Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3206 3207 [3208] 3209 3210 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5857250 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48105 on: August 09, 2016, 02:14:12 pm »

Currently trying to capture vermin cave spiders to get silk easier and trying to figure out why some of my dwarves are so stressed and some are tatruming/going oblivious, it seems to be just haulers with the exception of just one of my military dwarves for some odd reason
corpse/refuse hauling. It's like they're seeing them die all over again, every time they see the dead body, for each dead body, for each trip hauling the dead.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48106 on: August 09, 2016, 02:48:26 pm »

Currently trying to capture vermin cave spiders to get silk easier and trying to figure out why some of my dwarves are so stressed and some are tatruming/going oblivious, it seems to be just haulers with the exception of just one of my military dwarves for some odd reason
corpse/refuse hauling. It's like they're seeing them die all over again, every time they see the dead body, for each dead body, for each trip hauling the dead.
that's my current thought, although it's odd how only one military dwarf is affected since it's training with it's squad constantly

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48107 on: August 09, 2016, 04:22:41 pm »

You also have to make sure they're getting out to do other stuff. Your haulers and soldiers need a craft they can practice, stone crafting or masonry, whatever. Also make sure they get a chance to spend time in the tavern, library, and temple.

Dwarves aren't going to be content hauling shit around/sparring and seeing a pretty door occasionally anymore. Although dwarves do appreciate craftsdwarfship and artwork.

My own fort is proceeding apace. Haven't had any of the dwarves become the king or anything. I know there shouldn't be any historical figures anywhere in the population. First wave of migrants just arrived.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48108 on: August 09, 2016, 05:40:11 pm »

A giant tortoise literally saved my fortress. A wereass entered the map, but it stopped to fight the tortoise. The tortoise retracted into it's shell and the wereass spent several days hitting him, unble to do anything, until he turned back to norml and left.

Now I'm going to capture myself some tortoises and use them as guard animals.
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #48109 on: August 09, 2016, 06:00:59 pm »

Metalhowls got attacked by a roc. Lost two military dwarves. The roc literally swooped down from the sky, about 5 zlevels up, snatched at one axedwarf in the head with its first toe on the right foot and the force of the blow knocked her unconscious, twisted her neck, and drove her upper spine into her body, leaving an unrecognizeable mass. She actually survived the hit, but blood was spraying from her neck. The roc also snatched at another axedwarf's left cheek, again with its first toe on the right foot, and the force of the blow twisted his neck and split his skull into gore, killing him instantly.

Once the hammerdwarves and speardwarves arrived on the scene and the roc was mobbed by ~18 skilled military dwarves the fight turned to the dwarves' favor. The roc was slain by a speardwarf stabbing into its brain with an exceptional adamantine spear.

The injured axedwarf, with her crushed spine and neck, managed to regain consciousness and began to return to the fortress. As she stepped over the threshold and into the fortress keep, following behind her squadmates, she dropped dead. Guess she ran out of breath, or blood. She was the dwarf I had assigned the artifact great axe to. Didn't even get an opportunity to use it. Looks like another axedwarf gets the honors.

Man, that is some brutal imagery. A gigantic bird swooping down from the sky and practically landing on you, crushing your head and neck into your body with its feet. No chance to fight back, just squished.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48110 on: August 09, 2016, 06:03:02 pm »

Several years passed, no sieges so far, I've captured several giant wolverines over the years and have been trying to tame them, it's definitely going to take awhile. After I got the obsidian generator to make a bunch of obsidian, all things stone are made of obsidian, making obsidian mugs is also highly profitable. At some point the fortress became a duchy which is nice, both the duchess and her consort are members of the military, the duchess also had a daughter so she has an heir in case she dies.

Finally got everyone in the military a full suit of armor, its all copper expect for the captain of the guard who as a full set of adamantine armor. A ettin came to the fort and was captured and was given to the duchess as a gift to be put on display in one of her rooms.

It seems the elves aren't overly fond of my tree cutting and they told me to cut down no more then one hundred trees per year, this is fairly reasonable and there aren't even close to one hundred trees on the map, I am however bored so I declined there demands. Also what is with the elves anyway, calling the dwarves stunted, making a joke about how we don't see eye to eye, were the same size!
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48111 on: August 09, 2016, 06:36:01 pm »

After much procrastination, Mansionvipers finally set up the first cavern layer for wildlife collection and trapped a couple of GCS.  One of them is currently furiously webbing one of the ettins.

I'm debating when/if to breed the cave crocs we caught in the process of capturing the GCS.  Currently leaning toward "maybe later."

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48112 on: August 09, 2016, 06:39:31 pm »

Siege! Well it was a big let down really... Dwarf merchants showed up and two seconds later to their left... Goblin army appeared... Wagons ran away, goblins nailed the guards though but took a beating for it. So, now I am saddled with another year of useless junk I wanted to sell for steel anvils to melt down and oh well... Goblins are carrying SOME iron on them so not a total loss. You would imagine the traders would notice a goblin army marching beside them heading to Inkedjoys... Oh and my dwarves have been adding peppers to everything, they love their peppers in this fortress, they are cranking out "bread" made of flour, peppers and strawberries... Yum. Now if only the cooks could convince them to actually EAT the stuff.

MinerMan60101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48113 on: August 09, 2016, 07:16:51 pm »

This is my first time posting on this thread, so here it goes.
I have a low population cap fortress running, nearing the end of the third year at 30-50 fps. 5 adamantine veins out of the 6 possible with the embark, two extend into the third cavern, but don't go far. Had the first forgotten beast show up in the second cavern, a purple/pink M, leaving many corpses there.
While revealing more of the cavern, my ONLY carpenter decided to jump down and take a drink. He died and has an orthoclase slab above his carpenter's workshop. The legendary bowyer now takes his place. He made many spiked wooden balls in his day.
I also discovered a dead FB in the second cavern, a purple/pink S. I guess the other one couldn't handle him taking his color.

Both legendary miners have produced artifacts, which are in their bedrooms; a bed and armor stand.

There have been 2 weres that strolled in the most i have ever gotten with one fort. No dwarven casualties thanks to a civilian alert and a lockdown bridge

(i dont have an imgur account so i don't think I can post pictures)
Keas are the Cliff Racers of Dwarf Fortress, both flying nuisances interrupting you whilst playing a game which you wish would become extinct.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48114 on: August 09, 2016, 09:04:14 pm »

There have been 2 weres that strolled in the most i have ever gotten with one fort. No dwarven casualties thanks to a civilian alert and a lockdown bridge

I've gotten at least 10...

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48115 on: August 09, 2016, 09:45:42 pm »

The pools have all been drained, dredged, and mostly refilled. The scholars are being scholarly, almost always pondering and discussing this thing or that although so far only 4 books have been written: 3 concerning the arrival of their authors and one concerning the fort itself.

Oh, and a Minotaur stopped by. A few members of the militia destroyed its feet until it passed out from pain and then the duke stabbed it in the head with his spear. 2 visitors in 2 years, things are picking up.

From my explorations in an adventure mode scum I made last season I know we are the only remaining vestige of non-goblin civilization. I also know that there is supposedly a goblin army on the way but I haven't seen it yet. Actually from what I learned in adventure mode we should be under constant assault given our proximity to the goblins.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #48116 on: August 09, 2016, 10:18:18 pm »

Nah, you can use imgur to host pictures without an account. You probably couldn't keep very good track of the pictures you've already uploaded without an account, I guess, but if you just plan to post a sreenshot once and be done with it, you could use imgur for that. It's what I do.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48117 on: August 10, 2016, 12:24:42 pm »

So, I dared to gaze into the abyss in Kobold Kamp. Went with the safe way, carved a fortification into what I guessed was the Fun vein.

Now I need to figure out how to build a way to build something Fun for them.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48118 on: August 10, 2016, 01:07:29 pm »

Years pass, a few dwarves get beaten to death when some mandates go unfulfilled and one survived with some bad injuries. A few giant wolverine kits were born and they were successfully tamed finally, some tamed giant wolverines, sadly they cannot be tamed for war, but I have other ideas for them. I also got tired of dealing dealing with the mayor and 'accidentally' got her stuck in the obsidian generator and she melted.

The elves seemed to be upset not to send a caravan or diplomat, I'm assuming were going to be fighting soonish but I don't know.

The elves and the humans have been at war for over 14 years now, and from what I was able to tell by looking at legendsviewer I think the humans are winning.

edit: literally seconds after posting this I looked at the civillizations and yes, can confirm dwarves are at war with the elves.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

MinerMan60101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48119 on: August 10, 2016, 01:47:51 pm »

My former manager fell into the cavern too, died close to the carpenter. Uzbad Elustuzang the forgotten beast is responsible for ~90% of the dead/missing list and that cavern is filled with corpses, including two GCS's. The cavern has a very long downward passage, so it would be interesting to see it migrate to the third cavern. I revealed most of the second cavern, so i can watch the beast's rampage continue. (at the expense of two out of thirty dwarves)
Keas are the Cliff Racers of Dwarf Fortress, both flying nuisances interrupting you whilst playing a game which you wish would become extinct.
Pages: 1 ... 3206 3207 [3208] 3209 3210 ... 3836