Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3201 3202 [3203] 3204 3205 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5838517 times)

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48031 on: July 30, 2016, 05:13:55 pm »

In Mansionvipers, we had a close call with the food, because it kind of slipped my mind that even though I have only 7 working dwarves, I have almost 50 altogether.  Keeping all those little freeloaders future laborers precious bundles of joy fed and boozed and clothed is a tall order for just seven adults.  I also forgot that tallow is in the "other" category, and I thought I had 200 cheese when I actually had 0 cheese.

Butchering a couple of the older, stringer sheep held the fort over until the harvest came in, so all was well in the end.

I'm not sure how much longer this fort will be playable, though.  I'm on year 12 with only 48 dwarves and FPS is already down to 30.  That's kind of terrible when one intends to play a fort indefinitely, ideally for at least a couple of decades.  I don't have a ton of animals yet, either, so I don't know what is sucking my FPS.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48032 on: July 30, 2016, 05:14:55 pm »

In Mansionvipers, we had a close call with the food, because it kind of slipped my mind that even though I have only 7 working dwarves, I have almost 50 altogether.  Keeping all those little freeloaders future laborers precious bundles of joy fed and boozed and clothed is a tall order for just seven adults.  I also forgot that tallow is in the "other" category, and I thought I had 200 cheese when I actually had 0 cheese.

Butchering a couple of the older, stringer sheep held the fort over until the harvest came in, so all was well in the end.

I'm not sure how much longer this fort will be playable, though.  I'm on year 12 with only 48 dwarves and FPS is already down to 30.  That's kind of terrible when one intends to play a fort indefinitely, ideally for at least a couple of decades.  I don't have a ton of animals yet, either, so I don't know what is sucking my FPS.
Have you revealed any caves?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48033 on: July 30, 2016, 05:22:13 pm »

Have you revealed any caves?

Only one, and it's currently both completely sealed off so critters can't enter, and sealed from the rest of the fortress so it doesn't cause pathing issues.  I know that caverns deplete FPS and FPS dropped about 10 when it was opened, but that doesn't explain the other 60 that are missing.

crundle

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #48034 on: July 30, 2016, 06:18:17 pm »

...@crundle: Interesting, what does the legends mode say the gobbos were up to till then?

looks like the gobbos were attacking other settlements of my civ those last 4 years
before that, they were busy exterminating the elves - there is only one elf left in my world :D

anyway, Machineworks is chugging along fine - everyone is extatic to the point of madness, stuff gets done and no threats to worry about (unless i get a dragon...)

@MehMuffin: thats awesome and demands !!SCIENCE!! - now where do i get an undead skull...

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48035 on: July 30, 2016, 08:31:30 pm »

Fatalmines is now over 13 years old, dying slowly from FPS death, found cotton candy but no clown cave yet, mining the rich spire out, caravans arriving again instead of instant-sepuku but the goblins are now bugged and invade then disappear save two or three. My surgeon went crazy and made a cotton candy bed which I gave to my baroness who has never made edicts and just lets things roll while the king is a wild jackass who has about every dwarf in the fort down for some offense. Some dwarves are almost at 360+ days in prison if I built a prison or had a captain of the guard. My internal defenses keep laying upon themselves with catapults, ballistas, traps, seals and frankly I think you have better odds in Verdun. The fort is almost ready for the clown car to come to town but not yet. Got about half the fortress under arms now at 80 militia out of 191 total not counting siege crews who do nothing but man the big guns.

Frankly I am bored out of my skull right now, just waiting to get my cotton candy armor and swords before going to visit the circus then I can have !!FUN!!

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #48036 on: July 31, 2016, 03:35:40 am »

Another siege in Workquest came with over 40 goblins. This time I managed to secure most of my livestock in safe fortress' halls. Set up my military in entrance choke-point with some cage traps to lower enemy numbers. Killed a few goblins, caught six of them, and this is where I decided to close main gate and build a drowning chamber. I devised a way to get water from brook, made additional security system with bridges, floodgates and hatches, dug down to cavern to make drain and took all the stuff that was in place where I wanted the chamber. Then when I was almost ready to open gate of my fortress, goblins decided to just leave. I opened the gates and my dwarves started clearing surface of visitor corpses. At least I have a drowning chamber for next siege.

crundle

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #48037 on: July 31, 2016, 10:44:12 am »

So, Machineworks just became a barony - and right before that another dwarf inherited a barons title from somewhere else. So i now have two barons, and (oddly) a mayor - who is also the baron, so thats ok :)

In other news, cleaning up the battlefield is in progress, and the first of 12 minecart cannons is getting ready for the fist test-shots...
It also seems like i can make offerings to the human caravan (despite never seeing a diplomat), but not to the dwarven one?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48038 on: July 31, 2016, 01:42:58 pm »

so I got the weresheeps dead and my military causalitys were caused by some of the military attacking each other for no apparent reason... good job guys

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48039 on: July 31, 2016, 02:33:15 pm »

@MehMuffin: thats awesome and demands !!SCIENCE!! - now where do i get an undead skull...

Most of the skeletons were actually leftovers from my first embark attempt, which had a lot of fun with zombie giant eagles in the first ten minutes. But did end up leaving me all of its coal and embark supplies, so I'm not complaining. Every five minutes or so I get a million job cancellations when something reanimates from somewhere in my fort, at this point I'm not even sure where all the body parts are coming from.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48040 on: July 31, 2016, 03:38:28 pm »

So, after discovering I can't use details to specify raw adamantine spears, I'm using ye olde method of linking stockpiles to a craftskobold workshop. :V

At last, my spearkobolds can suck a little less.

EDIT: Motherfucking troglodytes again. Horde of them catching us while I was sending more kobolds down to get adamantine. Already lost another initiate, along with a woodcrafter that was trying to recover a wounded miner. The dearth of stone arrows due to a bout of archery practice seems to have helped the trogs survive the latest reprisal.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 04:07:33 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48041 on: July 31, 2016, 04:05:45 pm »

Apparently I have implemented a near-perfect werecreature capture system, because Mansionvipers now has three weres in captivity.  I mean, I knew it would work, but I didn't know it would work this well.  We now have a weretortoise, a wererat (not the same one that savaged my dogs some years back, which means there is at least one more out there) and a weresquirrel.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #48042 on: July 31, 2016, 04:08:23 pm »

So, after discovering I can't use details to specify raw adamantine spears, I'm using ye olde method of linking stockpiles to a craftskobold workshop. :V

At last, my spearkobolds can suck a little less.
Huh, raw adamantine actually is good for making spears. Here I was doubting you.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48043 on: July 31, 2016, 04:16:42 pm »

Huh, raw adamantine actually is good for making spears. Here I was doubting you.

It has damn near the same properties as metallic adamantine, but it's useless without modding its max_edge to count as sharp. And if you make more than just short swords available in stone. And if you add a reaction for stone arrows...

So, the latest purge of troglodytes has led to two dead, three wounded. Still in the middle of rearming the spearkobolds and resupplying the archers. I've still yet to get any fucking invaders, but these damn troglodytes are giving this camp more Fun than I've had in ages!

EDIT: Giant bat just ate a peasant-turned-initate, only to get a few got hits from a woodcutter with a wooden battle axe. Who then stopped in mid-fight to clean herself, only to go running away on remembering about the pissed-off giant bat she was whaling on earlier.

EDIT 2: ...the giant bat stole a sheep hoof braclet earlier, and dropped it after a good arrow to the spine.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 04:35:44 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48044 on: July 31, 2016, 06:31:31 pm »

Fourteen lives have been lost since the breach of the caverns. I think the crocodile corpses have removed a lot of dwarfs from their limbs and now those dwarfs, their limbs, and the crocodiles are all coming up the stairs as zombies together to kill everyone else. I think?

EDIT: I DON'T KNOW HOW IT HAPPENED, BUT SOME FUCKER KILLED THE GIANT MONARCH BUTTERFLY I'D BEEN SAVING. THIS ISN'T DIFFICULT GUYS. I JUST WANTED A FUCKING BUTTERFLY.

EDIT2: it appears that all the zombies are from the three nonexistant ambushes I saw on embark--there are a shitton of antman corpses down here.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 06:42:04 pm by MehMuffin »
Pages: 1 ... 3201 3202 [3203] 3204 3205 ... 3836