Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3290 3291 [3292] 3293 3294 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5847963 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49365 on: January 25, 2017, 06:51:26 pm »

If your fort is dealing with that will most likely be, well?

Quote the raven husk, "Nevermore"

My sweet Lenore,
Bashing down my chamber door.
Her corpse rose from the grave;
Not as a ghost, which may've thrown a rave,
But as a husk, becoming eternal strife;
Coming now to end my life.

did i nail it
i came by to say nice poem

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49366 on: January 25, 2017, 07:22:53 pm »

And now the ghost went and ripped off a dude's leg. How that dude is alive is beyond me, but his leg is rotting in my food.

That happened to me once.
The guy survived and is now a legendary crutch walker.   
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49367 on: January 25, 2017, 08:47:26 pm »

And now the ghost went and ripped off a dude's leg. How that dude is alive is beyond me, but his leg is rotting in my food.

That happened to me once.
The guy survived and is now a legendary crutch walker.

I tried to send my squad to kill some polar bears but instead they took half a month and beat them all to a slow, painful death with their crutches, never once touching their iron weapons...

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49368 on: January 25, 2017, 09:56:36 pm »

Sweet! After 5 years, my dwarves have finally defeated the river, and saved the FPS.

EhSolly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49369 on: January 25, 2017, 11:34:30 pm »

And a werebeast just bit 3 of my dwarves. Oh, goodie.
Lock them up, and let them settle it themselves...
New account; changed username.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #49370 on: January 26, 2017, 03:13:23 am »

Same werebeast species don't fight. They also don't dehydrate or starve.

Something's glitchy with this though, because they do fight. Not sure why.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49371 on: January 26, 2017, 03:52:29 am »

I thought I understood how to dig into an adamantine spire safely.

I was mistaken.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49372 on: January 26, 2017, 05:02:24 am »

The Forgotten Beast Alen has come!  A great blob composed of salt.  It has wings and it has a bloated body.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Some FB's...

Seriously this one guy, despite a civilian alert and the doors to the tavern being locked decided to waltz on down for some socializing.  ::)
Check your burrow. If there is one tile outside the fort then he might have tried to path to that tile. I had a mob of migrants running in during a civ alert then later found 2 of them huddled outside of a side gate because of this. Lucky guys too, the thralled water buffalo was busy with some undead giant magpies

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 05:19:25 am by anewaname »
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49373 on: January 26, 2017, 05:18:57 am »

I thought I understood how to dig into an adamantine spire safely.

I was mistaken.
Heh. Had that happen to me once, with dwarven road-dar and straight spire :P
Well, more goblins. Decided to do a sample save to see what happens if I try to fend them off.

It goes poorly.
Aw. Kill them with shotgunned tomatoes?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49374 on: January 26, 2017, 08:09:00 am »

I decided it would be Great Fun to embark with a dying civ, since I actually like wrangling a fort full of children. Unfortunately, of the initial seven and the two subsequent migrant waves, I've only gotten four lady beards to ten male beards. Two of said women died; the first, my starting woodcutter, when she freaking drowned while cutting down trees 8 days into the embark. The second, my starting mason, succumbed to infection several months after helping fend off a gray langur incursion. If I don't get more women migrants, I think I'm slightly screwed for the perpetuation of the dwarven species. BLAH.

Also my expedition leader slash doctor declared himself king, so. That's a thing.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49375 on: January 26, 2017, 09:02:10 am »

You might have to make arranged marriages. Take the best lady beard you can, and have her marry the smartest and fittest dwarf you can. If you have two married couples, you can have a dwarf supply that can last a long time, like Archcrystal.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49376 on: January 26, 2017, 10:07:17 am »

The Wooden Manors, a performance troupe, is visiting.

That's new. Has anyone had this before?

Edit: I'm suddenly also getting a metric fuckton of visitors.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 10:13:04 am by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49377 on: January 26, 2017, 10:39:12 am »

Yeah, I think performance troupes require a certain threshold of attained or traded wealth to come, possibly to the civ they originate from. But once you get that level of wealth, they keep coming.

Don't see anything special about that troupe you have there. Troupes tend to have bit different member caste list than regular visitors.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49378 on: January 26, 2017, 11:01:46 am »

I breached the first cavern layer in search of non-stagnant water. One word? Carnage. There's about a dozen corpses visible in the small part I've revealed so far: bat men, drunians, a giant olm, even two trolls. I promptly sealed up the place: it didn't have water anyway.

The second layer was subsequently discovered, and this one had water! I'm currently digging an underground basin to collect it, sealed off by an artifact floodgate I had lying around (I'm sorry, queen Udib, your bedroom is 'horrible' again).

Also, a dwarf didn't get silk cloth for his artifact and went crazy. He eventually died on the doorstep of my temple: Helmdragons has seen its first death. A small burial room/temple for the god of death was designated next to the farms, and the dwarf was buried there without issue.

I've also filled in a new level. The fortress guard and militia squad now have a training room, there's a jail guarded by a hyena the elves sold me, and both mayor and guard captain have received their rooms. Work on the hospital has also been finished, and the built-in well will hopefully be filled soon.

I'm seriously questioning my defenses. While in an emergency I could lock the whole place up and seal off the entrances, if anything actually gets in my eight warrior dwarves are going to have one hell of a tough time killing stuff with their copper equipment. Curse you, metamorphic layers!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49379 on: January 26, 2017, 12:04:29 pm »

It is when anything that is not a hand-hend weapon, armor or cloth breaks; A broken earring will segfault you even if not installed into a weapon trap. Though not sure what happens when a hand-held weapon built into weapon trap breaks.

That said, it is not like 43.05 has gotten any updates while you were away; otherwise it'd be 43.06.

I'm doubtful about falls being damaging, though, but if they fall enough times...
Pages: 1 ... 3290 3291 [3292] 3293 3294 ... 3836