Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3029 3030 [3031] 3032 3033 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5852011 times)

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45450 on: January 12, 2016, 06:37:31 pm »

Right, so which directory do I stick it under? And which stockpile setting are instrument parts under?

You  can run DT from any folder; it only looks at the memory space DF is occupying while it is running, and so it doesn't care where the files are.

I have no idea about stockpiles, sorry :/
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45451 on: January 12, 2016, 06:48:23 pm »

I remember it being under tools once, but then the stockpile would be filled with large pots and all that crap. I guess I'll just have to take the risk of this random bumblefuck peasant-turned-miner grabbing one of my masterwork stoneware parts. SCIENCE SOON, MY FRIENDS!
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

sirdanilot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45452 on: January 12, 2016, 08:16:30 pm »

So I just  breached through an aquifer !

I am very RUSTY at DF because the last time I played it was years ago. I used to plug aquifiers by channeling uit a blog then callapsing that into the aquifier, but nowadays you have to fiddle with pumps etc. In any case I didn't have enough ground above the aquifer to use the plug method, anyway.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45453 on: January 12, 2016, 09:06:28 pm »

I used to plug aquifiers by channeling uit a blog then callapsing that into the aquifier, but nowadays you have to fiddle with pumps etc.

As far as I know, previous methods still work.  Cave-in aquifer breaching is still a thing.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45454 on: January 12, 2016, 09:53:57 pm »

SCIENCE IS COMPLETE!

Unfortunately, 3 of my assembled instruments use silk strings and 1 uses cloth strings and damn if my weavers don't snap up any threads lying around the fort quickly! However, the 8 instruments I did produce were pretty enlightening:

Thatthil: Handheld glass musical instrument, leather bellows, metal pipes, wooden keyboard
Skill used: Glassmaking

Bashnom: Handheld ceramic instrument, leather bellows, stone pipes, stone keyboard
Skill used: Pottery

Ikud: Stationary ceramic instrument, glass pump, metal pipes, metal keyboard

Kulbet: Mid-sized, handheld metal stringed instrument with bone frame and metal body, wooden plectrum
Skill used: Bonecarving

Kikrost: Large stationary metal-stringed instrument with stone frame and metal body
Skill used: Stoencrafting

Letmos: Huge stationary percussion instrument, hourglass bone drum, leather head
Skill used: Bonecarving

Munsong: Large staionary percussion instrument, wooden chimes, metal frame
Skill used: Woodcrafting

Bamgus: Midsize handheld percussion instrument, consists of ceramic bar struck with metal stick

I don't have any bagpipe-like instruments, but I have reason to believe that it would be leatherworking, since the labor corresponds to the material fo the "main part"; that is, the part whose material shows up in the name of the completed item. One thing that has me concerned is that one of the stringed instruments had its body made at the mason's shop. Will it take masonry or stonecrafting to assemble it? I don't know, but DF just crashed and I need to get up early tomorrow.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #45455 on: January 12, 2016, 09:58:08 pm »

Wow, that's some great data, cochramd! Thank you.

I would conjecture that it would use stonecrafting even if it is at a masonry shop,  but I will be interested to find out.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45456 on: January 12, 2016, 10:44:39 pm »

Just smoothed over all of the occupied bedrooms, including one engraved urist of floor per.

Unless I want to build statues continuously in the hopes of getting one of every god in the fort (4/12 so far, and I must've made at least 100 statues to get even those) it's getting to the point of either retire or blow up. Not sure which way I'll go.  :-\

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45457 on: January 12, 2016, 11:27:42 pm »

I've read that the dwarf creating a statue will only make statues of the god(s) that he/she worships. If that's indeed true, then you want to rotate dwarves through the statue-making labor so that you have someone who worships each god making statues.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45458 on: January 13, 2016, 01:04:59 am »

In my previous for on this world, I had had a dwarf get bitten and infected by a were-zebra. I locked him in his bedroom and built a wall across the doorway and just left him there. He then had a strange mood, which I didn't let him loose for, so he turned melancholy. So that's how he was when I retired the fort, a melancholy were-zebra, walled into his bedroom.

Fast-forward a bit, and in my new fort, I'm seeing a number of immigrants from the old fort. getting a legendary stonecrafter, already nicknamed "Stonecrafter' in the second wave was nice, as were the legendary glassmaker and miner in the third wave. They must have liked my leadership or something. Maybe it was the cookies. Anyways, I'm watching a new batch of migrants appear at the edge of the map, and as one of them appears, he suddenly turns into a N with a ~ over it, and I get the notification that "DucimWere!" has turned into a were-zebra. Uh-oh.

Great timing, hitting the full moon right as he steps on the map, as part of a wave of 17 migrants. I figure it's going to get messy out there, so I order my entire military to get out there and kill him. I then watch to see how bloody it gets before the military arrives. And I watch the were-zebra wander slowly off to the side, as more new migrants appear and rush towards my fort. He's not attacking them, and he's not even headed towards the fort. huh? So I check him with v->g, and it tells me he's melancholy. Even in his were form, he's still melancholy. Ok, I'll take that.

A couple of migrants, a farmer and a potash maker, rush over and start punching him, but he doesn't respond. Too melancholy. Then the troops show up and after getting beaten on for a while, he gets a spear stuck in his neck, followed almost immediately by a hammer to the neck. This seems to be a bit too much, as he becomes enraged! But an enraged melancholy were-zebra is apparently still too melancholy to fight back, as he continues to do nothing. Eventually someone sticks a spear in his head and he dies. yay. No one even got bit.

So I turn off the alerts and get ready to start processing the new arrivals, when I see "Doren Rajustteshkad, Hunter, has been found dead." Huh? No one was injured in the fight, I was sure of it. I check the reports, and discover that my military is going after each other. Looks like killing a melancholy were-zebra has kicked off a loyalty cascade. Looks like this fort is going down.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45459 on: January 13, 2016, 10:29:50 am »

Does anyone know if dyed threads can be used to make instrument parts? Just thinking of how to crank up the value of my instruments.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45460 on: January 13, 2016, 11:31:50 am »

I don't see why not.  Some strings are made from metal and not silk, though.  You'll need giant cave spider silk thread for anything valuable.

Your valuable instruments are generally going to be those made from ceramic or metal, or possibly some exotic types of bones.  You could use ores for stone instruments too I guess.  Glass instruments are always made from green glass.

Also elves can bring instruments made from divine metal cloth.  You could always just buy them and decorate them.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45461 on: January 13, 2016, 11:39:01 am »

The plan is to start giant olm and giant toad farms for the bones and leather and use cast obsidian for the stone parts. Hopefully I'll be able to set up a GCS silk farm too, but if not I can always rely on the caravans for a good supply. As for the glass bits, I have my stockpile of pearlash and rock crystals set up; when I get home I'll see what happens when I link it to a glass furnace.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45462 on: January 13, 2016, 11:50:39 am »

I don't see why not.  Some strings are made from metal and not silk, though.  You'll need giant cave spider silk thread for anything valuable.

Your valuable instruments are generally going to be those made from ceramic or metal, or possibly some exotic types of bones.  You could use ores for stone instruments too I guess.  Glass instruments are always made from green glass.

Also elves can bring instruments made from divine metal cloth.  You could always just buy them and decorate them.

Is there a way to get the "standard" for a given instrument?
The name is RNG, but the components are random or are they following a pattern?
(Maybe is a question for DFHack)
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45463 on: January 13, 2016, 12:17:51 pm »

Is there a way to get the "standard" for a given instrument?
The name is RNG, but the components are random or are they following a pattern?
(Maybe is a question for DFHack)

Everything about the instruments is procedurally generated during worldgen.  The instrument types are chosen from a set of templates that generally mimic Earth instruments (bagpipes, fiddles, etc.).  The details vary with each in-game civilization -- sometimes the fiddle body is wood, sometimes it's glass, etc.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45464 on: January 13, 2016, 12:28:37 pm »

seems like I haven't posted in this thread for just over a year. I was on my 12th fort at that time, experiencing my first tantrum spiral which did manage to kill my fort.

I have started and abandoned an unknown number of forts since then. I am guessing I am on fort 15 or 16 right now based on time, but I feel like I have previously mentioned "18th fort". I achieved my first barony, and the next year I was elevated to duchy. My first truly successful fort as I even survived a siege with starting army ratio 1:12 and a death ratio of 1:25(previously my death ratio would be about 3:1.)

But now user-error and poor design has let a siege into my fort, and I lost most of my military in a brave but foolish 1:40 stand-off. I had just started dipping my toes into minecarts and tracks. I'll probably let this one go and start another.
Pages: 1 ... 3029 3030 [3031] 3032 3033 ... 3836