Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3291 3292 [3293] 3294 3295 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787246 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49380 on: January 26, 2017, 12:11:20 pm »

It's capped at something like...47z for terminal velocity, I think. Past that point, it's no use. And I've had a dwarf survive 19z drop onto slade floor in .03, so...Plan for them possibly surviving.

That said, might be a moot point; if the water washes them into a hole, then that hole is a drowning chamber.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49381 on: January 26, 2017, 03:47:08 pm »

It is when anything that is not a hand-hend weapon, armor or cloth breaks
Source? I've only seen trap components mentioned on the bug tracker, so if broken earrings crash, that's news to me, and likely news to Toady as well.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49382 on: January 26, 2017, 03:59:37 pm »

~snip~
That's new. Has anyone had this before?

Edit: I'm suddenly also getting a metric fuckton of visitors.

Most of those goblins & elves are probably apprenticed to the humans (or goblins most definitely apprenticed to the elves) hence why there's so many in the troupe. Bringing their ex-students along for the ride.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49383 on: January 26, 2017, 07:07:17 pm »

Seriously this one guy, despite a civilian alert and the doors to the tavern being locked decided to waltz on down for some socializing.  ::)
Check your burrow. If there is one tile outside the fort then he might have tried to path to that tile. I had a mob of migrants running in during a civ alert then later found 2 of them huddled outside of a side gate because of this. Lucky guys too, the thralled water buffalo was busy with some undead giant magpies
The bunker in question was a mined out microcline deposit 10z underground. The tavern is on the surface  :-\
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49384 on: January 26, 2017, 07:29:56 pm »

You might have to make arranged marriages. Take the best lady beard you can, and have her marry the smartest and fittest dwarf you can. If you have two married couples, you can have a dwarf supply that can last a long time, like Archcrystal.

Huh! I thought at least three married couples were necessary, for when their grandchildren grow up enough to pair off. Something about how if there are only two lineages, the children will only chose partners from the other lineage, and then the grandchildren won't marry their same-age aunts/uncles or their first cousins.

Doesn't matter anyway, I got a migrantsplosion after the elven caravan of 202. Guess the civ is only dying, not dead.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49385 on: January 26, 2017, 07:39:25 pm »

Doesn't matter anyway, I got a migrantsplosion after the elven caravan of 202. Guess the civ is only dying, not dead.

No liason suggests that the dwarves are currently entirely refugees because all the 'Market' provinces have been destroyed, while no caravans & no liasons will suggest that ALL the hillocks and fortresses in range of your own  player fortress have been destroyed but there is probably still a hermit and/or group of refugees out there somewhere keeping the flame of dwarven independence & civilisation alive.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49386 on: January 26, 2017, 08:21:28 pm »

No liason suggests that the dwarves are currently entirely refugees because all the 'Market' provinces have been destroyed, while no caravans & no liasons will suggest that ALL the hillocks and fortresses in range of your own  player fortress have been destroyed but there is probably still a hermit and/or group of refugees out there somewhere keeping the flame of dwarven independence & civilisation alive.

Aaaaaah. Thanks for the clarification!

Steelteacher is now 31 beards strong! And being invaded by gray langurs again, ugh. Go awayyyy you obnoxious monkeys stop trying to steal all our stuff

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49387 on: January 26, 2017, 10:55:15 pm »

Source? I've only seen trap components mentioned on the bug tracker, so if broken earrings crash, that's news to me, and likely news to Toady as well.
My own testing with minecart drop training. Details mentioned starting here in trivial findings thread and continuing on next page.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49388 on: January 27, 2017, 02:45:26 am »

The king of Steelteacher likes llamas. Now we have 48 statues, all of llamas, all in his various rooms. I hope he likes that 16 of them stare at him while he sleeps. (Another 10 watch over his throne room. The rest guard his future tomb.)

Maybe I should've made them all blood gnats, that'd be more amusingly suitable.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49389 on: January 27, 2017, 08:07:07 am »

The Happy Fun Death Pit was completed in 203, and it got its first test run when a group of gray langurs tried to make a run for my stuff. I have no idea how one of them managed to survive the 30-z drop with only a mangled left front leg, but it's not going anywhere right now.

Steelteacher also welcomed its first native-born dwarf shortly before the turn of the year. In order to encourage fraternization among the ranks and love and marriage and baby carriages and such, I'm doing the 1-tile meeting zone trick.

Also, elves. None of my prepared meals are in large pots, alas, so I'm going to have to steal all their shit again. Oh noes.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49390 on: January 27, 2017, 08:29:02 am »

Still just trying to find anything better for weapons and arm other than copper... So far that's all, though. Guess my military will be decked out in lots of leather stuff with copper shields, mail shirts, and helms, with silver hammers. If I can find some cassiterite lower down I'll be set though. The gems offered by the mountainhome aren't that great, not a single top tier gem and no sapphires, but I'll be able to ship in any metal I want slowly, as well as their ores. Going to get someone to master at least in weapon smithing and armour smithing before we touch the steel I manufacture, so the elite dwarves get the best.

The dog who fell into the waterfall on day one is still sitting their, covered in scars, and surrounded by dead hippoes, otters, and alligators. What a beast.

Only one person has died in a tree so far, and he was just a fisher, so it doesn't matter. Already brought in all the fish we'll need.

My clothier just started a fey mood, this is great. Was hoping to have good clothing for everyone, and just imported a ton of GCS Silk.

Ancientvault's seemingly turning out a lot better than Openbodies, where everyone just died of dehydration. Accursed desert!
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49391 on: January 27, 2017, 09:31:11 am »

Why, oh why, oh why do dwarves gain friendship so slowly in 43.03? I had to turn off the temple and make a 1-tile meeting area for them to even start talking to each other, and it's been months now and I haven't gotten a single romance out of it. UGH.

Also a bloody woodcrafter got bloody possessed. What a useful profession to waste a mood on.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49392 on: January 27, 2017, 09:37:27 am »

I recommend two-person marriage suites - put in a compatible pair and check in on them with compatible pair.

First time hearing of somebody using 1-tile meeting zone for conversations, I'd assume the relationship points would get all spread out.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49393 on: January 27, 2017, 09:42:12 am »

I recommend two-person marriage suites - put in a compatible pair and check in on them with compatible pair.

First time hearing of somebody using 1-tile meeting zone for conversations, I'd assume the relationship points would get all spread out.

The 1-tile trick's worked for me in the past. I have heard it's much harder to get dwarves to make friends in 43.03, though, and I think I last played seriously on 34.xx or 40.xx. -shrug- I'll try marriage suites next.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49394 on: January 27, 2017, 09:47:25 am »

And, err, I realize I brainfarted in last post. Check in on them in two seasons, not with another pair :P
Pages: 1 ... 3291 3292 [3293] 3294 3295 ... 3835