Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3278 3279 [3280] 3281 3282 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5857256 times)

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49185 on: January 01, 2017, 09:28:20 am »

Most of the animals, with the exception of maybe half the spiders and the grazers, are caged. The hydras are all chained or caged, though there's the occasional escaped newborn that winds up getting put down by my militia, albeit at the cost of the occasional arm, leg, or peasant. I figure seven breeding pairs of hydras ought to be more than enough for steady population increase, especially given their apparent propensity for multiple births.

I actually already had an area set up for breaching HFS, with traps, a secure shooting gallery, and an artifact wagon wood door, but haven't opened up the pillar yet. In light of my impending Hydrasplosion, I figure I'll wait until I have a few score decently sized hydras, backed up by a few hundred crundles, and see how they fare. Doberman bombs are for pikers.

As for selling the crundles to the elves, the cage they're all stuffed into is wood, and I really, really don't want to go through trying to transfer 300+ crundles to another cage. Besides, I haven't had an elven caravan make it past the constant sieges in years.

I've also discovered how the occasional hostile visitor still manages to get inside my fortress with the gates closed, despite anti-climber overhangs. Apparently they're climbing a tree and jumping across a 2-tile gap to the top of my walls in order to sate their lust for stabbing baby dralthas. I have gotten a named baby draltha out of it though, from kicking a thief to death. That one will be spared when I cull the herd. Anyway, once this siege ends it's time to pave even more of the surface.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49186 on: January 01, 2017, 12:35:07 pm »

I've also discovered how the occasional hostile visitor still manages to get inside my fortress with the gates closed, despite anti-climber overhangs. Apparently they're climbing a tree and jumping across a 2-tile gap to the top of my walls in order to sate their lust for stabbing baby dralthas. I have gotten a named baby draltha out of it though, from kicking a thief to death. That one will be spared when I cull the herd. Anyway, once this siege ends it's time to pave even more of the surface.

Trees are the enemy.

Build a nice, wide road all the way around the wall to prevent any growth.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49187 on: January 01, 2017, 01:32:58 pm »

Native aluminium gizzard stone for the militia commander wereass locked in the caverns. Whoo, I guess. Perhaps he can make it into something.
One wheel short of a wagon

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49188 on: January 01, 2017, 10:23:12 pm »

The new elf sheriff killed 6 citizens and jailed another 5, all of them were legendary warriors in bronze or steel full armors.

Reloaded the save. :-X

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #49189 on: January 01, 2017, 11:17:26 pm »

I've finally followed the advice of "dig deep until you hit the magma sea"

I am trying to sort a few things out and hopefully arrive at a "mature" fort where:
I have
 "dump chute" to drop ores and fuel down
 "metal works area" around the magma pipe
 "food production and trade" and "wood manufacturing" areas
 some "locations" of the various types

I'm only two or three dwarf caravans in? since finding the top of the adamantine I've had a good influx of dwarfs. No hostiles as yet other than those from within the caverns. Happy to date.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49190 on: January 02, 2017, 02:29:41 am »

The expandition leader was attacked by a cave crocodile and fell into the lake.
But he managed to crawl out of the water and survived. Although he might need to carry a crutch for the rest of his life without a dfhack heal.
I had a dwarf titled the Brewmeister who was in an almost identical situation. He killed a dozen cavern critters, including a GCS, with his crutch. Then I gave him a lead one.

Don't you dare heal that dwarf.

I just realised, why not a platinum one?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49191 on: January 02, 2017, 10:01:18 pm »

My Fortress is full of vegan Dwarfs.  Well, at least they stopped drinking water.   :-\

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I feel so ashamed.... :'(
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49192 on: January 02, 2017, 11:03:48 pm »

Embark near a volcano, and was just testing some raw edits.  I had begun work on a magma force area, which was finished no is workshops, and want AFK, forgetting to pause. Unfortunately, I had decided the magma breach (to feed the forges) with a door, that was not forbidden. Magma know wandered through and killed 10 dwarves before I came back, and two more before they died. This project claimed the lives of 14 dwarves (both kinds died excavating). I am left with three dwarves.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49193 on: January 03, 2017, 08:15:56 am »

My captured and trained Gremlin petitioned for citizenship, and has been appointed as a militia captain. Dwarves aren't able to produce any armor small enough to fit gremlins via the details menu, but using Dwarf Therapist to enable Armorsmithing and Leatherworking and Workshop Profiling has allowed her to make her own equipment, sized to fit. Also, gremlins are too small to wield any weapons except for daggers and spears, and have rather severe issues with encumbrance, so she's been issued an Adamantine spear and Feather Wood shield. She's now working hard to improve her Armorsmithing until she can produce a full suit of exceptional/masterwork armor, at which point I'm going to see if I can get a titled Gremlin Spearmaster. I wish I had the artistic skills to properly portray a fully armored gremlin, all of maybe 10 kilograms, armed with a ridiculously oversized spear and a shield that's probably as big as she is strapped to her back, taking on foes hundreds of times her size.

Meanwhile, our Hydra breeding program continues to bear fruit, with the latest generation bringing us up to 25. The Giant Cave Spider program has also produced enough surplus spiders to provide all entrances to our fortress with webbing turrets. First test on a handy invasion of trapavoid Nakashim proved the effectiveness of the design, though three hapless military dwarves also were caged when I attempted to deploy them through the same gate on cleanup duty. Also, a webbing, flying Forgotten Beast attacked, but for some strange reason decided to park itself in the single-tile space at the bottom of my 30+ Z-level drop shaft, trapping itself quite nicely. There was already a 3x3 ring of 3-Z high walls with a single door at the bottom in order to make retrieval of exploded body parts easier, so I just walled off the door and the roof for now as insurance. The question is, what do I do with it? Maybe I should turn it into a silk farm or something...

Finally, last summer the Elven diplomat, after finishing his meeting and retiring to the tavern, took it upon himself to attack the visiting Human Guild Representative, and was rapidly dismembered. This summer, the same Guild Representative decided it would be a good idea to punch an armored war elephant mercenary, and got his skull crushed for his trouble. Strangely enough, this passed his position to one of my resident bards who'd already been accepted as a citizen. I have no clue what this will do to future diplomacy.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 08:53:24 am by YetAnotherLurker »

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49194 on: January 03, 2017, 12:13:44 pm »

Before the first year was over, my fortress already had two impressive artifacts: a green glass chest covered with gems and decorated with the symbol of my civilization, and a single wooden earring showing the creation of my fortress, decorated with platinum bands.

Then, as the second summer was about to end, a third dwarf, this time a small child, kicked my stonecrafter out of the workshop and started working.

After days of work, the little kid showed to the world his creation:

A wooden amulet. Decorated with wood.

Nothing else; the kid gathered two pieces of wood and made that. The cheapest artifact I can remember, too.

I almost feel bad for him.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49195 on: January 03, 2017, 07:30:03 pm »

But he managed to crawl out of the water and survived. Although he might need to carry a crutch for the rest of his life without a dfhack heal.
I had a dwarf titled the Brewmeister who was in an almost identical situation. He killed a dozen cavern critters, including a GCS, with his crutch. Then I gave him a lead one.

Well the expandition leader got a *platinum crutch*.

Note:

copper war hammer - weight 8
platinum crutch - weight 42

Edit*

Dwarven green paint

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 08:41:11 pm by Libash_Thunderhead »

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49196 on: January 05, 2017, 05:08:45 pm »

I have nagas and kobolds visiting my fort's tavern/inn

One does not simply...
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49197 on: January 05, 2017, 06:54:21 pm »

Well the expedition leader got a *platinum crutch*.
Note:
copper war hammer - weight 8
platinum crutch - weight 42
Yeah, it's been done a few times, and it works well. I usually only hire crutchwalking champions these days.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49198 on: January 05, 2017, 08:17:23 pm »

My minecart keeps disappearing.
It seems the dwarves will grab the minecart to decorate, or sell it by accident when it contains other goods. ::)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49199 on: January 05, 2017, 09:55:59 pm »

You can sell routed minecart to trade caravan indeed. Luckily, dwarves will not carry it back.

@Callisto8413: Hm, what setups do you use to stick so many ingredients in a stew? My brokers are very interested.

@YetAnotherLurker: Maybe check if Gremlins can produce smaller shields as well? A set of non-encumbering copper shields would be nice thing to outfit military with, if they can wield them.

@Crutches: Well, the weight of a weapon only boosts swings up to a point. Meanwhile, encumbrance is always active.
Pages: 1 ... 3278 3279 [3280] 3281 3282 ... 3836