Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3115 3116 [3117] 3118 3119 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854000 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46740 on: March 14, 2016, 06:11:15 pm »

EDIT: WHY are the bone greaves mangled?

Are they "mangled bone greaves"? If so, they are greaves made from "mangled bones". So it's "(mangled bone) greaves", not "mangled (bone greaves)".

Also...halp. Stone arrows. Anyone puzzled out the PRODUCT_TOKEN well enough to figure out HOW to get it so I can select the desired material in the "details" for this type of reaction I've modded in?

There may be a special case for stone weapons. if you look in item_weapons.txt at ITEM_WEAPON_SHORT_SWORD, there is this:
[CAN_STONE]

That seems to be what allows one to make stone short swords, which are the only vanilla stone weapons. So I suspect that you need to add that to ITEM_AMMO_ARROWS in item_ammo.txt in order to make stone arrows. But I haven't tested this at all, I just remembered seeing the CAN_STONE and thought it might be relevant.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46741 on: March 14, 2016, 06:26:40 pm »

Are they "mangled bone greaves"? If so, they are greaves made from "mangled bones". So it's "(mangled bone) greaves", not "mangled (bone greaves)".

There may be a special case for stone weapons. if you look in item_weapons.txt at ITEM_WEAPON_SHORT_SWORD, there is this:
[CAN_STONE]

That seems to be what allows one to make stone short swords, which are the only vanilla stone weapons. So I suspect that you need to add that to ITEM_AMMO_ARROWS in item_ammo.txt in order to make stone arrows. But I haven't tested this at all, I just remembered seeing the CAN_STONE and thought it might be relevant.

The bone greaves were described as essentially XXbone greavesXX and thus indicating wear. I can only assume they were dropped on a refuse stockpile for some period of time due to lack of an armor stockpile. The desert heat couldn't have done so, as the other clothes (not to mention dwarven fat) would've hit their damage points long before then.

As for the other answer? I tried giving [CAN_STONE] to ammunition, it seems to only be a weapon token. That's literally the entire reason I modded in a custom reaction to make stone arrows. >.>
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Etc_Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46742 on: March 14, 2016, 07:48:33 pm »

Oh great! There's a forgotten beast roaming the caverns now.

Pulpycave the Deep Froths.

A huge skinless pterosaur. It has a broad horn and it appears to be emaciated. Beware its poisonous sting!

I had to seal my dwarfs from the caves for now, but once I did the wall blocked off a keet (not so special, there are some guineafowl that can lay more eggs,) and a peasant (not so easy to replace). It was quite funny leaving a dwarf and farm fowl chick to die to a skinless pterosaur.

And there is not much I can do because of a lack of metal smelting to make weapons for soldiers to kill the beast!

In other news from Nastyperfect, the first z-level of the subterranean tree farm roof is finally done. It took lots of quartzite but it's not done yet.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46743 on: March 14, 2016, 08:15:59 pm »

Hmmm, one of my herbalists was taken by a fey mood. I checked, and her highest moodable skill is armorsmith. Yay, devoting a forge restricted to only dabblers and with repeat jobs to make copper helms, bolts, chains and buckets (all to be melted back down) does a nice job of prepping people like her to have useful moods.

A while later, I realized that she hadn't claimed a forge yet, so I went looking for her and found her right where she was when she was taken by the mood, a level above ground in my orchard. :-/ I started to build a stairway up to her, thinking she was stranded in the tree when I realized that she was standing on top of a stepladder. She should be able to just climb down the ladder, but I suspect I've found a new bug.

I'll try building the stairs up to her to see if she'll take them down instead of just climbing down the ladder. I doubt that chopping down the tree would have any effect, since she's not actually in the tree. If the stairs don't work, she may be in trouble, since I can't chop down the stepladder.

Guess I should save and make a copy of the save so I can upload to dffd and open a bug on mantis.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46744 on: March 14, 2016, 08:47:02 pm »

Magma crabs climbed in through diagonally linked stairs and killed the miners.
I thought this bug had been fixed?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46745 on: March 14, 2016, 08:53:00 pm »

Magma crabs climbed in through diagonally linked stairs and killed the miners.
I thought this bug had been fixed?

Your fort has crabs. o3o
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #46746 on: March 14, 2016, 09:12:06 pm »

Hmmm, one of my herbalists was taken by a fey mood. I checked, and her highest moodable skill is armorsmith. Yay, devoting a forge restricted to only dabblers and with repeat jobs to make copper helms, bolts, chains and buckets (all to be melted back down) does a nice job of prepping people like her to have useful moods.

A while later, I realized that she hadn't claimed a forge yet, so I went looking for her and found her right where she was when she was taken by the mood, a level above ground in my orchard. :-/ I started to build a stairway up to her, thinking she was stranded in the tree when I realized that she was standing on top of a stepladder. She should be able to just climb down the ladder, but I suspect I've found a new bug.

I'll try building the stairs up to her to see if she'll take them down instead of just climbing down the ladder. I doubt that chopping down the tree would have any effect, since she's not actually in the tree. If the stairs don't work, she may be in trouble, since I can't chop down the stepladder.

Guess I should save and make a copy of the save so I can upload to dffd and open a bug on mantis.

Dump the stepladder out from under her?

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46747 on: March 14, 2016, 09:23:07 pm »

Damn, another crash while saving. Maybe it as because I was using dfhack?

DoktaYut

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:OCEAN_DEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46748 on: March 14, 2016, 09:28:10 pm »

Hmm, last time I had crabs they only killed one guy. The rest got punched to death by my woodcrafters and a miller who laughed at them afterwards. Can they spit across up/down stairs, vertically?
This is a Bay 12 Forum Post. Written on the item is a signature entitled Thoughts on Signatures, authored by Dokta Yut. It concerns the elaboration, selection and display of forum signatures. The writing is very concise, yet it has a touch of humor. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46749 on: March 14, 2016, 09:50:55 pm »

Hmm, last time I had crabs they only killed one guy. The rest got punched to death by my woodcrafters and a miller who laughed at them afterwards. Can they spit across up/down stairs, vertically?
I don't think so. But they will path through vertical stairs.
They are weak creatures, but their attacks cause mass bleeding.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46750 on: March 14, 2016, 10:37:03 pm »

If only because their spit is now proper liquid. We dared to think it was a bug, to have a seemingly harder-hitting solid spit. It was merely a mercy.

Also, in Kobold Kamp...

[9:09:31 PM] Chaosvolt: *giggles* Now, to wait for dwarven thieves...I mean scouts.
[9:09:49 PM] Nanners Fo_fanners: Do they primarily steal booze?
[9:10:25 PM] Chaosvolt: ...I SHOULD"VE THOUGHT OF THAT!
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46751 on: March 15, 2016, 12:21:08 am »

Oddom Tekkudsil, Armorer has created Tadsherik Abanlorbam, a jagged steel left gauntlet!
Someone better creates a right gauntlet next time.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46752 on: March 15, 2016, 04:27:02 am »

nope, no stockpiles for those
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46753 on: March 15, 2016, 04:56:50 am »

Quick question about stockpiles: is there a stockpile which will receive plant slurry or animal hair thread? I can't seem to find any.

Far as I know, only refuse piles will accept animal hair.

-

The Hauld, possessed of the hold's only pick, descended downward, in search of ore. And unfortunately, he finds it: Sphalerite. Of no use to the military needs of Morksongr's norsemen. There are also whispers of an ill omen - the discovery of a massive cavern system within which the junk ore was found.

It is said that the Dokalfr, the dwarves as they and most others call them, often delve these dark pits and find great wealth. But, more often, they also find great peril.

The Hauld has decreed however, that they are true to their ways, and will not let the tales of the dooms that befell the dwarves frighten them away from needed resources. Should the need arise, the hersir will lead their warriors downwards, to make war upon its denizens.

But a vigil is needed, and so the Hersir seeks recruits to watch over this dark realm. Hopefully they will be able to hold their own with their shields, as weapons are now far too few.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46754 on: March 15, 2016, 08:56:15 am »

My dwarves are rejoicing. The 50th citizen was born today, now they only need to wait 12 more years for it to grow up, and they can finally have a mayor, and captain of the guard.

EDIT: wait wut. I thought a mayor needed 50 adults. I guess I remembered wrongly. My expedition leader just got elected as mayor. I guess priming him with some conversational skills on embark, 47 years ago, still paid off. Which is good, because I selected him for being a no-mandate candidate.

EDIT: hah! My unwanted book library grows! The caravan just sold me two masterworks concerning the worthlessness of loyalty (two different titles, two chances to convert I guess). If I ever want my dwarves to become a disloyal bunch, I just need to unforbid those.

and another EDIT: reading it's description via the relations screen, I found out one of my civilization's deities is not only pretty badass, having recieved worship of 4 necromancer dwarves, and helping a koala brute, a demon of glass, and a lemon fiend become a permanent part of the living world in a time before time, but she's also likely still very present in the world today. She recieved her last worship only 2 years before the foundation of my fort.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 04:29:54 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 3115 3116 [3117] 3118 3119 ... 3836