Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3225 3226 [3227] 3228 3229 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5843819 times)

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48390 on: September 08, 2016, 10:11:36 pm »

I just had the first major siege of my fort. Three squads of roughly 20 goblins, dwarves, and elves each. The problem? DF crashes repeatedly when trying to guide them into my traps. I'm  having to literally save and reload every few seconds to attempt to get through the siege. It's aggravating enough that I'm about willing to turn off invaders.

I also have two idiotsdwarves who keep running into my trapped entrance and then back out. Everything is set to forbid on death, so he shouldn't have a reason to head out there.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48391 on: September 09, 2016, 01:05:33 am »

KEAS
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48392 on: September 09, 2016, 01:13:19 am »

I generated a small world that's essentially one giant evil area, except for some plains and mountains to the west. Two human civilizations and a (dying) dwarvish civ struggle there, while two giant (we're talking 3-4 dark fortresses here) goblin civilizations cover the northwest and eastern parts of the continent.

The fortress itself is almost entirely in an evil area, except for a small part to the southwest. I'll be playing it as a Foundation site, complete with disposable dwarves, containment breaches, and gruesome experiments.

On the other hand, I might very well just end up dying within a few days. We'll see.

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48393 on: September 09, 2016, 01:35:23 am »

KEAS
No kidding. Threecups Deep has just seen the back of an eight kea invasion, who sent at least half of my twenty-dwarf-strong fortress (still the first year) scurrying into trees like morons^w the intelligent creatures they are. I've only just finished getting them down with half a dozen ersatz pine log ladders.

Oh, and a kea stole a stone pot full of blackberry wine. It's enough to drive a taskmaster to drink!
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48394 on: September 09, 2016, 01:44:39 am »

@azrael: Sounds like your weapon trap weapons are wearing out, causing game to crash.

Unless you can prevent that happening, the save is lost.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #48395 on: September 09, 2016, 01:50:11 am »

@azrael: Sounds like your weapon trap weapons are wearing out, causing game to crash.

They were brand new, so I doubt they were worn out. That siege was the first time the trap entrance was used.

I was able to get through the siege by using . to step it through frame by frame, saving every 20 frames, and developing an intense hatred for all humanity and elves. Save isn't lost, though I'm simply turtling for the current siege. All they'll do is delay the construction of my duck.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48396 on: September 09, 2016, 03:12:52 am »

The war dog shakes the gorlak around by the head, tearing apart the head's skin!
It is a gelding blow!

Well, it it the proof that a Gorlaks doesn't have a body, it's all head and limbs.

Another fort:

The fishery worker punches Äs Sarveshuzol's corpse in the lower body with his left hand, bruising the muscle and bruising the guts!
It is a gelding blow!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 03:14:34 am by Libash_Thunderhead »

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48397 on: September 09, 2016, 04:59:43 am »

It's now been 39 years, and Anvillocked struggles on,  eternally hounded by fps death.
Year is now 1111. 1102 was the great unpaving, when log consumption became obvious.
Not long after (before the trees regrew) All the caravans brought only logs and food. Great!
They're still doing it. So I've done a bit of science. I have read about "emergency supplies" if the fort falls below 1 log per dwarf, that's what they bring.
They bring almost 2000 logs a year (800+ human 800+ nonmaxed wood dwarf 300+ elves)
I'm on a 6*6 map and the "cutting edge" of the forest is 200 tiles away.
Disregarding the elves, that's 2000 haul jobs generating 400+ tile walks.
 Hmn...what number of logs do I have be under? Lets just keep it close to zero.
When you buy the logs it relieves the weight, and logs are cheap. The garbage trucks can really haul then, even the elves.
2000 logs a year, delivered to the depot just out front? Yes please, and Thank You!  :P
Problems like old age are tough the death/birth ratio will stop me if i don't get migrants, I'm hoping lack of migrants is due to too few rooms, as many complain about "lack of bedroom". It may be the emergency supply thing. Both easily solved.
I just pray to Armok I haven't emptied the void!  :P
802 adults still drinking..

Goatmaan
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 05:17:24 am by Goatmaan »
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48398 on: September 09, 2016, 07:42:34 am »

Threecups Deep (okay, fine, "Threecups the God-forsaken Deep-Abbey of Ale") has gotten its first Human merchants. Hopefully they've got plenty of cheese.

So far, no dehydration deaths due to being driven up trees by the ever-maddening keas. Not that the horrible green parrots haven't been trying, mind you. A string of paltry thieving is nothing compared to micromanaging up/down stairs and checking and rechecking my units list for the telltale "no job". Treefelling has increased with the addition of a second dedicated lumberjack, but it's still going slowly. In the meantime I'm paving over the areas just above my first underground level to eliminate saplings. For some insane reason falling tree logs will occasionally punch holes in floors, meaning my fortress has been holed and exposed for quite a while now. I'm plugging those up with gabbro block floors, and the plan eventually is to replace the pine log paving with some nice gneiss block paving.

The most annoying part of these wooden distractions that I haven't even really started on the underground fortress proper. Everyone's sleeping in a dorm and dining in a dirt room. I've got magnetite but I haven't gotten around to smelting any of it yet and I've just about run out of the bronze I brought with me. My swordsdwarf squad is nearly kitted out, but I don't even have leather for backbacks or quivers so my marksdwarves are just walking around with fistfuls of wooden bolts. Which reminds me: Archery targets next.

First fey mood was a small animal dissector (of course!). She made a useless trinket from pine wood and hemp cloth and is now my legendary wooden bolt carver. I think I'm going to furnish her room in lead. Maybe she'll die from heavy metal poisoning and save me the trouble of executing her for being an elf-lover.
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48399 on: September 09, 2016, 01:13:13 pm »

Containedmonster's upper level (for civilians) and the lower levels (for doctors, agents and the overseer) were mostly finished by the time the first migrants D-class arrived. Right now the lower levels are dependent on a convulted airlock system to allow for

Also interesting: my overseer and one of the doctors are lovers now. Here's hoping they don't get killed in the inevitable first containment breach.

Finally, something odd seems to be happening on my fortress grounds. Birds, both giant and regular ones, enter my fortress area normally. Then, a few days later, I find their corpses lying randomly. There's no combat log but them hitting the ground, and the only evil rain is syndromeless dwarf blood. Are they getting horrified by the rain, ceasing flight and falling to their death?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48400 on: September 09, 2016, 04:45:45 pm »

They were brand new, so I doubt they were worn out. That siege was the first time the trap entrance was used.

I was able to get through the siege by using . to step it through frame by frame, saving every 20 frames, and developing an intense hatred for all humanity and elves. Save isn't lost, though I'm simply turtling for the current siege. All they'll do is delay the construction of my duck.
You know what I love about Dwarf Fortress?

I can't tell if this is a typo, or you're actually trying to build a giant duck.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48401 on: September 09, 2016, 06:27:24 pm »

I can't tell if this is a typo, or you're actually trying to build a giant duck.
Dibs.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48402 on: September 09, 2016, 07:58:54 pm »

My multicultural fort of dwarves, elves, and humans has been successfully established in a glacier. Wood is the only difficulty, but farms are being constructed in the caverns.

Also, the elves are at war with us. This is the best fort ever.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48403 on: September 09, 2016, 08:38:02 pm »

I am building a giant duck. The feet are forged out of copper, body will be iron, and the bill will be bronze.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48404 on: September 09, 2016, 11:46:58 pm »

My multicultural fort of dwarves, elves, and humans has been successfully established in a glacier. Wood is the only difficulty, but farms are being constructed in the caverns.

Also, the elves are at war with us. This is the best fort ever.

As in: the elves within your fort? Because that may be hard.
Pages: 1 ... 3225 3226 [3227] 3228 3229 ... 3836