Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3116 3117 [3118] 3119 3120 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787040 times)

Etc_Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46755 on: March 15, 2016, 05:47:12 pm »

I finally struck magma!! There's a few magma crabs but they shouldn't be a threat for now. A good way to stop fire imp and magma crab attacks would be pumping up the magma under a room in my fort and grate the holes. Lets get pumpin'!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46756 on: March 15, 2016, 06:22:19 pm »

Hah! It seems we have driven off the giant keas without a single theft, and without anyone getting killed. Sadly the keas also suffered no casualties either.

EDIT: Giant BLUE JAYS? Ohgodwut.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:24:04 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46757 on: March 15, 2016, 07:14:47 pm »

Giant birds are meat. Train some marksdwarves quickly!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46758 on: March 15, 2016, 07:19:15 pm »

Giant birds are meat. Train some marksdwarves quickly!

I did, but I need more ammo. D:

And...yay, kobold karavan arrives.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46759 on: March 15, 2016, 07:32:21 pm »

The Ages of Theater, a performance troupe, is visiting.

What a strange troupe.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46760 on: March 15, 2016, 07:53:39 pm »

Well, we have more animals now, and a duck that...proved useless.

Also making a second fishing spot directly over the river, as it turns out the well eventually ran out of fish.

EDIT: My tavern now has a shlidifrilbis, a sokokoshalmis, and a srolofrayngin installed in it. :V

EDIT 2: I lost my original miner kobold. He decided to deconstruct part of the bridge over the river while STANDING on it. I wanted to cheat to let him live, but no. Instead I simply cheated to give kobolds masonry so I can make a slab for him. It is a bit odd to have kobolds able to mine stone and not use it for furniture.

"Swim! Swim for your life, you cocksucker! Almost there!"

He drowned literally on the shore of the river.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:49:04 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46761 on: March 16, 2016, 01:39:37 am »

Horrifying screams come from the darkness below.

Thirty are dead. But fortunately the clowns were more interested in destroying everything on the way than finding more dwarves to kill. Only a handful of the elite soldiers survived but they managed to build a wall JUST before the second wave crawled out.

----Edit*

Then two human (elite) crossbowmen died from bleeding. It appeared they killed each other, or shot by others. Dfhack didn't give a clue.

----Edit*3

Wait, what? The third human corssbowman died!
WAS THERE AN ELF SNIPER LURKING NEARBY?

----Edit*4

Goblin siege, 80 goblins vs 17 dwarves.
A hammerdwarfs died in the chaos, but they managed to defeat the goblins.
The captain of the marksdwarf squad ran out to bashed goblins with his steel crossbow while enemy arrows rained down upon him. Maybe I should transfer him to the melee squad to replace the hammerdwarf.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 02:41:00 am by Libash_Thunderhead »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46762 on: March 16, 2016, 01:07:19 pm »

Well, I'm trying to turn the two rivers running down either side of my fort into a system of chokepoints for detecting and annoying any threats to my kobolds earlier. However, the rivers are at different heights, so I can't just neatly channel out a way to connect them. There has to be some form of retaining structure which provides something enemies could climb over if they HAD to, so I can't lockdown the north and south chokepoints.

In other news, migrants arriving from the north. Where my artificial water barrier is still refilling. Traffic designations ensure they use the tunnel going under it, but this water buffalo calk wants to ford across instead. :V

EDIT: Lamb? Nyet! Fucking, now two animals are now trying and failing to path out of a shallow reservoir that's gradually filling up. -_-
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:10:17 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46763 on: March 16, 2016, 01:10:08 pm »

Um... wut?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46764 on: March 16, 2016, 01:13:03 pm »

Um... wut?

I'm playing as kobolds, so... :V

Also fuck, my migrant hunters are always markskobolds when we don't even USE crossbows.

EDIT: Amazingly, despite having a lamb, a water buffalo calf, a cavy pup, a horse, and two mules all take the stupid route, we only lost the lamb. ALL of them made it.

EDIT 2: SWIMS_INNATE is one hell of a drug. That lamb eventually made it out.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:24:02 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46765 on: March 16, 2016, 01:25:42 pm »

Um... wut?

I'm playing as kobolds, so... :V

Also fuck, my migrant hunters are always markskobolds when we don't even USE crossbows.

For future kamps, I recommend adding a hunting bow that uses the crossbow skill for kobolds. Had to do that for the norsemen I've been playing (since it didn't really make sense for them to use crossbows.)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46766 on: March 16, 2016, 01:43:05 pm »

Hmm, that might work, would seem a bit odd though. Especially since it'll be visible on the embark screen, as profession names aren't cited there. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46767 on: March 16, 2016, 01:48:55 pm »

I fail to see how. Hunting uses weapons that use the marksman/marksdwarf skill (I think the tag is  CROSSBOW.) So a hunting bow that uses that skill instead of the regular bow skill would do the job.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46768 on: March 16, 2016, 02:00:01 pm »

I mean it'll solve one oddity at the cost of a different one (solve the abnormal skill learned by hunters, cause the embark screen to show an odd skill). Then again...will they arrive with a "hunting bow" if their available weapon and skill matched up? If so then I suppose it's useful to do so, but if not than I trade one visible oddity for another. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Etc_Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46769 on: March 16, 2016, 04:48:36 pm »

The magma crabs took interest in this alien drilled hole in the wall and wondered were it lead to. At the top of the spiral hole ledge, a smaller tunnel kept going until an unusually smooth wall appeared and that's were we cornered this thing called a "dwarf".

Luckily none of them took interest in my ranger and went all the way back down the stairs and I tried to set up a wall to stop them but those idiots building the walls always locked them behind and trapping themselves. Oh well... That's when a migrant wave came in and found now "Nastyperfect" has 80 citizens!!!! Magma Crab is brought to you by the letter C.

goblin Christmas has arrived!

It was horrible! I made a quick borrow and tried to close the drawbridge but it was never linked with the lever! First the goblins killed the pigs, then the soldiers, and then the aboveground livestock. I had to abandon the fort the second the goblin siege lost interest.
Pages: 1 ... 3116 3117 [3118] 3119 3120 ... 3835