Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3155 3156 [3157] 3158 3159 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5865202 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47340 on: May 05, 2016, 05:44:14 pm »

Oh wow...found out werekangaroos are smart enough to go down a well, swim to another well, pop out and attack civilians....I fear my story will end faster than even I thought.    :-[

Don't seem to understand how doors work on the other hand....
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47341 on: May 05, 2016, 06:33:20 pm »

Oh wow...found out werekangaroos are smart enough to go down a well, swim to another well, pop out and attack civilians....I fear my story will end faster than even I thought.    :-[

my dorfs got overrun by a werebear in year 2 of the fortress. i never get my defenses done fast enough, but this time it just jumped over my 5 tiles wide moat right into the entrance. my militia hasn't had even one training session, so they all got killed. i hate werebeasts.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47342 on: May 06, 2016, 06:00:10 am »

my dorfs got overrun by a werebear in year 2 of the fortress. i never get my defenses done fast enough, but this time it just jumped over my 5 tiles wide moat right into the entrance. my militia hasn't had even one training session, so they all got killed. i hate werebeasts.
I had the exact opposite situation. The werelizard leaped into the river, swam partway to the well but turned human before it got all the way and drowned in the tunnel supplying my only well.  ::)
The dumbest part is that I'm playing a "No Turtling" fort so it could have just waltzed in the front door. Would have been quicker too.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #47343 on: May 06, 2016, 06:30:02 am »

I'm playing a "No Turtling" fort so it could have just waltzed in the front door.

Does that mean you eliminated traps in long corridors as well? Or just drawbridges and moats?

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #47344 on: May 06, 2016, 08:02:19 am »

Not much happening for me.
Usual stuff.

Spoiler: Siege nailed (click to show/hide)

Good training sessions in perspective :)

[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47345 on: May 06, 2016, 10:36:12 am »

Cage trap spam can still be effective even if you don't have a lockdown system for your fort, yeah. Though then you'll get fucked up by militia dwarves running out to try and kill the approaching invaders. If you run out of traps before you run out of invaders, you can't lock down the trapped zone to reload them like usual.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47346 on: May 06, 2016, 03:53:57 pm »

Well, spring of my latest year at Tongsburns has come to an end.  Death, screaming, blood.  A vampire who was chased about the Fortress, a few infected Dwarfs who became werekangarooes, and a loyalty cascade that was not as bad as it could have been.  No doubt my Goblin Mayor hates his job by now. 

Yet, we have a ton of food, drink, and a good egg industry.  We still get migrants and I am looking forward to seeing how a goblin handles trade with caravans.

Boy...I always feel like my story chapters are lame compared to the events themselves.  Just not enough time and room to write down all the details.   
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47347 on: May 06, 2016, 03:58:41 pm »

i'll start a new fort tomorrow. 2x2 embark as usual. maybe this time i'll get all turtled up and self sufficient before any werebeast, FB or whatnot comes rampaging.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47348 on: May 06, 2016, 09:59:30 pm »

Six dwarves sharing a feast of cave crocodile simultaneously.

Yes, there are dwarves, I hit printscreen at the wrong instant and it just showed the table.

Aside from a were-rabbit, fortress defense is going well.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47349 on: May 07, 2016, 03:20:29 am »

Weremammothism has wiped out a 3rd of my fort. After the initial attack, I just plain forgot about infection. It seemed like most of the civilians involved in the mess were dead... but evidently at least one escaped. A month later they transformed in the main residence hall with disastrous results. This time the surviving victims were sealed in the hospital... and there, I'm not quite sure what happened. Next full moon I saw two dwarves transform, and a third dwarf had apparently slipped in before I sealed it somehow. It didn't go well for him. But the weremammoths died too... somehow. And that brings a strange end to this tragic tale. Or does it?

The pump operator has destroyed a table!

What?

I check, sure enough the pump operator was bitten. I'm not sure how he escaped notice or why he's smashing stuff currently, he's still a dwarf at the moment, but I know it's only a matter of time. With my fort now seriously short-handed (no mechanic for instance) I scramble to figure out how to contain him. Finally just I tell him to repeatedly pull a defunct lever in the deepest part of the mine, and order a wall be constructed behind him. And wait, and wait. But it seems no one wants this job. As the days tick by and the full moon approaches, I send the militia to stand guard, prepared for the worst. Finally, JUST as he transforms, some farmer comes down and builds the wall.

And with that, the last of the evil is contained, sort of at least.
Akur Akir Akam!

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47350 on: May 07, 2016, 11:26:44 am »

Necromancer siege...there were 4 necromancers and 50 zombies.
My newly formed military didnt have a chance.

florxnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47351 on: May 07, 2016, 03:35:26 pm »

Worst first migrant wave ever. Put in spoiler because big image is big.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47352 on: May 07, 2016, 05:13:35 pm »

looks like most of my migrant waves. last time i was doing the victory dance when finally a wave with 50%+ adults came to my fortress.

florxnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47353 on: May 07, 2016, 05:59:49 pm »

looks like most of my migrant waves. last time i was doing the victory dance when finally a wave with 50%+ adults came to my fortress.

Doesn't help that of the adult dwarves I got two farmers, a Gelder and a Potash Maker
The Leatherworker isn't too bad I guess. I don't normally mess around with the meat industry.

Haulers are always welcome, I guess.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 06:03:15 pm by florxnog »

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47354 on: May 07, 2016, 08:02:40 pm »

I'm playing a "No Turtling" fort so it could have just waltzed in the front door.
Does that mean you eliminated traps in long corridors as well? Or just drawbridges and moats?
No traps, no moats, no drawbridges. Just a lonnnnnnng 3 wide ramp tunnel down to the level above the magma sea where my trade depot sits.
Spoiler: Well Pipeline (click to show/hide)
From there you've got 3 doors leading to the tavern, the barracks, and everything else respectively.
Spoiler: Magma Sea Fort (click to show/hide)
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.
Pages: 1 ... 3155 3156 [3157] 3158 3159 ... 3836