Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3200 3201 [3202] 3203 3204 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5859448 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48015 on: July 29, 2016, 08:33:02 pm »

I am struggling to get my kobolds to

I need feedback: should I revert my complex fix that made stone no longer count as metal? The only major consequence is can't make stone bridges (makes it count as metalsmithing), but then I can finally get them to use specific stones for spears.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48016 on: July 29, 2016, 09:22:16 pm »

Non-modding tip for non-modding Dragon(is there such a Dragon? They tend to breathe fire and stuff): If you go into "stone by type" and press forbid, it mass forbids every type of stone. Then you can go pick up the one you want for stockpile link or something.

@crundle: Interesting, what does the legends mode say the gobbos were up to till then?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48017 on: July 29, 2016, 09:29:53 pm »

Oh FUCK me. So I discovered why I have a fuckton of willow spears and no raw adamantine spears. You know how normally only obsidian is usable for stone weapons? Turns out if you use the details screen to specify the desired stone, it makes a wooden weapon instead. Which normally isn't REQUIRED unless you mod more types of stone to be usable for that, but you can indeed replicate this bug in vanilla.

Issue reported here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9943

Guess I'm gonna get my fucking raw adamantine spears the old-fashioned way, by using stockpile link fuckery to ensure the fuckers use the right stone.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48018 on: July 29, 2016, 11:01:20 pm »

Year 11, and we've finally captured something useful: a weretortoise.  It busted straight through my bait doors rather than trying to destroy them and engaged the dog pack, killing 4 before transforming back and fleeing straight into a cage trap.

If nothing else, this should be valid silk farm bait.  Y'know, if I can't think of anything else to do with a weretortoise.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48019 on: July 29, 2016, 11:37:20 pm »

you might want to read the reports and if anyone got bitten throw them somewhere they can't possibly survive as weresquirrel infection was how Tomeburies died the second time

Good idea. Do you think they could be used as war beasts? Not as in trained war beasts like dogs, but something to unleash on invading goblins. Maybe with a well-built channel system, they could be unleashed with the pull of a lever.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48020 on: July 30, 2016, 12:24:05 am »

Sure, with proper timing. Weremilitary is especially potent against things that cause otherwise untreatable wounds, such as nasty syndromes - and they do not need to be in wereform to get that or the stat boost.

Just make sure they're sealed before you open up your fort again, and be prepared to lose migrants if they spawn right on top of them.

@Daris:

Thanks for confirming werebeasts could do that. I feared so, but now I am sure. Defeating that...Perhaps a tunnel with ramps into hatches on both ends, with doggie on pressure plate linked to those in the middle? Werebeast goes in, kills doggie, can't leave.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48021 on: July 30, 2016, 06:16:02 am »

The new farm system underneath the third cavern has taken longer than I would have liked to setup, but it's finally operational. Next time I construct a complex floodgate array I'm dumping the mechanisms next to it first.

The new tavern/dining room shaft above the farms is increasingly furnished, and already drawing patrons down from the Great Hall and adjoining tavern 80 levels above.

The last of the roads stretching from the fort entrance to all four borders is almost done. Pathways to all visitors will be guaranteed.

There is much still to do but we will soon be ready to abandon the surface and the shallows and move permanently down into the depths where we belong. Now if only these giant bats would piss off  >:(
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48022 on: July 30, 2016, 10:57:30 am »

a were sheep attacked.... not sure how many got bitten and if it ends up ruining my fort I will revert to earlier save

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48023 on: July 30, 2016, 11:22:40 am »

a were sheep attacked.... not sure how many got bitten and if it ends up ruining my fort I will revert to earlier save

Sounds like the RNG fleeced you.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48024 on: July 30, 2016, 12:48:56 pm »

You're gonna be in for a baaaaaa-d time
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48025 on: July 30, 2016, 12:52:30 pm »

Not sure why anyone wouldn't want a whole fort of were-sheep.  Four legs good, two legs bad.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48026 on: July 30, 2016, 01:32:57 pm »

Let us know how it turns out. IT SHOULD BE QUITE THE YARN.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48027 on: July 30, 2016, 01:34:09 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #48028 on: July 30, 2016, 01:43:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
IT IS TIME FOR THE ANTI-FUN.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48029 on: July 30, 2016, 03:44:55 pm »

So I accidentally set up the butcher shop inside my friendly reanimating mountain, and then a dog skeleton was punched to smithereens by my butcher, and then the smithereens started animating and most everything was fine until the skull ended up in the middle of the room with ~40 dwarves in the eight tiles surrounding it, followed by ten minutes of me watching in horror as my entire fort proceeded to attempt to break the fucking skull with their bare hands (or, in the case of the militia, who were all present, steel fucking battleaxes).

FPS started to drop precipitously and I eventually gave up when my dwarves started getting overexerted and goddamnit I had a caravan to attend to. After I dfhacked the little bitch of a skull outta there, I noticed something odd--almost all of my dwarves were flashing for legendary status. So I opened up therapist, and...

The 30 dwarves who I assume were in the conflict are almost all now legendary observers of one level or another. So nobody is sneaking into Machinedreams anytime soon, I guess. Probably the result of seeing 30 attacks resolve in front of them over and over again for a month or two?
Pages: 1 ... 3200 3201 [3202] 3203 3204 ... 3836