Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3204 3205 [3206] 3207 3208 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5836674 times)

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48075 on: August 05, 2016, 08:44:12 pm »

Mansionvipers has captured its fourth werecritter, a werebull.  All of these critters are human in their non-were time, which makes me wonder what the human civ has been up to.

Giant flies produce ... a lot of meat.  A lot.  I'm exterminating the swarm; breeding and adult-at-birth baby flies have turned 5 flies into more than 7000 units of meat in less than three years, despite my having to slaughter all of the adults every year to harvest the meat.  By the time more meat is needed, we'll have giant olms and other high-value animals.  The flies are eating fps that could be better used for other things and they have to go.

We've opened the first cavern layer because I need a GCS like whoa, and have sealed it off with walls and prepped it for wildlife collection, but I need to deal with the flies first.

Ubrael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48076 on: August 05, 2016, 11:05:54 pm »

Well, you stick hammer can into a weapon trap, but no architecture bonus there. Still, with 2 pieces of adamantine it should at least make an overlapping royal room.

True. This didn't even cross my mind.

I've heard people talk about catsplosions, but I've never had any issues with them myself, as I've always kept cat numbers in check.
Tried taming a few crundles recently, and gave them a few nest boxes.  The results were a rather obvious crundlesplosion after keeping them around for almost a year.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And the list goes on. My fortress is now flooded by crundles.

11 years and I've yet to have a single baby pop out of the ground. Even gave my dwarves a year and a half off to socialize with eachother.

grendelfreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48077 on: August 06, 2016, 12:44:23 am »

Playing a multigenerational fort sealed from the world with all dwarves descended from the original seven. 50 years in and I have used a dfhack script called nb_family_affairs that allows you to 'force marry' anyone to anyone as long as they are of the opposite sex. I did it with the original seven and again with their children, but I didn't realize the script didn't take into account how related the dwarves were and thus I now have at least five children running around whose parents are siblings...

TL;DR: my fort right now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myhnAZFR1po

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48078 on: August 06, 2016, 05:41:09 am »

I finished the massive temple thing and thought if I'm going to make something this big I might as well make it serve a purpose, so I made it into a massive burial chamber. Since I was going to make it be a burial chamber I wanted an area for a few tombs for my more important dwarves, so I set my dwarves to work to make eight tower-like rooms around the main chamber, it took forever and it was a bit of a pain, but in the end it was finished with only two deaths.

Haven't had any invaders yet, only a few kobold thieves and a goblin baby snatcher, there was a Minotaur but the captain of the guard killed it quickly.
But I'll get to deal with attackers soon enough, I got an elvish diplomat telling me to not cut down so many trees, so I had him beheaded, then when the elvish caravan came I had them killed to, I'll probably do that with the humans as well, hopefully they are some kind of threat and not completely harmless. I'll just have to wait and see.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

LordKnows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48079 on: August 06, 2016, 06:10:22 am »

Fought and killed a werebeast for the first time as opposed to just letting them wander around outside untill they detransform. Took some injuries.

Now later, I had 5 people transform into Werepanthers at the same time.

Guess I should have expected that.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #48080 on: August 06, 2016, 07:36:02 am »

Project Superbowl II is becoming so huge that it can no longer fit into Armok Vision without parts of it disappearing in the distance.  ;_;

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48081 on: August 06, 2016, 08:11:11 am »

year has passed since my attacks on the humans and the elves, they don't seem to upset yet, the law-giver did come with two soldiers for protection though.. I did have a bit of weirdness happen, I killed the human law giver and one of my human citizens became the new law-giver. Whether or not anything will come of this I don't know, I doubt it unfortunately for the human caravan that came to the fort while the law-giver was being killed they did not see it, they were all slaughtered upon entering the trade depot.

I'd love to attack the dwarven caravans to try to get the dwarves to attack me as well but, loyalty cascades, not worth it, maybe when I want the fort to die but not yet.
Still pretty tempted though.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 08:46:21 am by nomoetoe »
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48082 on: August 06, 2016, 10:15:17 am »

Welp one of my dwarves became duchess of some random place, I'd arrange an "accident" for her but her name is Mosus RaptorFlag....

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48083 on: August 06, 2016, 11:10:51 am »

With the fort's skill at training giant flying squirrels at Expert, I'm eliminating this species as well.  All the flies are down, but the squirrels are taking longer because they generate more food hauling trips despite providing less food, and also a skin, which I do want to tan.  I've been using DT to slaughter the fertile females, then the other females, and now I'm down to only male animals.  I can take more time now without worrying about a sudden eruption of more squirrels, but I still have a lot of squirrels to go through.

We've captured a couple of giant grizzly bears now, including a female that DT tells me should be fertile.  Fingers crossed!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48084 on: August 06, 2016, 12:32:52 pm »

year has passed since my attacks on the humans and the elves, they don't seem to upset yet, the law-giver did come with two soldiers for protection though.. I did have a bit of weirdness happen, I killed the human law giver and one of my human citizens became the new law-giver. Whether or not anything will come of this I don't know, I doubt it unfortunately for the human caravan that came to the fort while the law-giver was being killed they did not see it, they were all slaughtered upon entering the trade depot.

I'd love to attack the dwarven caravans to try to get the dwarves to attack me as well but, loyalty cascades, not worth it, maybe when I want the fort to die but not yet.
Still pretty tempted though.

The real question is whether or not you can slowly kill off every human noble until all positions are held by members of your fort, thereby making you the potential seat of two empires.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48085 on: August 06, 2016, 03:15:45 pm »

so after three years of constantly shying away from the upside world due to undead invasions i decided no more: my military will put an end to this tyranny!

and yeah now my military is dead...

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48086 on: August 06, 2016, 03:40:08 pm »

just got attacked by a goblin siege, there was easily over one hundred goblins, only one of my soldiers survived, he went insane, just barely had enough to stop them, sadly the captain of the guard perished in the battle, took quite a few down with her though I think her attack was just enough to send most of the remaining goblins running. Thirty casualties, Army dead, not the best situation but everyone here seems unfazed by the dozens of corpses lying about so they should be fine, when they went outside to collect the various corpses and junk the only thing they were bothered by was the sun. So, they rebuild they train new troops, they move on. I'll probably avoid antagonizing the humans and elves for now.

Before the arrival of the goblin siege there was an ettin, instead of killing it I had it captured, I decided to put its cage in the tomb of the former captain of the guard, it can watch over her for the rest of eternity.

edit: My new and larger army is quickly gaining skill, I also acquired an elephant from the elves, I forget, did the unable to eat faster then they got hungry bug for elephants get fixed or is it doomed to starve? Either way having a war elephant will be useful.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 04:46:32 pm by nomoetoe »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48087 on: August 06, 2016, 05:48:45 pm »

Fixed, but it's still a large animal.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #48088 on: August 06, 2016, 08:03:08 pm »

Fort got attacked by a weregecko. Finally. This is the first sign of hostilities I've seen in this fort. (Aside from the occasional cavern wildlife trying to get in the fort and being intercepted by military dwarves patrolling). 3 years without any fun but a werebeast. Kinda dull.

Unfortunately, one of the founding dwarves, the (now legendary) carpenter, was near the weregecko when it revealed itself. The militia couldn't reach the weregecko before the beast strangled the poor carpenter to death. The weregecko was pleased at improving its wrestling skill. An axedwarf and a speardwarf arrived on the scene and cut the weregecko to pieces without any more casualties.

I'm making a statue of the carpenter striking down an oak tree to put in his tomb. He will be remembered.

Shortly after that incident, a weaver who was collecting webs in the caverns tried to get into a fist fight with a giant toad. A speardwarf was on patrol nearby.The toad got a lucky bite on the weaver's throat and reduced it to mush, and the weaver bled out shortly before the speardwarf showed up to drive a spear through the giant toad's brain. Shame about the weaver, I have some high skilled weavers making some high quality cloth. Oh well, he can be replaced.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48089 on: August 07, 2016, 08:52:08 am »

A few years have passed and the fort is now twelve years old, the goblins still send rather large sieges, fortunately, I haven't had a severe amount of casualties since then, I've still lost a few inexperienced troops, and a experienced one that got overwhelmed, but the fort survives, the real pain is the aftermath when everything has to be cleaned up. The war elephant was lost in a goblin siege but I was able to replace it with a giant tiger, and recently a giant badger. While I rarely ever want anything from the elves, I will admit I do love getting giant animals to use in combat.
Pages: 1 ... 3204 3205 [3206] 3207 3208 ... 3836