Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3020 3021 [3022] 3023 3024 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5844752 times)

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45315 on: January 07, 2016, 03:32:37 pm »

Got my second goblin siege. It consisted entirely of elves. (But yes, the siege came from a Goblin civilization, not an Elven one.)

killed about a dozen, captured a dozen more, the rest fled. Two of the captives are "recruits", not skilled in any weapon. On the assumption that they are conscripts rather than willing participants, it would be interesting to release them and then follow in legends where they go & what they do. Except, I suspect that they don't count as "historical figures" and won't show up in Legends at all.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45316 on: January 07, 2016, 04:44:26 pm »

Reminds me of the one siege I've had in this game. like 10 goblins, of which one recruit. The recruit counts as 'notable kill'; the rest is simply shoved away as 'a goblin'. Mind you, two of the blags did escape.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.
« Reply #45317 on: January 07, 2016, 05:30:16 pm »

I just had my third goblin attack in three years, and this one was the largest of the three: eight goblin bowmen.

Four of them ran away right off and the other four just sort of loafed around after killing an anaconda, and were then handily slaughtered by my military. A scholar then wrote "Doubts About the Goblin," which is a history of that particular goblin civ's failures against my fort.

Bellairs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45318 on: January 07, 2016, 06:52:57 pm »

That's awesome. Did you at any point export minecarts of magma in your world?

I never did, no. I'm still on 42.02 FWIW.

Bellairs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45319 on: January 07, 2016, 06:55:24 pm »

I just noticed, when working on my magma pumpstack, that rocks dumped into magma turn into an item called 'magma'. I can't remember that being so before. I thought that they used to turn into map spatter called 'molten rock'.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That might explain them bringing magma. If a civilization has only 1 item of a certain material, worldgen will regard it as having unlimited access to that material. So if somewhere in worldgen something happened that dropped a rock in magma, or magma on a rock (volcano?), within a civilization's site, I guess they'll have access to this magma. Perhaps dragonfire will turn stone items into magma as well, who knows.

EDIT: now I do wonder, if I put some steel gauntlets on a dwarf, will he be able to haul (I can order a dump job on it) that magma? Or do I need clown silk gloves for that?

Sounds like a good explanation to me.

Nunzillor

« Reply #45320 on: January 07, 2016, 07:25:32 pm »

This time I immediately checked the depot contents, to find that they had brought an alpaca wool bag of magma.

I just noticed, when working on my magma pumpstack, that rocks dumped into magma turn into an item called 'magma'. I can't remember that being so before. I thought that they used to turn into map spatter called 'molten rock'.

That might explain them bringing magma. If a civilization has only 1 item of a certain material, worldgen will regard it as having unlimited access to that material. So if somewhere in worldgen something happened that dropped a rock in magma, or magma on a rock (volcano?), within a civilization's site, I guess they'll have access to this magma. Perhaps dragonfire will turn stone items into magma as well, who knows.

EDIT: now I do wonder, if I put some steel gauntlets on a dwarf, will he be able to haul (I can order a dump job on it) that magma? Or do I need clown silk gloves for that?
Try the steel gauntlets and tell us what happens.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45321 on: January 07, 2016, 07:39:55 pm »

Need to finish my magma pumps first, then make a drainable area so I can test it.
What I did note: the magma item does disappear after not too long. I guess it takes some time to fully dissolve in the magma sea.
I wonder if they keep melting / disappear if I drain the magma away from it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45322 on: January 07, 2016, 08:31:26 pm »

so this fort i had the bright idea of making DFU Dwarf fort University to celebrate the new social systems...

it didn't go to well

embarked on a haunted swamp with an aquifer, miner drowned in the river before breaching it.
And so i  made a tavern while i waited for a dwarf caravan. lots of travelers came to the tavern
including a were-elephant.

three months and two outbreaks later, there is only one dwarf left, safe and not infected.

so ends my dreams of DFU.
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45323 on: January 07, 2016, 11:06:52 pm »

I got invaded by a massive goblin siege,
There were about 170 goblins, trolls and beakdogs. I knew i stood no chance against such a siege, so i did what i alwas did, i walled off my fort and started building a corridor of cage traps to imprison them. As i built this trap, the goblins sat around shooting ravens and destroying my windmills, but after many months and before i could finish the trap, they became bored of this and left the map. I thought i was safe, i was wrong.

An undead army showed up just after i had unwalled my entrance, they charged in and to my horror began killing my citizens.

At the end there were just under a dozen dwarfs locked in their rooms, but since there was no hope for them i abandoned.Despite this diaster,  due to the very high quality of the site i intend to try to reclaim this fortress, though whether i shall succeed is a different matter entirely.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45324 on: January 07, 2016, 11:20:07 pm »

A quick dive in to make feathers and scales useful, and the elk bird feathers are put to use decorating things.

A giant mole and cave swallow are slain, and goods stored to trade with the nomads. The tribe does well, and numerous living rooms are now available to the group. They have also decided to harvest a large sum of microcline, to build a temple (I'm thinking a simple henge with an obelisk in the middle.)

A small pottery is also being built, to provide parts for instruments, and a silk weavery is under consideration. A pit is also being dug to have all the weapon production relocated. Hopefully the goblin tribes that have the run of the land nearby will stay their weapons long enough for the tribe to grow and get warriors that don't run the risk of dropping dead at a moment's notice.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45325 on: January 07, 2016, 11:36:36 pm »

My "above ground" farms are now safe underneath their glass ceilings and now have been connected to the main fort. When I feel liek staring to farm above ground plants, I will do so.

The elves brought me two breeding pairs this year: a pair of wolves and a pair of kangaroos. I went to buy them.....aaaaaaaand I selected a wooden bin my mistake causing them to leave. Fucking elves.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45326 on: January 07, 2016, 11:46:10 pm »

Alas, my dwarves made for my old fortress due to my old civilan alert still being active, where they were promptly killed by a Cyclops which was formerly locked up, but had been released after abandonment, better luck next time, i suppose.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45327 on: January 07, 2016, 11:50:32 pm »

Yay, my magma pumpstack is done, and all my coal using workshops replaced with the magma versions.

I also just found out just how frigging many gizzard stones butchering over 100 cave crocs gave me. I sold most to the caravan, and kept the shiny ones for moody dwarves. They seem to love encrusting those artefacts with gizzard stones.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45328 on: January 08, 2016, 12:42:53 am »

A kid just created a giant wombat bone bed worth 22800 dorfbucks. Not bad, kid. You could've done a whole lot better by not selecting gizzard stones made from mundane stones for your cut gems, but hey, that's my fault for not throwing them into the volcano before you got to them.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45329 on: January 08, 2016, 05:00:03 am »

Picking world where goblins are 2/3 of all civilized population
seems to pay off:

Trading and building projects are severely impaired with all this cleaning...
I am manually storing copies of save game and I somehow managed to get two years ahead in naming, thinking four years have passed while there were in fact just two. Correction of siege list:

125, Spring: Inkedborn founded
127, Winter: siege I (8 goblins, 1 human, 1 dwarf)
129, Spring: siege II (13 trolls, 50 goblins, 1 human)
129, Autumn: siege III (48 trolls, 74 goblins)

Next siege may hit my init cap.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:25:48 am by Detros »
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)
Pages: 1 ... 3020 3021 [3022] 3023 3024 ... 3836