correct. An animal-person is just that. A person. The term itself is a bit of an oxymoron.

But, I have ferrets. They are 'domesticated'. They shit in corners when allowed in the house. What is the difference between an uncivilised ferretman/woman, and a civilised one? Surely the uncivilised one would behave more like its primitive brethren? Or is it just the fact that a civilised ferretman/woman belongs to an active civ, has a legitimate allegiance?
I'd wager that the difference between a ferret and a ferretman would be the same as the difference between a chimpanzee and a caveman.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

SirFinbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44089 on: December 02, 2015, 02:46:15 pm »

I'd wager that the difference between a ferret and a ferretman would be the same as the difference between a chimpanzee and a caveman.

Yes, but what makes a ferretman/woman able to be slaughtered on sight? As opposed to welcomed into the fort?

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44090 on: December 02, 2015, 02:54:08 pm »

Yes, but what makes a ferretman/woman able to be slaughtered on sight? As opposed to welcomed into the fort?
Well, alright, perhaps above-ground animal people are more among the lines of Australopithecus than paleolithic humans.

This conversation has reminded of that badass spear-wielding batman who lived in one of my caverns. If only I'd saved that world, I could have built a tavern, invited him up for a drink and had him join my fortress.....what a wonderful soldier he would've made with a masterwork steel spear and masterwork wooden shield in his hands instead of that crappy wooden spear and wooden shield he used......though your name has been lost from my memory I will remember you, badass spear-wielding batman. You will live on through every batman who comes to my taverns.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44091 on: December 02, 2015, 04:49:29 pm »

Decided to abandon my fort after piercing 2 layers of aquifer and trying to pierce the 3rd with the double silt technique , it was taking near forever with the usual job cancel due to water and having to unsuspend them constantly until the work is completed and noticing there was at least 2 more , i decided to simply remove the [AQUIFER] tags from the raws and generate a new world so i wouldn't have to waste so much time in this, too bad it was easy water, but i can focus on more fun things then.

Fortunately the fort basis are fast to make, so i had quickly my fort running before the 1st migrant wave finally came.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just in time to start my military :)
quantum stockpile are really awesome in how easy and fast you build them, and the surface (and so performance due to much much less pathfinding calls) you gain is very useful.

Going to be producing a lot more wooden craft to quickly level up my broker appraisal skill when the 1st merchant caravan will come (it level up fast when you trade) and i'll focus then more on building my defenses

EDIT :
Oh i had forgotten how much dwarves like to get themselves killed

dwarf1 : let's cut that tree
dwarf2 : nice tree you're cutting, i'll move next to it so when it fall i will ...

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 05:13:50 pm by Robsoie »

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #44092 on: December 02, 2015, 06:27:33 pm »

The baron consort came instead of a liaison. Is this normal? In any case, he's a real cheeky guy.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #44093 on: December 02, 2015, 07:58:11 pm »

dwarf2 : nice tree you're cutting, i'll move next to it so when it fall i will ...

I had something similar happen to me recently. My woodsdwarf cut down a tree and a log hit him, crushing his throat. He managed to get up and cut down another tree before he bled to death.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44094 on: December 02, 2015, 08:11:11 pm »

I had something similar happen to me recently. My woodsdwarf cut down a tree and a log hit him, crushing his throat. He managed to get up and cut down another tree before he bled to death.
Now that's some dedication to your work.

Got my first tavern visitors: Three human warriors. Need to build a bridge for them to cross the stream, but visitors are visitors.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44095 on: December 02, 2015, 08:24:04 pm »

The fortress "Coldcuts of Lunches" was founded by the group "The Hunger of Gods"
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44096 on: December 02, 2015, 08:33:02 pm »

The fortress "Coldcuts of Lunches" was founded by the group "The Hunger of Gods"
3000 dwarfbucks says that when you set up your tavern, it'll ironically have a name that has nothing to do with food or even drink.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44097 on: December 02, 2015, 08:42:24 pm »

The baron consort came instead of a liaison. Is this normal? In any case, he's a real cheeky guy.
Yeah, sometimes barons or their consorts become the liasons, it's not unusual.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

beef623

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44098 on: December 02, 2015, 08:52:50 pm »

It's my first fort in the new update so I figured I'd embark somewhere good and nasty so I wouldn't last long enough to get too attached.

I found a nice haunted place in a dessert by a river and set out. I managed to get everyone indoors before the first "fiendish ash cloud" rolled in. I'm still not sure exactly what the stuff does, but anything that walks into it doesn't walk back out. I got a decent start to my fort, and a few migrant waves, when I decided to try to take care of a pair of Ogres that would occasionally walk into my fort and tear down all of my farms and workshops. The next time I saw them drop by, I drafted everyone into the military and gave the order. Took out the first one without any major trouble, 2 dwarves laying on the ground injured was all. The second one though, an Ogress, killed all but one of my dwarves before walking out into the cloud and taking herself out of the picture. The one dwarf I had left was one of the survivors from taking care of the first Ogre and was too injured to do anything. He laid there bleeding out for about a half a year when a large migrant wave finally showed up to feed and water him.

So far, everything has slowly been getting back to normal, but there are still a lot of job cancellations due to being horrified. I can't wait to see the legends from this one.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44099 on: December 02, 2015, 08:57:44 pm »

It's my first fort in the new update so I figured I'd embark somewhere good and nasty so I wouldn't last long enough to get too attached.

I found a nice haunted place in a dessert by a river and set out. I managed to get everyone indoors before the first "fiendish ash cloud" rolled in. I'm still not sure exactly what the stuff does, but anything that walks into it doesn't walk back out. I got a decent start to my fort, and a few migrant waves, when I decided to try to take care of a pair of Ogres that would occasionally walk into my fort and tear down all of my farms and workshops. The next time I saw them drop by, I drafted everyone into the military and gave the order. Took out the first one without any major trouble, 2 dwarves laying on the ground injured was all. The second one though, an Ogress, killed all but one of my dwarves before walking out into the cloud and taking herself out of the picture. The one dwarf I had left was one of the survivors from taking care of the first Ogre and was too injured to do anything. He laid there bleeding out for about a half a year when a large migrant wave finally showed up to feed and water him.

So far, everything has slowly been getting back to normal, but there are still a lot of job cancellations due to being horrified. I can't wait to see the legends from this one.
Quick, build a tavern and see if you can get the ogre to join your fort.

Pages: 1 ... 2938 2939 [2940] 2941 2942 ... 3836