Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3023 3024 [3025] 3026 3027 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5846343 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45360 on: January 09, 2016, 12:16:35 pm »

I really hope Toady will consider moving boats and harbours support higher in his planned future new development stuff, it's been years we generate worlds with lots of islands that would be great to visit as adventurer or make fort with and see boats coming and leaving to bring migrants and visitors without having to rely on some dfhack script.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #45361 on: January 09, 2016, 12:18:07 pm »

NO ONE EVER SUSPECTS THE AEROPAGUS!

Hammerer dwarf got his first kill as a result of a judicial case.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45362 on: January 09, 2016, 12:51:00 pm »

Haven't been playing that much recently because my hard drive is on death's doorstep and I'm having trouble creating a system image. My latest siege was buggy, and I don't know whether it was because of my hard drive or because of DF. You see, my goblin sieges always spawned in a valley on the edge of the map that was only 2 tiles wide, so of course they always came on really slowly. This time, 2 goblins got stuck on the edge and blocked, and when the clean-up militia went and killed them, more invaders came on, and I lost 6 militia, and now all the invaders are dead but the siege is apparently still active, and I just feel hurt and confused.

Anyhow, to-do list once I get the new hard drive going:

• Stop producing large serrated green glass discs; I have enough for a 40x8 block and that will keep me plenty safe. I need the magma glass furnaces for other things and I've got bigger plans for an unnecessarily expensive trapline.
  • Increase wooden bin production rates dramatically.
  • Increase wood-burning rates dramatically (damn the lack of coal on volcano embarks!)
  • Build a mamga pumpstack and cast obsidian wall on that little valley to force the goblin sieges to start on a different edge where they'll come on faster and won't have this bug again. Use green glass for all components.
  • 2 magma smelters and 1 magma furnace isn't going to cut it anymore. Set up 10 magma smelters and 5 magma forges underground ith a huge ore stockpile and a huge metal bar stockpile. This will take a fair amount of channeling, stoneware blocks and green glass blocks.
  • Smelt lots of iron, then start steel production.
  • Forge 10 masterwork steel battle axes and 10 masterwork full suits of armor. A full suit of armor is 1 helm, 1 breastplate, 3 mail shirts, 1 greaves, 1 pair of gauntlets and 1 pair of high boots.
  • What's left of the old militia is attached to their equipment, so return them to civilian life and raise a new militia for this masterwork steel equipment.
  • Produce 9600 masterwork large serrated steel discs for the trapline. Melt down all the non-masterworks.
This is probably going to delay the obsidian casting quite a bit. Oh, well.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #45363 on: January 09, 2016, 05:17:12 pm »

I just got reminded of why you should always cut every damned tree on your map.

Got 2 messages of dwarves dying suddenly, and it appeared they were stuck on tree ( due to that bug ) since unknown amount of time (as DF does not warn you some dwarves are stuck) and of course died from not being able to drink/eat.

Absolutely no idea why they went to that side of the map, climbed on top of those trees , maybe some buzzard that angered them so much they climbed up there to try to kill those things and as AI seems to be unable to climb down in DF, they were stuck.

Will have to relaunch the tree cut operations, those things regrow so fast it's insane to see previously cleared zone filled with trees in a couple of months.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45364 on: January 09, 2016, 05:24:33 pm »

Yeah, trees grow waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fast. They're maybe not the number 1 reason for FPS death, but they don't help. I tried starting on deserts and other areas with sparse forestation. Okay, that makes you start with only a handful of suguaros. But once you're playing, trees just disregard biome parameters and start growing everywhere, turning a desert into a densely overgrown cactus forest.

EDIT: in other news, my fort just regained 5 FPS after atomsmashing 20 years worth of produced tallow.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 05:51:24 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45365 on: January 09, 2016, 08:12:20 pm »

Never make soil with trees / which can grow trees on it collapse. For some reason I have been getting collapses on the surface every few minutes (playing at ~20 fps) ever since I did that...I'd guess it tries to grow trees mid-air which then realize they got no ground below them and decide to dematerialize in a cloud of smoke and soil, tossing any possible bystanders around and sometimes tearing a hole into my visitor-temple.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #45366 on: January 09, 2016, 08:24:17 pm »

So basically, floor over everything that isn't a deliberate tree farm, using all the spare wood you'll inevitably have?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #45367 on: January 09, 2016, 08:29:06 pm »

Just got another goblin siege on a very long serie my fortress defenders destroyed during the more than 20 years of my long lived fortress, only +/- 100 gobs/beak dogs/trolls this time.

The more than experienced military squads utterly annhilated them, losing 1 guy, that was the newbie i drafted to replace one of my experienced soldier that had been lost in the previously posted "stuck in tree" bug.
Bad luck.

But looking at the reports, i noticed the actions of one of my legendary sword dwarves, her name is
Nish Becorolon Nartizot Likot , in human language Nish Temptedgears "The Raw Shank of Inks"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:o

That's no swordmaster, that's a monstrous killing machine powered by total destruction.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 08:32:12 pm by Robsoie »

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #45368 on: January 09, 2016, 08:48:44 pm »

This just happened...

I have never even seen twins before. They're not identical.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #45369 on: January 09, 2016, 10:20:24 pm »

A vampire killed a baby. I mined out several parts of the walls and doors in my bedroom level to try to get at mineral deposits.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #45370 on: January 10, 2016, 12:42:35 pm »

How does a vampire kill a baby? Babies don't sleep. Was it an orphan?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #45371 on: January 10, 2016, 12:56:41 pm »

Actually, I think babies do sleep now. I found the dead baby's clothes over a bed. The baby had been killed in a bedroom.

Or maybe it was a child.

So yeah, I now have a vampire out on the loose.

And no millitary except a bunch of unarmed and untrained dwarves I put in a squad.

And no iron weapons or anything. I only have tin (no copper).

This is gonna be fun.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #45372 on: January 10, 2016, 01:12:43 pm »

Check your mayor.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45373 on: January 10, 2016, 02:35:39 pm »

Times are good for the tribe. So ample are their stores of food from hunting, that no tribesman need till the soil. The stone hatch fashioned in haste secured the safety of the tribe from the underdark, and trade with the nomads yielded fish and meats unavailable here, as well as stone "bars" to make more weaponry from.

The ample supplies of bone from many slain animals also means the the tribe's war host will soon have proper armor, or at least as proper as can be managed given the times. One can only hope that the goblins will now come for us, that the warriors will have real foes to fight.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45374 on: January 10, 2016, 02:46:32 pm »

I freed the poor little plump helmet man from it's tree. It's safely stowed in a cagetrap now awaiting ... processing.

While working on the flooring to the tree to free it, some crundles passed by.

Remember my dwarves who got their fingers bitten off by crundles, and magically repaired by my medical team?
Well, one's a militia captain nowadays.
He got some payback.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 3023 3024 [3025] 3026 3027 ... 3836