Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3228 3229 [3230] 3231 3232 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5786967 times)

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48435 on: September 18, 2016, 08:29:50 am »

I believe were-beasts are building destroyers, so unless you have them locked behind a bridge, it might not matter.  The main thing is to separate everybody so that they can't see each other.  A day or so before the full moon (you can check the wiki to find out when it will be), burrow your dwarfs far, far away.  You will see who is a were-giraffe and who is not. :-)  After that it's pretty easy.  Every full moon, station the were-giraffes away from the fortress and out of sight.  Make sure they aren't sparring when they turn because it can cause a loyalty cascade.  If you get a loyalty cascade, lock the doors and let them fight it out.  Half of them are already dead :-(

Ildac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48436 on: September 18, 2016, 09:27:29 am »

I believe were-beasts are building destroyers, so unless you have them locked behind a bridge, it might not matter.  The main thing is to separate everybody so that they can't see each other.  A day or so before the full moon (you can check the wiki to find out when it will be), burrow your dwarfs far, far away.  You will see who is a were-giraffe and who is not. :-)  After that it's pretty easy.  Every full moon, station the were-giraffes away from the fortress and out of sight.  Make sure they aren't sparring when they turn because it can cause a loyalty cascade.  If you get a loyalty cascade, lock the doors and let them fight it out.  Half of them are already dead :-(

I'm just gonna sequester the infected away in a bridged-off room for the remainder of their lives. XD It's easier than managing were-creatures every month.  Besides, we need someone to enact the will of the Giraffe God, and things to sacrifice to it.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #48437 on: September 18, 2016, 01:42:20 pm »

At least necromancers are rather easy to get. RNG hasn't 'blessed' me with a Ghost Necromancer, which I am okay with since I haven't come up with a way to contain them so they would be useful. Sadly, I must use a live Necromancer. :(
Use adventure mode to steal a book of life and death and donate it to the library. Necromancer fort, necromancer ghosts.

As for the werebeast, get the adventurer infected (by getting bitten or toppling temple statues,) then infect the retired fort. Sneak, bite hand, grab throat, wait until unconscious, sneak to next victim. Hopefully they don't leave the fort after being infected.

Limb severing is done by leaving specific parts unarmored and (I think) using serrated glass disks. Don't recall whether they're supposed to be shotgunned or in traps (which the dwarves fall asleep on.)

This will help! Guess I will take my first trip into adventure mode.

End Goal: Chop the were-beast up, resurrect the bits and watch them all get healed back to life via full moon. Cloning complete!

P.S Getting used to adventure mode is going to take a while, isn't it...
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48438 on: September 18, 2016, 04:51:27 pm »

It's happening again.

That broken werewolf interaction is causing everyone who punches a werewolf, even apparently in their normal form, to become a werewolf next full moon. Just had a fight break out in my tavern because of it. I've locked everyone inside, presuming they were all involved in the fighting and thus all are potentially infected. There is no other safe course of action.

Nevermind, game crashed. Nothing happened.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 05:52:27 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48439 on: September 18, 2016, 05:19:29 pm »

this undead siege needs to end.  My military dwarves are slowly improving-- Got 2 squads cooking, one set of sword dwarfs, and one set of axe dwarves..  Sadly, the zombies are clad in steel, and weilding silver lightsabers.

I have yet to strike metal of any kind.

I am going to do something I have never done before, and attempt the metal smelting exploit on a bronze pick.

I do have access to easy magma. 

Gonna melt the pick, and build giant axe head. Melt that, and repeat.  If the wiki is right, I should slowly start generating bronze bars.  Not a match for steel armor or silver light sabers, but if dodge skill is high enough, I might be able to make this work.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48440 on: September 18, 2016, 05:35:34 pm »

That's what, 250 FPS?

Quite horizontal :v

Not really?  My forts use whole z levels...
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48441 on: September 18, 2016, 05:47:51 pm »

Got werebeast incursion with multiple bites.

I keep trying to play, and getting frustrated by the annoying micromanagement vs. the annoying potential lycanthropy infestation.  :(

Ildac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48442 on: September 18, 2016, 06:38:59 pm »

Tried to contain the weregiraffes.  Thought I got them all walled in, but one managed to slip away.  He turned and infected more people.

I drowned the entire fortress in river water.  The world need not fear the weregiraffe incursion.

Isaacc7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48443 on: September 18, 2016, 06:43:40 pm »

I'm just gonna sequester the infected away in a bridged-off room for the remainder of their lives. XD It's easier than managing were-creatures every month.  Besides, we need someone to enact the will of the Giraffe God, and things to sacrifice to it.

It's always a good idea to have fortifications carved into the walls of your hospital so you can take care of were creatures from a distance.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48444 on: September 18, 2016, 06:49:15 pm »

metal smelting exploit is working.  Up to 6 bars from the initial 1 bar investment.  Progress is slow, but eventually will be worth it, given that the siege has cut off trade, and there is no native metal on the map that I have found.

I just wish it was something better than bronze. :( 

I melted down a steel crossbow, but I need .1 additional steel to make a bar.  The undead invaders have some steel goodies on them, but this only exemplifies why I would like the steel item. :( 

The undead apparently got tired of standing around at the edge of the map, and went home. YAY.  Now I can get metals the legitimate way!

jeeze!  the siege breaks, and now it is an endless littany of visiting scholars using up all my ropereed quires!  I have 32 of them visiting right now, 6 of which are actively writing.  they have written over 10 books already.  jeeze. build it and they will come! Damn academicians!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 08:40:31 pm by wierd »

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #48445 on: September 18, 2016, 09:10:03 pm »

Project Superbowl II has been completed.

Commentary coming over the week...

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48446 on: September 19, 2016, 03:00:12 am »

The world has passed into The Age of the Dragon.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48447 on: September 19, 2016, 03:08:06 am »

I've decided to build a fortress in a style like that of Machu Picchu.

I'm building rectangular rooms into the side of the mountain, then shaving the slopes back to give a blocky mountain look.

I'm also going to use a pumpstack to bring the river at the mountain base to the top so I can have it flow through canals down the mountain like Machu Picchu.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48448 on: September 19, 2016, 10:39:56 am »

I got things going in a 43.05 vanilla fort, so it's slow going without DTherapist. 

I just have 23 migrants so I was busy making sure no one has hunting active when a fight starts. 

One of the rules for this game session is no weapons, so I painstakingly selected 10 of 34 pop those with some Dabbling Dodger skill at least. 

I got my 10 "no uniform" recruits, and luckily it's a Giant Chameleon (C) only, and not a were-type.  The C was on top of a wall on z+2, so really the fight is on top of the wall on z+3.  There are no ladders or ramps going up there, but I have 12 dwarfs managed to climb up to beat the C through orders of vengeful thoughts.

It's a good thing one of the migrants ranger brought along a steel crossbow which was used to bash the C's head into gore. 

Technically, having a weapon is against the spirit of the rule, but setting a "no uniform" squad adheres to the rule. 

It's not my fault Ranger Urist holds on to a weapon he migrated with.

Now, I just have to construct stairs access to lets everyone get down from the 1z wall. 

These dwarfs' legs are too short to jump down 1z.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48449 on: September 19, 2016, 01:44:18 pm »

Journal of Minesly, 15th Granite, 125

Well, things went swimmingly at the capital, and I managed to get myself promoted to expedition leader, by pulling a few strings and licking a few sets of toes. My cousins will be so jealous, to hear about the prime mining land ready for exploitaion by my outpost, Avuzlanir, "Minesly". And we will. It's the perfect dwarven name: sounds dramatic and mythical if you don't know the language, but duplicitous and cave-dwelling to the core, just like us. My steady band will rise to create one of the most famed fortresses in Kogan Thak, and they'd better believe it.

Right away, we run into a problem. Two hills! Both equally distant from water and the wagon, both stretching up promisingly... which to choose? The bigger one, of course!
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 3228 3229 [3230] 3231 3232 ... 3835