Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3222 3223 [3224] 3225 3226 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5863222 times)

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48345 on: September 03, 2016, 06:17:27 pm »

Vaultvoices, after a series of encounters with uninvited guests, has been retired for the time being. I was consecutively faced with a Forgotten Beast that spat fireballs, a Goblin Siege and a Bronse Colossus. I also got a werebeast attack right before I retired in which my Militia Commander bested in 1v1 combat without taking a scratch.

Through this my military of 40 dwarfs + Mercenaries has been reduced to half that along with the loss of both my Legendary Weapon/Armorsmiths. On the plus side I have a full squad of Master Swordsdwarfs in masterwork copper armor with masterwork Copper Short Swords.

I'm currently deciding on what to do for my next for. I'm thinking a desert embark and making a fortress entirely out of glass once I find magma.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48346 on: September 03, 2016, 08:13:17 pm »

Although briefly interrupted by a goblin siege, construction of the fishing hut went pretty smoothly.

Here it is, with my new fisherdwarf starting to learn his trade.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

z-1

Although it is completely closed off, the fact that it is a "river" tile means that doesn't matter a bit.  Fish are coming out without a problem.

The new dam:

I feel like I've crossed a milestone.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48347 on: September 04, 2016, 02:22:30 am »

Built my incredibly heroic Broker/Bookkeeper/Manager a mansion like the Mayor has.
Also finally installed our first and only stone building, "The Awe Inspiring Convent".
Multi faith temple on ground floor, crypts beneath, and a hospital upstairs. Three Keas, one stone.

Speaking of seriously considering editing them out of existence. The rhesus macaque plague at least had the decency to stand on the ground.
The Kea swarms are endless and I still haven't figured out how they're getting inside to steal my roasts.  ???
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48348 on: September 04, 2016, 04:02:23 am »

Added a weaving hut and a well to the village. Someone died in the well's construction, dropping the fortress's population to 16.

I also built a few bridges. My village is now only drawbridge-accessible, while caravans can move across the river with the bridges I built, even when the drawbridges are retracted.

I also traded with the caravan for the first time, and it went very well. They got prepared meals and the dead dwarves' clothes, I got sheep, a turkey hen, wood and another pick. Hopefully I'll be able to recover another once the river freezes.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48349 on: September 04, 2016, 04:05:02 am »

My dwarven world lies dormant as it crashes too often to actually play and other games currently distract me more.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

BruceyBoyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48350 on: September 04, 2016, 04:46:22 pm »

My fortress is currently spamming pots to hopefully store some booze in before my cook fills them with prepared mountain goat brain biscuits. While my dwarves walk to the brook to drink, and simultaneously become annoyed that they're drinking water without a well, and disgusted that they are forced to drink vomit (apparently, they can only drink vomit at a brook, and prefer it to both water and the available booze. However, I know from past incidents that vomit doesn't actually reduce dehydration...)

Fortunately, goblins don't seem to be interested in a mere 100,000 created wealth, and the only forgotten beast was kind enough to show up before I actually created access from the caverns and is busy doing some population control on cave crocodiles and giant olms.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #48351 on: September 04, 2016, 05:34:01 pm »

Remember to always spam pots.

Actually, if you don't wanna do that, you can always suspend the cooking job from all the kitchens. Check the z-menu and in the bottom-left corner there should be a list of foods and amounts. If the "Other" amount is too high, then you should probably stop cooking. Especially if Drinks are at very low levels.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48352 on: September 04, 2016, 05:39:06 pm »

You can also use no pots in solid food only stockpiles as well as reserving some pots as well as setting up manager/workflow to always keep 20 pots in stock.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48353 on: September 04, 2016, 06:31:46 pm »

Liaison showed up with terrible news: AncientSabres was conquered, only two years into a new fort and the new capital I painstakingly built for the dying civilization fell despite all its defenses. By Armoks bloody beard, the trouble I put in making that place and they already lost it! Well, this new place (mining outpost) might survive, going back to older designs and mixing the old with the new: if the gobbies thought the "new and improved" forts were aweful to take despite Armok almighty numbers and full iron armor (they are a VERY well armed civilization of gobs!) this new place will bring them visages of WW1 trench warfare when I am finished. This is going to be a one sided Verdun if I get the land set up right.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48354 on: September 04, 2016, 06:43:54 pm »

Currently the game doesn't simulate fighting in sites when armies march on them, invader always wins. So your fort just didn't put up a fight.

My werewolf a creating chamber is almost complete. Soon there will be bloodshed.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #48355 on: September 04, 2016, 08:34:08 pm »

your fort just didn't put up a fight.

Oh, dwarves. They really are useless without us players to tell them to do everything so they don't die guide them.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #48356 on: September 04, 2016, 08:56:51 pm »

I just started a new fort in the 64bit DF. Akirmorul.

It's almost a perfect site; my bottomless pit of despair reached past the caverns and all the way to the magma sea without breaching the caverns, I have an organized work force despite not having Therapist (just took two hours going through the unit list painstakingly). Iron is in abundance under the desert sands, and I have Limestone... Steel production is a tree farm away. Glass (even clear glass) is not only possible, I've already set up the class furnaces down at the magma shops. The desert, surprisingly, has an aquifer beneath it, so water is in abundance as well. Even if that wasn't enough, the caverns are flooded as well (I run only one cavern layer for fps reasons, and I prefer them wide open because I like the looks). 

Then I start getting migrant waves. The first wave was 2 adults with their 5 children. Next? 4 children. Next? 18 children. Next? 23 children. 50 children immigrated in a year. Nearly half my fortress' population. Unfortunately, the pit of despair is for elvesrapid pathing to the lowest reaches for the nobles. It's not designed to accommodate mass removal of citizens.   

At least I have yemeni Wanalalolama, the craftsdwarf.

*Edit* Well that solves the problem of too many children. A goblin force arrived, and I ordered the gate shut. It was never connected to the lever. Cue 7 goblins gaining access to a mostly child-filled barracks. Lost 22 Dwarves, 14 of them children.

*Edit 2* Looks like they only had two military dwarves, and a miner and a doctor to contend with until I realized they were inside. Then they had the inferno of rage that is Zas, my commander. She practiced vivisection via axe on several goblins. She would have had more kills, but a macedwarf exploded the head of one, and a sworddwarf gutted the other. But for the most part, one dwarf dealt with the entire group. Then she went to pick plants out of the farm.   

*Edit 3*
On a sad note, I found out that my 2nd squad's captain was married with and had 5 children with (they apparently were the ones from the first wave) one of the members of his squad. She was also badly wounded, and my chief medical dwarf was one of the dead civilians. So her prognosis is grim. All 5 of their children also died in the fight.

*Edit 4* And I'm back to having a large percentage of underage dwarves in my fortress. A migrant wave pushed me to 66 children, 143 total, despite my pop cap being set at 120. At least I rebuilt my military, then strengthened it, and have a medical corps again, even if they're completely untrained.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 12:14:10 am by azrael4h »

Haymaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48357 on: September 05, 2016, 04:05:55 am »

Earthenwheels now has a functioning treefarm. Shaped like an upside down T. The horizontal line being 40 urists wide and 60 urisits tall with the "hammer" part being some 50 wide and 70 tall. The depth is whopping 10 which maybe be bit of overkill.

Once again all thanks to Overseer's impatient cavein plans that enforced the legendary miners to take base jumping activities without proper equipment has slowed down the expansion work quite alot. You don't appreciate those legendary diggers untill they are lost and you have bunch of weak novices taking aeons to mine simple rock.

Cynicalsob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48358 on: September 05, 2016, 01:15:43 pm »

Elephantman vampire that i locked up in the caverns
http://imgur.com/hR0CBBx

Has been fighting a FB for 4 days
http://imgur.com/a/mZQhA

Skin peeled off heart missing brain missing! how does that happen? :o
According to the combat logs neither of them has done any damage to eachother.

And while typing this another FB came
http://imgur.com/a/GTvkn

-Edit- Apparrently i cant imgur.
-Edit2- Fixed img links.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 01:42:49 pm by Cynicalsob »

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48359 on: September 05, 2016, 02:27:44 pm »

Elephantman vampire that i locked up in the caverns
http://imgur.com/hR0CBBx

Has been fighting a FB for 4 days
http://imgur.com/a/mZQhA

Skin peeled off heart missing brain missing! how does that happen? :o
According to the combat logs neither of them has done any damage to eachother.

And while typing this another FB came
http://imgur.com/a/GTvkn

-Edit- Apparrently i cant imgur.
-Edit2- Fixed img links.

Seems to me your vampire is fighting a single undead feather: all the signs (horrified after being attacked by the dead, the name on top of the second image) point to it. The feather is too small to be hit, and too weak to deal damage: it's an infamous bug.
Pages: 1 ... 3222 3223 [3224] 3225 3226 ... 3836