Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3228 3229 [3230] 3231 3232 ... 3711

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 3950666 times)

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48435 on: September 17, 2016, 07:33:19 pm »

A were-lion showed up at my fort, with a grand announcement. It was early and my defenses were meager. However, I expected a lengthy tussle, walling off a doorway or such, and it would run off, at which point I could quarantine the survivors experimental !!SCIENCE!! subjects.

"Ho-hum," I thought, reading the description, and deciding little had changed since I last played DF many moons ago. But then I got to the end, and it said something like,  "It is associated with the night, moon and death." Crap. If this thing has domains, like deities, I might be in trouble.

I watched in trepidation as the possible were-lion-god ran towards my open gate as I braced myself for utter devastation.

And then it ran past the gate. Could there be a chance for survival?

I watched as it tore into some sort of beast-man that had been a great nuisance to me. The fight lasted just a moment, but apparently it was full moon, because the beast-man immediately turned into a were-lion and started fighting back. Though it still died, it managed to cripple the daddy were-lion so badly that it was unable to do anything else before the moon ran out and it transformed back into a naked human and ran off again.

Maybe things haven't changed that much.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48436 on: September 17, 2016, 07:37:24 pm »

Oh, also: Apparently a troll managed to crawl up a wall in the cavern stairwells and get inside my fort. I was made aware of a strange message "Urist McTrollslayer has become attached to a statuette of buttock quigoss." WTF I ask myself? And WTF is buttock quigoss? Anyway I have no militia, so I have no idea how the dwarves managed to gang up and beat it to death despite my utter lack of caring (nothing important was being disrupted), but they eventually did. Urist McTrollslayer was apparently hauling a statue of some wierd modded creature called buttock quigoss (perhaps it's an unfortunate name?) and then bonked the poor unconscious troll in the head repeatedly in excess of 50 times with this statue. Now he won't put it down. I guess I'll let him keep it.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #48437 on: September 17, 2016, 09:17:25 pm »

It seems the climate is warm enough that Autumn and Winter are only time periods on a calendar as opposed to times where the land grows too cold for wild plants to grow.

Great for plant gathering.

Ildac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48438 on: September 17, 2016, 11:01:19 pm »

I've decided to take all the survivors from the earlier-mentioned weregiraffe attack and stick them in the hospital (where they've likely wound up anyway, considering what happened).  I will then lock the hospital and set up a second one nearby for injuries unrelated to cursed wounds.  I'm sure some non-cursed dwarves will end up sitting in there with the werebeasts, and I'm sure they'll wind up with their heads bitten off like the others.  A price we'll have to pay for the fortress at large.

Once I've gotten everyone quarantined (god, I hope), I'm going to make a room specifically for the cursed dwarves.  This will basically be their retirement home; completely sealed off from the others, with a several Z-level drop for food pitting, and a well so they don't die of thirst.  Maybe I'll drop some booze down there every so often, or at least have some delivered after they've finished their monthly rampage.  Dwarves still need their ale, cursed or not.  In addition, I'll have a connected room, sealed off by floodgates or something, where I'll pit any captured invaders.  This will align with another part of my plan:

The Temple of the Giraffe God.  All captured goblins, kobolds, beasts, and unwanted/unworthy dwarves will be sacrificed in its name.

EDIT: I have discovered that werebeasts don't need food or water.  Even better.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 12:00:24 am by Ildac »

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48439 on: September 18, 2016, 08:29:50 am »

I believe were-beasts are building destroyers, so unless you have them locked behind a bridge, it might not matter.  The main thing is to separate everybody so that they can't see each other.  A day or so before the full moon (you can check the wiki to find out when it will be), burrow your dwarfs far, far away.  You will see who is a were-giraffe and who is not. :-)  After that it's pretty easy.  Every full moon, station the were-giraffes away from the fortress and out of sight.  Make sure they aren't sparring when they turn because it can cause a loyalty cascade.  If you get a loyalty cascade, lock the doors and let them fight it out.  Half of them are already dead :-(

Ildac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48440 on: September 18, 2016, 09:27:29 am »

I believe were-beasts are building destroyers, so unless you have them locked behind a bridge, it might not matter.  The main thing is to separate everybody so that they can't see each other.  A day or so before the full moon (you can check the wiki to find out when it will be), burrow your dwarfs far, far away.  You will see who is a were-giraffe and who is not. :-)  After that it's pretty easy.  Every full moon, station the were-giraffes away from the fortress and out of sight.  Make sure they aren't sparring when they turn because it can cause a loyalty cascade.  If you get a loyalty cascade, lock the doors and let them fight it out.  Half of them are already dead :-(

I'm just gonna sequester the infected away in a bridged-off room for the remainder of their lives. XD It's easier than managing were-creatures every month.  Besides, we need someone to enact the will of the Giraffe God, and things to sacrifice to it.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #48441 on: September 18, 2016, 01:42:20 pm »

At least necromancers are rather easy to get. RNG hasn't 'blessed' me with a Ghost Necromancer, which I am okay with since I haven't come up with a way to contain them so they would be useful. Sadly, I must use a live Necromancer. :(
Use adventure mode to steal a book of life and death and donate it to the library. Necromancer fort, necromancer ghosts.

As for the werebeast, get the adventurer infected (by getting bitten or toppling temple statues,) then infect the retired fort. Sneak, bite hand, grab throat, wait until unconscious, sneak to next victim. Hopefully they don't leave the fort after being infected.

Limb severing is done by leaving specific parts unarmored and (I think) using serrated glass disks. Don't recall whether they're supposed to be shotgunned or in traps (which the dwarves fall asleep on.)

This will help! Guess I will take my first trip into adventure mode.

End Goal: Chop the were-beast up, resurrect the bits and watch them all get healed back to life via full moon. Cloning complete!

P.S Getting used to adventure mode is going to take a while, isn't it...
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • Never stabs friends, promise!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48442 on: September 18, 2016, 04:51:27 pm »

It's happening again.

That broken werewolf interaction is causing everyone who punches a werewolf, even apparently in their normal form, to become a werewolf next full moon. Just had a fight break out in my tavern because of it. I've locked everyone inside, presuming they were all involved in the fighting and thus all are potentially infected. There is no other safe course of action.

Nevermind, game crashed. Nothing happened.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 05:52:27 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48443 on: September 18, 2016, 05:19:29 pm »

this undead siege needs to end.  My military dwarves are slowly improving-- Got 2 squads cooking, one set of sword dwarfs, and one set of axe dwarves..  Sadly, the zombies are clad in steel, and weilding silver lightsabers.

I have yet to strike metal of any kind.

I am going to do something I have never done before, and attempt the metal smelting exploit on a bronze pick.

I do have access to easy magma. 

Gonna melt the pick, and build giant axe head. Melt that, and repeat.  If the wiki is right, I should slowly start generating bronze bars.  Not a match for steel armor or silver light sabers, but if dodge skill is high enough, I might be able to make this work.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48444 on: September 18, 2016, 05:35:34 pm »

That's what, 250 FPS?

Quite horizontal :v

Not really?  My forts use whole z levels...
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48445 on: September 18, 2016, 05:47:51 pm »

Got werebeast incursion with multiple bites.

I keep trying to play, and getting frustrated by the annoying micromanagement vs. the annoying potential lycanthropy infestation.  :(

Ildac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48446 on: September 18, 2016, 06:38:59 pm »

Tried to contain the weregiraffes.  Thought I got them all walled in, but one managed to slip away.  He turned and infected more people.

I drowned the entire fortress in river water.  The world need not fear the weregiraffe incursion.

Isaacc7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48447 on: September 18, 2016, 06:43:40 pm »

I'm just gonna sequester the infected away in a bridged-off room for the remainder of their lives. XD It's easier than managing were-creatures every month.  Besides, we need someone to enact the will of the Giraffe God, and things to sacrifice to it.

It's always a good idea to have fortifications carved into the walls of your hospital so you can take care of were creatures from a distance.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48448 on: September 18, 2016, 06:49:15 pm »

metal smelting exploit is working.  Up to 6 bars from the initial 1 bar investment.  Progress is slow, but eventually will be worth it, given that the siege has cut off trade, and there is no native metal on the map that I have found.

I just wish it was something better than bronze. :( 

I melted down a steel crossbow, but I need .1 additional steel to make a bar.  The undead invaders have some steel goodies on them, but this only exemplifies why I would like the steel item. :( 

The undead apparently got tired of standing around at the edge of the map, and went home. YAY.  Now I can get metals the legitimate way!

jeeze!  the siege breaks, and now it is an endless littany of visiting scholars using up all my ropereed quires!  I have 32 of them visiting right now, 6 of which are actively writing.  they have written over 10 books already.  jeeze. build it and they will come! Damn academicians!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 08:40:31 pm by wierd »

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #48449 on: September 18, 2016, 09:10:03 pm »

Project Superbowl II has been completed.

Commentary coming over the week...
Pages: 1 ... 3228 3229 [3230] 3231 3232 ... 3711