Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3224 3225 [3226] 3227 3228 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789396 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48375 on: September 06, 2016, 10:57:12 pm »

@BruceyBoyo:

Of course it is lady consort. She murdered all her fianceés, probably.

Thieves arriving with siege can be fun if your defence consist of forbidden hatch.

Though if it could be anyone I suppose you could get Butterfly Spider Fiend Thief.

@Dunamisdeos: Regarding popcap, there's two settings in data/init/d_init.txt (and visitors are controlled separately):

[POPULATION_CAP:200]
[STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:220]

The first controls migration, the second further controls births.

As you notice, it isn't strict enough to prevent only dwarven births.

The solution is magma.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48376 on: September 07, 2016, 01:55:15 am »

Got attacked by two undead elves led by a elven bowman. Fortunately my makeshift squad of miners and two dwarfs with novice level military skills managed to kill them without any trouble.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48377 on: September 07, 2016, 10:06:21 am »

[POPULATION_CAP:200]
[STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:220]

The first controls migration, the second further controls births.

As you notice, it isn't strict enough to prevent only dwarven births.

The solution is magma.

Or well place gelding blows.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48378 on: September 07, 2016, 02:03:14 pm »

A unicorn and a stray black bear are fighting in the branches of a tree. The unicorn is winning.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48379 on: September 07, 2016, 08:19:29 pm »

And then the vampire who had been plaguing our fort for over a decade died under mysterious circumstances. Her body was discovered in the corpse heap.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48380 on: September 07, 2016, 10:03:53 pm »

Another Giant Coati incursion.  The score stands tied at 2-2.  I shall also recount (briefly, b/c sleepy) a bit of epicness at Isengard this evening.  The aforementioned surviving Miner who also doubled as a backup Mason & Stonecrafter started screaming his fool head off.  After claiming a pair each of cut gems & rough gems, he then grabbed a chunk of tetrahedrite.  Fortunately, this mood was very clear for the remainder; he wanted (screamed about) bones & silk cloth.

My reindeer herd has been fattening up quite nicely, so I picked one to travel to that big North Pole in the sky.  Silk cloth... is a problem.  I changed digging priority to 1, and dug straight down in the hopes of finding a cavern.  I managed to hit Cavern 2 or 3 (unsure, but definitely not the first).  A clothesmaker heads out to grab some webs, and is accosted by a Giant Toad.  After trading blows, and at one point, actually head-butting the thing, the Toad gets a firm hold of the Dwarf's left foot and cracks a few toes.

The combination of pain & exhaustion is enough for him to pass out.  The toad decides he's shown this pesky upstart, and wanders off to do toad things.  Dwarf wakes up, hobbles back to the loom, and churns out a single patch of silk before passing out again.  The Miner wastes no time, and soon produces a tetrahedrite weapon rack, worth 77k and change.  My net wealth up to that point was around 123k.... I have no military, been focusing on building and setting up gear production for the eventual military.

Operation Isengard is suspended until further notice, replaced by Operation 'rush as much basic training as Dwarvenly possible so that I don't die horribly in the near future, b/c some lunatic nearly doubled my Fortress wealth after just 2&1/2 years'.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 10:08:27 pm by Immortal-D »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48381 on: September 08, 2016, 01:02:26 am »

How did you keep your wealth so impressively low? That's less than a first caravan worth of trade!

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48382 on: September 08, 2016, 04:04:28 am »

Stakeapes has repelled its first proper seige. The militia have received an impressive new barracks.

My legendary+5 founding miner has spent so long cranking out masterwork mussel shell crafts he's taken on bone carver as his primary occupation. I've awarded him a recommendation for Baron.

Pinned 40+ counts of old disorderly conduct charges on a single child. To be fair he did commit like 2/3 of them. I also discovered children can't go to prison. That kid is in for one hell of a 13th birthday...
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48383 on: September 08, 2016, 07:36:31 am »

Pinned 40+ counts of old disorderly conduct charges on a single child. To be fair he did commit like 2/3 of them. I also discovered children can't go to prison. That kid is in for one hell of a 13th birthday...
It could be worse, he could be facing the clowns, as happened to many 13 year old recruits in my first fortress.

In my fortress, my resident locked up suspected vampire was set to loose to kill off a lone goblin who had decided to "siege" my fortresses. On the way back she drained my woodcrafter, whose bedroom did not have  a door due to a production oversight. This provided a second reason to build a railway to transport wood from the surface to my furnaces and carpenters. When it was finished, i ordered my vampire to stand in front of a minecart full of logs(though not before she managed to drain a newly arrived hunter who was nodding off in the booze stockpile), she did not survive. This was a rather less noble end for my vampire than i had hoped, but that's life. 

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48384 on: September 08, 2016, 08:19:24 am »

A vile force of darkness has arrived!  Actually it arrived (and was defeated) four separate times until the magic of savescumming finally gave me an unbugged siege that could actually be broken to remove the siege flag when all the goblins were dead.  I'm lucky these sieges come on the 2nd or 3rd day of the season, so that I can use the autosave to fix the annoying bugs.

The hammerdwarves have become my go-to squad for these sieges now, as they generate fewer cleanup jobs.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48385 on: September 08, 2016, 08:49:09 am »

I got an Yak head hair zombie.
Had to reload a save because it couldn't be killed.
 ::)
I guess I will just atom-smash the yaks next time.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48386 on: September 08, 2016, 09:46:59 am »

I suddenly noticed an... interesting creature on the units screen.

Apparently the outpost liason who died last year returned as a ghost, and proceeded to leave the map immediately.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48387 on: September 08, 2016, 09:52:01 am »

Does legends mode mention that?

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48388 on: September 08, 2016, 01:26:39 pm »

Does legends mode mention that?

It just says my civilization lost a diplomat at my site (and suspected my group may be involved), then mentions the same diplomat (who by then had lost her title to a random dwarf) returning from the grave next year. For all I know, she may still be wandering around somewhere: perhaps she went to haunt her husband?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48389 on: September 08, 2016, 06:04:00 pm »

How did you keep your wealth so impressively low? That's less than a first caravan worth of trade!
A couple factors contributed to my siege-stopping low wealth;

1. Digging was restricted to only the most bare-minimum essentials; A rich red sand cave for farming, several all-purpose stockpiles, and a chunk of magma-safe gabbro to build the foundations of my wall.
2. All of the Fortress's furnishings are wood, with the exception of a few pieces for my Manager & Mayor.  Since I can't rely on engraving for an easy room boost, I had to use gem statues and copper furniture to make them stop complaining.

Btw, that weapon rack took my mayor's suite from 'meager' to 'royal' :-\
Pages: 1 ... 3224 3225 [3226] 3227 3228 ... 3835