Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3111 3112 [3113] 3114 3115 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861530 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46680 on: March 11, 2016, 07:22:19 pm »

Grarin. "An image of kobolds, elves, sokokoshalmis and a full moon. The kobolds are praying to the full moon. The kobolds are raising the sokokoshalmis. The full moon is striking down the elves."
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46681 on: March 11, 2016, 08:09:13 pm »

This is the most "dwarven" instrument I have ever seen.
I imagine that only the strongest and toughest dwarves can play it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I imagine that only the strongest and toughest forum readers can see that image. I guess I'm not one of them. :(

The funny thing is, if I take the URL from your posting and open in in chrome, I can see it.

For those who also can't see the image, it says:

The kulal is a huge stationary percussion instrument.
It consists of a stone block.
The musician strikes the block.
The instrument has a single low pitch.
the instrument has a light buzzy crisp timbre.

Yeah, that's a pretty dwarfy instrument. There doesn't seem to be a hammer that is used to strike it, so I can only assume the musician uses his head.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Spy227X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46682 on: March 11, 2016, 08:19:29 pm »

This is the most "dwarven" instrument I have ever seen.
I imagine that only the strongest and toughest dwarves can play it.

Edit into your post if possible.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:38:23 pm by Spy227X »
Is this freshwater or saltwater? Because alternatively you could breed a large amount of crocodiles and unleash them into the waters... indirect genocide.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46683 on: March 11, 2016, 08:23:46 pm »

I imagine that only the strongest and toughest forum readers can see that image. I guess I'm not one of them. :(

Hm, it was okay at first, but now I have the same problem. Will be careful about this hosting in future, it has weird interaction with the forum engine...

There doesn't seem to be a hammer that is used to strike it, so I can only assume the musician uses his head.

I thought about a bit less tough use, to strike it with fists. But that's probably for newbie Novice musicians. Legendary guys use head for sure  :)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46684 on: March 11, 2016, 10:27:46 pm »

Haven't played fort mode in ages, and I just lost my comeback fort to a flood because I was stupid and forgot to depressurize the cistern's intake from the river. Water bubbled up from the well on the top floor of the fort, in the ornate underground "inner courtyard" I'd made out of some overlapping magnetite clusters we'd mined out. It was intended as a home for industries reliant on the surface, and had little carved out houses and storage rooms. The miner, and the only pick in the fortress, were the first casualties, trapped by flowing water in a channel he was digging around the gate to the fortress proper. I was watching some elephants almost get caught by my cage trap and didn't notice until the drowning messages showed up, and by then it was far too late to actually save anybody.

10/10, would fail civil engineering again.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46685 on: March 12, 2016, 12:30:33 am »

Oh SHIT half a dozen giant keas when my bowkobolds aren't equipped yet. D:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46686 on: March 12, 2016, 12:50:58 am »

The move down to the Deepfort among the magma sea is almost complete. We've got the first real bedrooms instead of beds in a hallway, including (finally) the mayors quarters. The bookeeper has an actual office instead of a chair in a hallway, we have a real dining room instead of tables in a hallway, all forges and workshops are up and running and I've finally begun smelting all the ore we've been mining out.

The temporary upper fort a few levels below ground is almost completely abandoned, the only things left to shift are:
-My best militia squad (they actually have weapons!)
-The well (need to pipe water in from the flooded caverns)
-Soil layer farms and animal pasture (really must start piping that water)
-The "temple" (An empty smoothed room occupied most of the year by the outpost liaison who has refused to leave since he arrived two years ago)
-All of the junk that still hasn't been hauled to a stockpile downstairs
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46687 on: March 12, 2016, 01:22:44 am »

Well, lost a few bits of leather but no other problems occurred, having to jumpstart military production just in case more keas show up. On the plus side, slowly but surely stuff gets moved inside, more space gets mined out, and the fermented milk-type drink things start to add up.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Porjate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46688 on: March 12, 2016, 04:47:01 am »

I had some good !Fun! in my current fort.

After nearly a year in the badlands, we had a steady stream of visitors from neighbouring civs, including an Axedwarf who lodged a petition to stay as a mercenary. Our tavern was furnished and smoothed, the entryway had decorative statues of our groups symbol, and we had two shrines, one dedicated to Istrath Jadegolds and another for every other deity. The miners were working on a barracks and downward passage to the caverns, and despite the complete lack of wood our Carpenter had managed to maintain his skill until the caravan came along and offered a whole bunch of logs.

Shortly after the caravan left, we received a message:
Kubuk Thoedasmeng, Mage Poet is visiting.
I should've locked the door as soon as I saw his title of Mage, but I thought it'd turn out perfectly fine; after all, we had had a few strange visitors to our fort, and never had a problem with any of them.

As soon as he entered the entryway, two more messages popped up: microcline Statue toppled by Kubuk Thoedasmeng, Mage Poet.
Shortly after this, he ran straight to the temple dedicated to Jadegolds and toppled the statue of it. Immediately after this all hell broke loose.
Jadegolds cursed Kubuk, who immediately threw a 'strange chemical mixture' at the armourer next to him, who retaliated by firing his crossbow. Kubuk jumped away from the bolt, blinded the armourer, shocked him with a bolt of lightning and whacked him with the scroll he was holding before the armourer was suddenly petrified. Kubuk finished him off with a blow to the head, and proceeded to go on a rampage in the next shrine.
Dwarf after dwarf had bones shattered by Kubuk, who also had the ability to raise corpses and summon creatures. A stray hellhound tried to help, but ended up setting everyone in the temple on fire, and I could only watch as dwarf after dwarf was petrified, burnt or pulped by Kubuk, the Guineahen corpse, the Yak corpse and a bunch of 'Byakhees', until the militia commander finally managed to strike Kubuk down with an axe blow to the head.

In the end, we were left with only 9 dwarves out of the 21 we had, a couple of silkworms and 5 new calcite statues of various things. We also replaced the entryway statues with an image of Kubuk massacring dwarves.

All in all I am enjoying Dark Ages; I think I'll ban all legendary dwarves from visiting now though.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46689 on: March 12, 2016, 06:17:46 am »

A wereantelope child arrived and started two months of chaos.
It killed one dwarf and bit another before the militia commander charged out solo to beat it to death.
Unfortunately the bitten dwarf wasn't quite sealed in his hastily constructed prison in time and began a rampage.
Thank Armok he chose to go up into the waiting arms of my best melee squad. They ripped him to pieces, but not before several civvies decided it would be a good idea to "help" and got bit.
All 3 were sealed with about 2 days to spare. One turned.
Life returns to normal except now there is a wereantelope fisherdwarf in the old walled pasture on the surface.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46690 on: March 12, 2016, 07:59:03 am »

...well looks like the whole "visitors are secretly vampires, except not so secretly" bug is still around. Daze Bekatotnge, lady consort vampire is visiting my fort. Debating if I can find a way to trap her before one of my dwarves is killed, without wrecking my great hall/tavern.

EDIT: Followed shortly by three crashes at the same point. Finally figured out it was the TRAVEL_ADVISORY tag in the announcements.txt, it seems to be working now, knock on wood...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 09:29:03 am by FortunaDraken »
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Etc_Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46691 on: March 12, 2016, 01:48:32 pm »

I decided to retire Channelcouncils to head to an unpromised land in search of lava. This time, the land of "Nastyperfect" is a good savanna (for elephants) and an evil mountain (lots and lots of booze traps). Hopefully there is some lava somewhere in the first cavern layer.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46692 on: March 12, 2016, 01:53:08 pm »

My dwarves are reading and copying books from a necromancer's hoard.

... In fact, they seem to refuse to do anything else. There's jobs queued up, but they are just ransacking the library looking for things to read.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #46693 on: March 12, 2016, 02:08:25 pm »

So I was setting up my embark, trying to make up a good logo for my group, when in the "creatures" section I came across this (I know everyone and their mother had already made this joke in DF but w/e).

My face right now

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46694 on: March 12, 2016, 03:12:36 pm »

Every engraver, metalworker and mason in my fortress is obsessed with a night troll called Fatedbone The Abyss Of Twilight the night freak.  This thing is the subject of every other statue and engraving in the fort.  The statue garden turned out to be five statues of the night freak, and one of slugs.

H.P. Lovecraft, call your office.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.
Pages: 1 ... 3111 3112 [3113] 3114 3115 ... 3836