Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3205 3206 [3207] 3208 3209 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5841034 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48090 on: August 07, 2016, 09:12:56 am »

try to get two and breed them and get giant animal army

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48091 on: August 07, 2016, 02:03:45 pm »

Started DF again after a long'ish break.

Designed a fortress with fabulous library, dining hall, tavern, massively decorative workshop area in spherical form, full with central tower surrounded by chasm, over the course of of two hours.

Then, DF crashed. I had autosave yearly, so nothing was saved.

Ragequit.
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48092 on: August 07, 2016, 07:21:29 pm »

Mansionvipers just killed its second forgotten beast, a one-eyed darkling beetle with noxious secretions.  Said noxious secretions were just going everywhere even when it was just chillaxing in the cavern, like the thing was incontinent or something, but they turned out to be no big deal.  Three of my dwarves were absolutely covered in the secretions, and nothing happened.  The beetle yielded more than 400 total units of meat, which wasn't ideal given that we already have 9000 from culling the useless animals, but it is what it is.  There was no way I wasn't going to have it butchered and eaten, after all.

Those werecritters are a fantastic were-danger clock.  When they transform I get a series of messages, which tells me when it is and is not possible for my dwarves to be ambushed by a were outside the wall.  All my civilians are totally cave-adapted now, and timing activity when weres aren't going to attack them is easy with the automatic clock in my message line.

carnivorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48093 on: August 07, 2016, 07:46:04 pm »

My main fort right now is in two savage biomes, but mostly peaceful (two goblin ambushes in 6 years, neither more than twelve enemies) and very profitable, with three legendary cooks and a legendary fisherdwarf feeding both ourselves and the homeland, but.... low on fuel. I'm attempting to reach magma without killing my poor laptop in the process, and I'm guarding a wide open staircase in the caverns with a squad of farmers / pest control (bone bolts, a shooting range, and a lot of giant storks make great archers). Everything in my fort is very structured and orderly.

I had to take a break from that fort after realizing my carefully manufactured huge muddy rooms are in the wrong place and i have to rebuild them not-under-the-ocean or they, seemingly, won't grow any moss. Oh joy of joys.  ::)

For a change of pace I genned a new world. Immediately noticed a huge line of evil biome alongside good, thought, hey, why not some chaos instead? Spent my points very wisely, I thought, had some left over, took extra building supplies. Turns out I forgot to bring picks or an axe. So right now I'm building a shelter out of those "bonus" building materials and praying for migrants... or at least something better than "interrupted by capybara corpse" on repeat for eternity.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48094 on: August 07, 2016, 07:50:58 pm »

So, where was I...oh yeah. Exploiting glorious raw adamatine for my kobolds to exploit. Maybe I'll dump a fuckton of raw adamantine crafts on the caravan, simply because the only PRACTICAL stuff I can use it for would be spears and arrows.

On second thought, being up to my eyeballs in knapped blue arrows of pointy doom sounds neat. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #48095 on: August 07, 2016, 11:57:00 pm »

Got a couple of sieges. The first consisted of 10 goblins. 9 were slain, one escaped. This was in the middle of winter.

The second came almost a year later, in early autumn when the dwarf caravan was supposed to arrive. The sieging force consisted of a total of 41 goblins. I hadn't established any additional lines of defense except for the military, which was 5 crossbowdwarves and a squad of axedwarves, hammerdwarves, and speardarves, with 5 dwarves to each squad. All were equipped in full iron except the archers. All militia dwarves were highly trained at this point. 20 dwarves (15 really, since it was the melee dwarves who had to get up close) vs 41 goblins. Practically outnumbered almost 3 to 1. The goblins fought to the last man, with the last goblin clinging to a tree over the stream and firing arrows until a hammerdwarf knocked him into the stream to drown. The fight raged for 3 whole days. By the end, every dwarf was tired or exhausted.

The road to the fortress of Metalhowl is now bathed in blood and severed limbs and bits of teeth. No casualties for the dwarves, although a few lost teeth, and one unlucky axedwarf got his middle finger shot off by an arrow.

Really good siege. Good to see my militia can take on big fights after the exhaustion mechanics were added. I was afraid they'd get overrun with goblins and I'd lose the fort. Kept me on the edge of my seat.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48096 on: August 08, 2016, 01:59:45 am »

After being worn down by two goblin sieges, and with the dwarven caravan having being scared away at the sight of disembered goblins, i am now left with little food for a very large fortress, and i won't be able to get more for another year, since i am at war with the humans and the elves.

Looks set to be fun times.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48097 on: August 08, 2016, 06:29:54 am »

Started DF again after a long'ish break.

Designed a fortress with fabulous library, dining hall, tavern, massively decorative workshop area in spherical form, full with central tower surrounded by chasm, over the course of of two hours.

Then, DF crashed. I had autosave yearly, so nothing was saved.

Ragequit.
i got seasonal autosave, but you can lose a lot of progress within even a week. i asked for weekly or monthly autosave options and they don't seem to appreciate it.

my last fort was destroyed by trhe first werebeast, because my defenses weren't up afterthe first elven caravan came and a migrant wave came almost exactly at the same moment when the beast entered.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48098 on: August 08, 2016, 07:51:02 am »

Various things happened, more minor casualties, the giant war tiger died from an infection and overall things got boring, wasn't anything really left to do other then fight goblins again and again perhaps other races if I wanted, but nah. I retire moondance. A new fort shall arise thus begins The Icy Mountain!

The Icy Mountain is located on the edge of a terrifying mountain on the northern edge of the world, it snows goblin blood here I find this amusing, there are far less trees then the old fort which is probably a good thing in the long run.
It seems I have gotten various dwarves from moondance, one of which went insane upon entering the map, and one dwarf is actually an expert swordsdwarf! This will be most helpful, unfortunately, there is no metal on this map, so I had to dig up some adamantine instead, I have no intention of digging up a bunch of it, I'd hate to lose a fort this early so I only dug up enough to make a few swords. Hopefully I can import some or at least survive a goblin siege and get some metal from that, either way, doesn't matter much to me.cit seems there a few legendary swordsdwarves from moondance as well.

edit: I successfully made a obsidian generator for the first time, I tried once before long ago but it didn't end well, but yes finally I did it, it was easy enough for me to be disappointed in myself for not doing it sooner, maybe I'll try learning minecarts next, probably wont end well but I've got to try.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 12:00:53 pm by nomoetoe »
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #48099 on: August 08, 2016, 03:16:03 pm »

So one of the kids in my fort came of age about a year before that siege. I figured I'd set her to work forging ammunition and bucklers in the magma forges to train her into a smith in case something ever happened to my founding weapon/armor smith.

She had a fey mood.

Spoiler: The Robust Cudgel (click to show/hide)

The fort of Metalhowl was 4 years old at this point, and had accumulated 3 million Urists of wealth by then. The Robust Cudgel alone is worth as much as approximately 2/3 of the whole fortress and increased the total wealth by ~66% to over 5.5 million Urists.

This is gonna be a pretty good (hopefully kickass) weapon for one of my axelords. Unfortunately because it's a two-hander they won't be able to use a shield or else suffer penalties. But the axe ought to make up for a lack of defense in terms of sheer offense.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48100 on: August 08, 2016, 05:12:26 pm »

So I had this idea to collapse a surface layer +1 down to 4z down.  Basically 
I have a save before the collapse.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pull the lever and resulted in:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I reloaded to check if cutting down trees would yield preferable results on undamaged surface.
Yup, open spaces and
z-5 surface floor, no trees
z-6 red sand
z-7 gabbro stones no dig

In both cases, the gabbro stones on the floors of z-3 down to z-6 did not seem to disappear or obliterate as I expected.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48101 on: August 08, 2016, 06:05:50 pm »

I had most of the fort working on slightly expanding the above ground section of fortress to we could fit more rooms and a few others draining pools so we could use sunken timber for the aforementioned expansion. Suddenly a cyclops arrived. I ordered the populace to internal burrows and rallied the militia in the courtyard. They were still rallying when the cyclops reached the dog corridor so I gave the order to attack even though not everyone was ready. I needn't have worried. Between the Queen, the Duke, and a commoner hammerlord they had things under control. The final blow was struck by the commoner; a hammer blow that jammed skull through brain. Our only casualties were 3 slain war dogs chained in the corridor and 2 other dogs who sustained injuries. Slightly disappointing for the first visitor besides the autumn caravan in the 8 years we've been here.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #48102 on: August 08, 2016, 09:18:16 pm »

So after getting a legendary weaponsmith out of that fey mood I went and forged some adamantine spears and axes for my military. The fortress wealth has skyrocketed another 3 million from those 14 adamantine weapons. Another two million was produced by forging at least a hundred high quality iron menacing spikes for a goblin grinder. Fort wealth now at over 10 million. I think Metalhowl has been my most successfully productive fortress yet. The new manager and streamlined work orders are great.

Saw a masterwork adamantine battle axe in action as a wild troll wandered too close to the entrance to the fort from the caverns. An axelord was on patrol at the time. Took him seven swings to slay that troll with his masterwork adamantine battle axe. Two of those swings cut the troll's heart and spilled its guts, one swing knocked some teeth out, and four of those swings cut various limbs off the troll, including the head.

Can't wait for the next goblin siege.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48103 on: August 09, 2016, 12:22:41 pm »

I've generated a world with over 1500 semi/megabeasts. There were only ten civs to start with and they're all dead for over 1000 years. He only civilized person left in the world is a carp man resurrectionist in a forest retreat. One other learned the secrets of fire but was promptly killed by a zombie ogre. That was back in 39 iirc.

I'm going to start a fort and see where it takes me.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48104 on: August 09, 2016, 01:34:21 pm »

Currently trying to capture vermin cave spiders to get silk easier and trying to figure out why some of my dwarves are so stressed and some are tatruming/going oblivious, it seems to be just haulers with the exception of just one of my military dwarves for some odd reason
Pages: 1 ... 3205 3206 [3207] 3208 3209 ... 3836