Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3067 3068 [3069] 3070 3071 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5839476 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46020 on: February 06, 2016, 01:11:46 pm »

Quote from: flabort
Are bar brawls typically lethal? 15 dead already.

Ooh, no, they aren't. I mena, sometimes a lucky shot will fell a particularly weak or poor fighter...

Maybe it is an actual loyalty cascade. They're way less common this update since most of the bugs that lead to them have been fixed.

Do you know what kicked it off?

Must have been a tavern full of off-time military men and pump operators/miners/stonehaulers.

Segregating strength class/physical build dwarves from more feeble and most likely nobledwarves via burrows is a recommendation to keeping accidents down. Those who can hit, take hits and those who can't just lightly swing at each other until they tire. Or at-least have a windowed wall from the next barracks over looking in for a fast response.

We can only hope that in the future work-dwarf-club restrictions ("oi mate you're not part of the guild of chiselling cheese syrup, you're barred from this pub") in guilds (going off dev-page info under "fortress subgroups") will help stop all these people mingling so much without explicit micromanagement and increase the popularity of tobacco, terrible toilet amenities and mini-bars.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #46021 on: February 06, 2016, 01:17:18 pm »

Are bar brawls typically lethal? 15 dead already.
Sigged.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46022 on: February 06, 2016, 01:29:33 pm »

If it is a loyalty cascade, you'd be tipped off by messages about dwarves being interrupted upon encountering dwarves on the other side of the cascade. Additionally, assuming the wiki's info isn't outdated on this, a few of the involved dwarves will wind up no longer subject to receiving orders from you due to no longer being loyal to the fort.
Nope, brawls will give the same interrupt message spam. Brawls typically end when the fighting parties (or at least half of them) are resting in hospital, or if you're really unlucky, dead.

What still should be a clear indicator though, is that in their profile, the cascading dwarves have become an enemy of your civilization (or maybe just your group)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 01:32:02 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46023 on: February 06, 2016, 05:17:37 pm »

Finally. After working with only 10 adult dwarves for 13 fort years, my first 2 children grew up to be productive members of my double clan fort (I got two marriages between my starting 7 in year 1). From now on, I can expect one or two dwarves to grow up each year.

Also, yay. The elves sold me a Gigantic Tortoise. I hope it'll lay as big a batch of eggs as my Giant Saltwater Crocodile does, which lays a batch of around 75 eggs every season. I placed it's nest box right next to the kitchen for convenience.
EDIT: meh it laid 8 eggs
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 05:57:11 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Lightfoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46024 on: February 06, 2016, 06:15:25 pm »

Also, yay. The elves sold me a Gigantic Tortoise. I hope it'll lay as big a batch of eggs as my Giant Saltwater Crocodile does, which lays a batch of around 75 eggs every season. I placed it's nest box right next to the kitchen for convenience.
EDIT: meh it laid 8 eggs

Gigantic tortoises are OK egg layers, but they do give you some nice butchery returns. Lots of meat and also 6-15 shells per animal. So it's a very convenient source of shells. They also live a very long time. And they're so lovable! Gotta love savage tropical biomes.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #46025 on: February 06, 2016, 06:45:15 pm »

I've been trying to get my egg-laying birds to have the eggs hatched so I can butcher things without worrying about running out of animals.

No success so far. Also, my (admittedly only three) miners may be some time when digging to find caverns.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46026 on: February 06, 2016, 07:35:21 pm »

Release the male and female birds in a pen, then wait a bit before giving them a nest box, or the female will lay eggs before the male has had time to fertilize. After that, make sure that the eggs aren't hauled away to a stockpile (just have no egg stockpile is what I do), and forbid the eggs from cooking in the kitchen screen.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #46027 on: February 06, 2016, 09:39:49 pm »

welp, I'm screwed
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46028 on: February 06, 2016, 09:47:21 pm »

Yeah, that one lonely sea lamprey looks so menacing.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46029 on: February 06, 2016, 11:59:02 pm »

Newb.

Carp still strike fear into the hearts of anyone who played back in the days of 40d. They had the same biting attack as a lion, gained XP (and thus strength and agility attributes) from swimming, and were known to leap from their murky pools to drag hapless dwarves into a realm of watery death. A carp-infested river was a greater threat then most goblin sieges, because you can't lock your only water source outside of the fort.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46030 on: February 07, 2016, 02:04:25 am »

Yes, ignore the infamous slayer of dwarves in favor of pointing out that one of these things is not like the others. That's da joke. :V
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46031 on: February 07, 2016, 04:25:15 am »

Newb.

Carp still strike fear into the hearts of anyone who played back in the days of 40d. They had the same biting attack as a lion, gained XP (and thus strength and agility attributes) from swimming, and were known to leap from their murky pools to drag hapless dwarves into a realm of watery death. A carp-infested river was a greater threat then most goblin sieges, because you can't lock your only water source outside of the fort.
The only thing worse than carp were skeletal carp, which did not feel inclined at all to restrict themselves to water, and just crawled over land to end your fort.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46032 on: February 07, 2016, 12:25:58 pm »

Newb.

The only thing worse than carp were skeletal carp, which did not feel inclined at all to restrict themselves to water, and just crawled over land to end your fort.

Someone had a zombie blue whale, once.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #46033 on: February 07, 2016, 12:30:40 pm »

... ever heard of skeletal war dogs? ;~;

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #46034 on: February 07, 2016, 12:56:37 pm »

Sigged.
Pages: 1 ... 3067 3068 [3069] 3070 3071 ... 3836