Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789031 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2009, 06:32:05 am »

My last fort got lagged out, so I started a new one. Same basic design, but with chalk instead of limestone. No copper, but even more iron so it's an even richer site, if that's possible.

I'm waiting either for my first orc siege to end or for my soldiers to finish training to the point where they can kick the orc's out. I also just struck coal, so I can start steel production in earnest. It's so much easier than wood.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2009, 10:01:12 am »

My giant glass bridge finally reached the island on the other side of the map, where I'm going to start building the REAL fortress. It's only one tile wide right now though, and the plan is to make it five tiles wide in addition to walls.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2009, 03:28:15 pm »

Seaching for iron.
Training most of my last 20+ immigrant wave into wrestler cannonfooder for the next orc siege.
And decorating all of my stuff with orc bones.

Still not sure what to make off this fortress though.

Rozenbuddy

• Bay Watcher
  • High on Caffine
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2009, 03:35:08 pm »

found tetrahedrite while digging out my -20 level bunker. Yes >:].

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2009, 11:55:44 am »

Well finally somehing interesting (or not):

The secound one is better, unfortunately just iron and some stupid cannonfooder champion took it:

Since I have 20 champions and I'm tired looking for it, I just hope the guilty one dies off in the next orc siege...

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2009, 01:37:27 pm »

im churning out glass windowsand tiles and making a tube into the sea to cast walls to make my underwater dwarf civ

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2009, 11:15:54 pm »

My dwarves are currently locked into their home, for fear of the orcs outside (homegrown, not the Orc-mod orcs).

Till they go away, ain't much going on.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2009, 12:15:54 am »

Finished building all the villas for my champions and the best champion tomb/shrine to Armok ever. I have a three tile wide corridor, with a pyramid built over it and the sides are channeled out, leading into the tomb for honorary members of the elites of The Armored Balls of Conquerors. When the enemies are slaughtered by the traps, tamed dragon, and military, the blood runs down into the tomb and splashes apon the coffins. Being built next to the pyramid is an almost finished 100x larger than life statue of one Urist McGimpypants, who, lets say, earned his name through an unfortunate string of events. Also finished my walkway into the fort hanging over a waterfall with a epicly elite barrack right next to it. And finaly, finished the "extra-curricular" activity rooms for my military units. Namely a shooting range filled with at least 5 goblins at all times, an arena where I place all rhesus macaques/elves/orcs/gobbos/other creatures. The arena has also from time to time been converted into epic face offs between dishonorable dwarves and injured orcs.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2009, 12:31:24 am »

... Alright, I give up. How did he earn that name?
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2009, 01:05:52 am »

Currently, I'm loading captured goblins from a defeated siege into the Arena of Doom and wondering what to do with the human merchants who are trying to hide, whimpering, inside my base. (Is there a Kill Stupid Merchant button?)
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2009, 05:16:09 am »

Desperately seeking the cave river, because the flood of wounded is from these constant lizardman/frogman sieges is going to crush me without a good bucket-source. 
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2009, 03:23:01 pm »

Just had one of my smiths go strange and make a platinum gauntlet (left) named "The Inky Crew". And the Baroness had a baby.

Other than that, not a lot going on. Finally managed to track down an artifact throne I thought I'd lost, turned out I'd set it up in the dining hall without noticing. From now on I'm having all artifacts (except The Shameful Volcano, a cougar leather buckler, which I think one of my champions must have taken) stored in a vault below the fortress. I might turn it into a museum sometime, there's a statue in there I could set up a garden from.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 03:26:34 pm by Quantum Toast »
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2009, 05:23:04 pm »

... Alright, I give up. How did he earn that name?

My most sad story was of Urist McGimpyPants   :'(

Thinking of him and his many adventures brings tears to my eyes. His first battle was against an entire goblin ambush squad, 2 of which were dwarves captured in world gen. Every other squad I had was either on break or drinking/eating. He Killed every enemy in the ambush. His legs were broken and his arm was mangled. A few years later, he was back on his feet, perfectly fine. Him and his two personal bodygaurds granted to him for being so heroic, were ambushed by 2 goblin squads, and 3 crocidiles. His two bodygaurds killed the crocs, but were subsequently killed by crossbow bolts to the throat and head. He was pushing one of the squads back against the river, where the carp were dragging them down and eating them, when he himself got knocked in. Just then, my legendary squads arived and wiped out the rest of the gobbos. Luckily, I had a channeling for just in case something like this happened. We rescued him and nursed him back to health, again. He survived a few more ambushes, all with severe inuries and recuperations. He died in an orcish siege by bolt to brain. R.I.P. Urist McGimpypants.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 05:24:44 pm by Beanchubbs »
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2009, 07:48:14 pm »

I used the great suggestion in another thread and made an unavoidable museum out of my buildable artifacts and the surge in good feelings has lead to a baby boom. I've filled my 2 bed nursery.  One in every 6 members of my fort is a child.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2009, 07:58:41 pm »

In the first month I hit a huge deposit of iron and a magma pipe right underneath where I was placing my workshops. Bit of a wealth explosion.
Its been 9 years of game time since then, and I have been under constant siege the ENTIRE FREAKING TIME1. It's beginning to get annoying. No immigrants at all, making it the opposite of every other fort I've played.
I do, however, have a legendary+5 armorsmith, and several sets of masterwork steel armour, each studded with silver. If only I had some soldiers to wear it. Only one couple in the fort, with 5 kids so far. Each of the 7 starting dwarves is legendary in multiple skills, so I don't really want to lose any of them. Once the kids grow up I can maybe start a military. (Yes, that means that 5 out of 12 dwarves in the fort are kids, 42%)

For the meantime it's just a waiting game, that and the massive floating (held up by a single staircase) platforms of Doom that cover the entire map.
Currently assembling orbital magma cannon and making sets of masterwork silver armour2 for when I have a fortress guard.

1orcs, + civ forge mods = lots of sieging races.
2because I can. And I'm a bit bored.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 3835