Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3234 3235 [3236] 3237 3238 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854340 times)

Beesarewatchingyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48525 on: September 29, 2016, 02:05:49 pm »

I'm very new to fortress mode, but I've been an adventure mode player for years. I've got to say, I wish I'd tried fortress mode sooner because I've been having a great time with it. Was always just intimidated by the difficulty.

After a couple of forts that got retired before breaching the caverns, (aquifer troubles) I founded a third on an evil glacier for a laugh. Never thought I had any chance at all of surviving there, just wanted to see how long it took before the biome killed my dwarves.

By some miracle things are actually working out ok. Right now we're in our second year, with a walled off section of caverns big enough to supply all the wood and plump helmets we need. Finally got a well set up, a nice dining room and all the other things needed for a basic fortress. Downside is that very few migrants make past all the thralling dust, plus every caravan's ended up being murdered or thralled before reaching the gate. Spent a very, very long time without any water because the first cavern layer was totally dry, had to dig deeper to get a well. That aside though, I've been incredibly lucky. No large-scale fun yet, although I had a ghost problem for a while because of all the dead merchants and caravan guards.

Also this place seems to be very metal poor, even though I specifically looked for a place with both deep and shallow metals. We've got nothing but malachite so far and I've breached 2 cavern layers. :/ By the way, my civ only had steel anvils. Does that happen often or did I just get unlucky there?

Currently I'm planning a weapon of mass destruction to deal with all the thralled yetis and merchants that have forced me to block the gate. I've heard water freezes if it's pumped onto the surface in a glacier, so I can kill people by encasing them in ice. That way I can finally get my hands on those caravan goods lying around outside. (although they'll probably be covered with thrall dust by now, not sure what to do about that)

Adventure mode got me into DF but I can see myself playing a ton of fortress mode over the next few weeks. Loving this game right now. Sorry for the long post.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48526 on: September 29, 2016, 02:49:03 pm »

Steel anvils means your civ doesn't have access to any ore of iron.

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48527 on: September 29, 2016, 04:34:37 pm »

My dwarfs were depending on herbalism to keep the still running. Then the winter snows came. Might have been able to dig down to the first cavern if my legendary miner hadn't just had Fun connecting the mama furnaces to the volcano. Also tried farming plump helmets but it was too late, the fort "withered".

I might reclaim it but I also just discovered that I could reclaim one of two of the civ's other forts.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48528 on: September 29, 2016, 05:45:20 pm »

Steel anvils means your civ doesn't have access to any ore of iron.
That is why only dwarves have steel. They lied that pig iron and steel are made using iron, but no, their merchants still bring pig iron even  if they don't have iron. :p

Steel and pig iron are made using strange dwarven rituals, they usually just use iron to do it.

Forgotten Beast: MWAHAHAHA, THE FORT IS MINE!!!
Forgotten Beast: Damn, I hate trees...

« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 09:35:07 pm by Libash_Thunderhead »

Ironbreaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48529 on: September 30, 2016, 03:05:59 am »

This is my first successful fort after many failed attempts, I think it is my 5th fortress. So far so good, until I noticed many strange deaths, and very unusual deaths. Dwarves were just dropping like fly's on a regular basis with no warning. After trying to investigate what was going on, I still had no clue, so I had to use legends viewer for this.

After investigating in legends viewer, I find some very interesting things that I had no idea could even happen. It was kind of a blessing in disguise, you will see what I mean in the screen shot below. Pay close attention to the first 6 deaths. There was also 3 deaths prior to this by a werebeast, but that werebeast was short lived and the dwarf and werebeast both killed each other.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48530 on: September 30, 2016, 08:29:22 am »

My queen arrived, as did her husband, and the outpost liaison. No Legendary Dwarfs though, which was a real shame, as they would have been useful in the goblin siege which followed. There were about 110 goblins, trolls and beak dogs all up, and while my military managed to fight them off, i lost half of them in the process(7 dwarfs and a human lasher). The mess was enough to scare off the human caravan.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48531 on: September 30, 2016, 09:57:20 am »

In v43.05, Scenario:

Year 1, Season 1: each of the 2 embark founders says in their descriptions "how old they are and when their birthday."

Year 2, Season 1: The 2 embark founders are now werebeast, and thier description changes to "has the look of an xxx years old, is one of his kind"

Year 2, Season 3: One of the migrant shows up with the the description saying "has the look of an xxx years old, is one of his kind"; the others says "how old they are and when their birthday is"

Now I'm paranoid that this migrant may also have a werebeast curse.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48532 on: September 30, 2016, 09:26:29 pm »

I did not know that migrants could show up as werebeasts, vampires yes, werebeasts, no.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48533 on: September 30, 2016, 11:24:15 pm »

This is my first successful fort after many failed attempts, I think it is my 5th fortress. So far so good, until I noticed many strange deaths, and very unusual deaths. Dwarves were just dropping like fly's on a regular basis with no warning. After trying to investigate what was going on, I still had no clue, so I had to use legends viewer for this.

After investigating in legends viewer, I find some very interesting things that I had no idea could even happen. It was kind of a blessing in disguise, you will see what I mean in the screen shot below. Pay close attention to the first 6 deaths. There was also 3 deaths prior to this by a werebeast, but that werebeast was short lived and the dwarf and werebeast both killed each other.
I suspect the first six were bitten, which would transmit the curse and turn them into werebeasts. They bled out, probably before they ever transformed (transforming would have fixed the bleeding out thing). The other three "were struck down by Nawara with a (6528)." I suspect (6528) is computer code for something Nawara picked up and was beating/stabbing/etc. people with.

Check out your combat reports.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48534 on: October 01, 2016, 03:10:09 am »

My Fortress was attacked by a titan, a blob made of flame. I managed, with the loss of a sacrificial farmer(it seemed to be stuck breaking down a door), to lure it into a cave in trap. But the loss to the fortress was far greater than that, as the inferno the beast set of destroyed my windmills again(again), and killed all my livestock. Fortunately the seeds survived this time, so farming will be able to continue.   

Ironbreaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48535 on: October 01, 2016, 08:51:15 am »

I suspect the first six were bitten, which would transmit the curse and turn them into werebeasts. They bled out, probably before they ever transformed (transforming would have fixed the bleeding out thing). The other three "were struck down by Nawara with a (6528)." I suspect (6528) is computer code for something Nawara picked up and was beating/stabbing/etc. people with.

Check out your combat reports.

Ah ok, cool, good thing they bled out then. Still learning a lot about this game, even though I have put many hours in. I will have to investigate the combat log. Thanks

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48536 on: October 01, 2016, 09:13:08 am »

FPS death happened when I looked at trees.
So I had to switch to a blank level when the game is idling.

A dragon came an died. The trees were on fire.
I should have build cage traps instead of weapon traps.
End of story.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 10:47:33 am by Libash_Thunderhead »

Beesarewatchingyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48537 on: October 01, 2016, 07:25:19 pm »

A migrant wave of about 20 dwarves just crossed paths with a thralling dust cloud. There are corpses and body parts scattered all over the map edge now. Needless to say, I hope they're not related to anyone inside the fort.

I'm trying to catch the stragglers in cage traps so we can use them to decorate the dining room. So far we only have 1 berserk dwarf in a cage, it's not enough.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48538 on: October 01, 2016, 07:40:40 pm »

Stakeapes is quieting down. Not a whole lot to do here nowadays.
Been mostly beautifying and tidying up, finishing the warehouse roof, rebuilding the depot out of fine pewter, installing granite block walls in place of the dug soil ones in the basements.
I also erased all surface sign of the two failed wells and built statue gardens on the spots.
And since I don't think we'll need the quarry for the forseeable future I've had it turned into a landfill.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48539 on: October 02, 2016, 01:39:44 am »

A crundle attracted several dwarves who wanted its blood for some reason. However it refused to get off the wall. So those fools were slowly starving.
I had to recruit several marksdwarves to shoot it down. The angry dwarves then rushed forward and tore the poor thing into pieces.
Pages: 1 ... 3234 3235 [3236] 3237 3238 ... 3836