Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3279 3280 [3281] 3282 3283 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787881 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49200 on: January 05, 2017, 11:53:57 pm »

26 goblins killed, lost 32 civilians. It's besutiful.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49201 on: January 06, 2017, 10:05:41 am »

Training archer squads by having them hunt. It's lazy but efficient.
One wheel short of a wagon

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49202 on: January 06, 2017, 03:47:41 pm »

Tobul Furnacedeer, born today, already has a tragedy looming ahead of her. Her both parents are 170 years old so she will be orphaned when the spring comes in seven and half months. Let's just hope that charity and goodwill of other citizens of Roughcopper will be enough to carry her over to childhood.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49203 on: January 06, 2017, 03:56:21 pm »

Tobul Furnacedeer, born today, already has a tragedy looming ahead of her. Her both parents are 170 years old so she will be orphaned when the spring comes in seven and half months. Let's just hope that charity and goodwill of other citizens of Roughcopper will be enough to carry her over to childhood.

Oooh. How does fortress mode handle orphans anyway? Especially since that's good odds that she'll be a baby for a few months afterward.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49204 on: January 06, 2017, 04:22:16 pm »

Oooh. How does fortress mode handle orphans anyway? Especially since that's good odds that she'll be a baby for a few months afterward.

In theory bystanders should now remember to give an orphaned baby food and water often enough for it to survive; I guess in few months we'll see.

Uhhh... welcome?

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49205 on: January 06, 2017, 04:34:44 pm »

I'm getting so many migrants I might just build a wall.
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49206 on: January 06, 2017, 10:06:24 pm »

A migrant wave arrived in an unexplored edge of a cavern, 55 z's down from the surface. They didn't enter the map and start running for the fort until an Herbalist was sent to that area to finish exploring it. Also, when a human caravan left, a lone caravan guard went down into the caves, killed a cave croc, and and left the map within a couple of z's of where the migrants came in. Do underground roads still exist (even if they do not appear in the embark zone, maybe they can still link maps)? There also is a kobold cave in this embark.

A were-camel bit three dwarfs. They were put in special "hospital" with some food and booze. When the moon came around again, one apparently was slow changing form and the other two killed him. Then they destroyed their own beds so I left them in the miasma for a couple seasons.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49207 on: January 06, 2017, 10:35:25 pm »

For some reason there had been holes on the floor for ages.
Occasionally giant olms or crocodiles entered the tavern from below but I couldn't find the cause, until I looked at one of the statues and it showed open space. ::)

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49208 on: January 06, 2017, 11:26:19 pm »

One of my guests just murdered one of my dwarves in a horrifically bloody way. and nobody cares, not even witnesses, law, or dwarf who was murdered.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49209 on: January 07, 2017, 05:37:16 am »

Do underground roads still exist (even if they do not appear in the embark zone, maybe they can still link maps)?

Underground roads do exist (I have a whole network of them in my current fort!) but they should be very visible when you get to caverns.

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49210 on: January 07, 2017, 05:40:21 am »

In theory bystanders should now remember to give an orphaned baby food and water often enough for it to survive; I guess in few months we'll see.

As it happened, young Tobul made it to childhood with the help of bystanders. The first thing she did as an one-year old was to get drunk on dwarven rum. These tragedies tend to leave a mark on dwarven psyche.

Uhhh... welcome?

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49211 on: January 07, 2017, 06:07:39 am »

Shields don't appear to have a size, though I don't see why smaller copper shields would be of any particular benefit, unless there's some kind of odd sweet spot for shield bashing where the density still matters but the weight doesn't. Anyway, my Gremlin got to where she was consistently making Exceptional and Masterwork armor, so I had her make a full suit of Adamantine for herself. Proper training is on hold while I slowly haul thousands of logs to my stockpiles, since I finally got fed up and clearcut most of the surface trees. One woodcutter managed to get badly mauled by a Giant Alligator that fell out of a felled tree, and there were plenty of injuries from falling logs, but surprisingly nothing crippling or lethal.

Incidentally, at one point the gremlin decided to spend some time helping with the hauling. Normally this is fine, but well, the task she took upon herself was to drag the recent corpse of a forgotten beast to one of the refuse stockpiles. It's made of Aventurine, and weighs 20547Γ. Bear in mind that gremlins weigh roughly 10Γ.

Efforts to capture and tame the great beasts of the world continue, with the hydra population reaching 60, and another forgotten beast successfully captured in a webbed cage trap. It's a huge sheep with external ribs, a fat bulging trunk, and poisonous vapors. Not sure what effect its vapors have yet, so it's staying in its cage for now; I'll figure out a use for it eventually. Hmm, it's a sheep... can forgotten beasts be sheared? Also, I now have a single cage with no fewer than 363 crundles packed into it. It weighs 4257Γ, so when I say I have tons of crundles, I am speaking the literal truth.

Sadly, the presence of the human Guild Representative in my fortress as a citizen bard apparently prevents negotiation of further trade agreements with the humans. As a result, I no longer have the ability to request specific goods from either caravan, as the dwarven Outpost Liaison moved in when the queen did.

I can't say I've ever had migrants or other visitors (aside from FBs, of course) arrive from the caverns, though cavern departures seem fairly common.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49212 on: January 07, 2017, 09:14:33 am »

Underground roads do exist (I have a whole network of them in my current fort!) but they should be very visible when you get to caverns.
Nothing visible but much of the caverns are still unexplored. Time for some were-camel exploring.
I can't say I've ever had migrants or other visitors (aside from FBs, of course) arrive from the caverns, though cavern departures seem fairly common.
The caverns are usually kept sealed off but when they were not, I could easily have missed a departure there. The odd thing is that the depot is on the surface and the surface is nearly flat, and this guy decides.. "let's go out through the caverns". Maybe he just started on the career path of an adventurer.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49213 on: January 07, 2017, 11:09:56 am »

I noticed my manager/record keeper didn't show up for work and complained he supposedly didn't have an office.
First time I got that message, so i investigated... to find this
just... how. There's literally no way up those walls included in the construction and not one but TWO dwarves have managed to get stuck up there?!
I've added stairs now, but... wow.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49214 on: January 07, 2017, 11:16:04 am »

They must've been really commited to avian homicide (avicide?) Based on what i presume to be a dead kea or kakapo.
Pages: 1 ... 3279 3280 [3281] 3282 3283 ... 3835