Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3292 3293 [3294] 3295 3296 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5859651 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49395 on: January 27, 2017, 10:21:24 am »

And, err, I realize I brainfarted in last post. Check in on them in two seasons, not with another pair :P

Haha, that makes more sense.

The pre-honeymoon suites have been designated for mining, and 27 potential pairings made. Whether they fall in love or threaten to strangle each other I don't know yet, but with that many possibilities at least one has to hit it off. And they'll have pretty stuff to look at, too; there are two legendary engravers in the fort.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49396 on: January 27, 2017, 10:50:21 am »

I don't think dwarves can look at anything other than adjacent built furniture, pretty mist, clothes they're wearing and each other. Though it will still make them happier to sleep there. I think the ghastly corpses one can see is pretty much the only exception to "can't admire things without building/wearing".

I.M. Err0r

• Bay Watcher
  • Keas are just misunderstood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49397 on: January 27, 2017, 02:29:39 pm »

I recently had necromancer adventurer write a bunch of books with the Secrets of Life and Death, put them in a retired fort, and un-retired the fort.  The idea was to have a fort full of necromancer dwarves.  That part worked out pretty well.  Then, one day, a necrodwarf was interrupted by a buzzard and decided to revive a nearby muskox skeleton to kill it.  That worked out pretty well, too.

But, the dead muskox didn't stop there.  It proceeded to kill a few non-necromancer dwarves in the area, and some unlucky dwarves came to recover the bodies.  They promptly had their faces stomped into the ground by the raging muskox, causing more dwarves to come try to recover their dead bodies.

Way to go, Urist McBuzzardHater.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49398 on: January 27, 2017, 03:50:50 pm »

Through incredibly excessive use of bayberries, my dwarves are drunk and well fed. Never knew bayberry and mussel stew was good. Miners are slowly working out the amount of chert we'll need for making our aboveground fortress, and the carpenters are already working on building the outer buildings, mostly for the craftdwarves. A weremonitar lizard showed up, and was taken down by a pair of hunters from a distance, while it mauled a kangaroo.

Someone please tell me why the hell kangaroo's are so deadly... I've had all my dogs, a water buffalo, three hunters, and a pair of military dwarves die to their wrestling moves. Bone breaking punches and charges that send people tumbling down into the waterfall, these things are merciless.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 04:57:07 pm by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49399 on: January 27, 2017, 05:32:01 pm »

I think its simply because they're so large.

Anyway, I've started a fort in an area where an evil marsh meets a good swamp and a good lake. The evil biome does in fact raise the dead, resulting in one longnose gar corpse getting in a fight with a merchant bodyguard. This map is entirely covered by an aquifer at least 3-4 levels deep, and I've yet to breech this. It includes two sand layers and a conglomerate deposit. This is going to be fun.

In the meantime I've had the dwarves build a wooden building on the surface over their farms.
I do have access to sand and wood so I might as well make glass from it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49400 on: January 27, 2017, 05:54:50 pm »

This kind of went on for a bit so if you want to skip it:
tl;dr did a weird cliff embark, my wagon disappeared into thin air, no outpost liaison, although the dwarf caravan showed up.  Also I did really dumb stuff.

Tired of FPS death on my elderly, ailing computer, I tried to start a 1x1 embark in a pocket world with a short history.  I thought it would be nice to start with cliffs, but found out, bizarrely, that it's impossible to embark on a mountain.  There needs to be at least some non-mountainous terrain.  Why would it be impossible for dwarves to embark on a mountain?

So I made it a 1x2.  Supposedly, there were no trees in either square, but there were actually some, luckily all of them 1 square trunks, since apparently those huge bushy trees are also bad FPS juju.  And the embark was actually on the edge of a steep cliff.  For some reason, no wagon came along, so I got no wagon wood nor the usual meeting place you get when there's a wagon.

I was amazed to find that the mountain itself was nearly made of lignite, bituminous coal, native platinum, limonite and magnetite.

My general plan was put the trade depot at the bottom, where I can put drawbridges in to close it from either end, so I can keep it closed except when I expect trade, use that as an airlock of sorts, and/or just trap caravans in there and starve them to death until they die and then steal everything.  I don't really plan that, but it's a nice option to have, especially if some elven "diplomat" mouths off about me cutting down all the trees while they're here.

Meanwhile, at the top, I can cut down up ramps judiciously, forcing anyone who wants to come up to climb around the mountain every level (it goes up about five), meanwhile I can have fortifications to shoot at them through on each level.  Most of my activity is currently on that top level, although I've tried to design it so I can just undesignate all that and leave the military barracks I have currently assigned to overlapping rooms with the dormitory for everyone and the dining room that I also designated as a tavern in the same big room, as well as the throwaway workshops I can deconstruct as I put their replacements on lower levels.

Also there were a few increasingly small levels on the mountain above that largely consisted of coal, so I decided to just get rid of them and mine them all out.  Isn't that what coal companies do, often?  Just knock off the top of a mountain and go in?

So I designated them all to be mined out.

Now, anyone who has done this can guess what happened next.  To say that I have limitations coping with the z-level thing would not be an exaggeration.  I have figured out about this underground, and managed to avoid doing this kind of thing much.

Yes, I dug out one of the lower layers entirely before the rest of it, crashing down every layer above directly onto the miners.  To increase the embarrassment, there had been a minor "cave-in" previously, which had only caused the dwarf in question to be "annoyed."  (There was nearly nothing above him.)  So I thought ha-ha, what an amusing mishap, and didn't correct anything, even though that would have been the time to seriously reevaluate what I was doing.  Two dwarves died, including a legendary miner who was also the manager and bookkeeper.

On the good side, I don't have to think about what to do with those otherwise pointless z-layers.  On the bad side, I'm a complete idiot who literally destroyed much of a mountain out of pure stupidity.

No harm was caused to the main layer where activity is currently ongoing (and where the main entrance to the fortress will eventually be), even though you'd think the top of a mountain collapsing onto it would cause some damage.  Dumb luck there.

Oddly, the overlapping main barracks/tavern/dormitory thing has continuously attracted human migrants, from literally seconds after I designated the dining area as a tavern.  At first, this was mildly annoying, because a string of bards showed up and then most of the fort did nothing for months but constantly listen to poetry and sing.

Also, I started out with humans/elves/dwarves/goblins as neighboring civilizations, with goblins at war.  The only ones of those that currently appear on the civilizations menu, though, are dwarves.  The only other civilization is kobolds, with no details, other than that a couple have shown up to steal stuff but run off when detected.

Also, no outpost liaison.  I have no idea what's going on with that.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:56:51 pm by muldrake »

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #49401 on: January 27, 2017, 05:55:42 pm »

I think its simply because they're so large.

Anyway, I've started a fort in an area where an evil marsh meets a good swamp and a good lake. The evil biome does in fact raise the dead, resulting in one longnose gar corpse getting in a fight with a merchant bodyguard. This map is entirely covered by an aquifer at least 3-4 levels deep, and I've yet to breech this. It includes two sand layers and a conglomerate deposit. This is going to be fun.

In the meantime I've had the dwarves build a wooden building on the surface over their farms.
I do have access to sand and wood so I might as well make glass from it.

Sounds like a very challengig, but fun embark. Good luck with it!
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49402 on: January 27, 2017, 06:01:53 pm »

Ah, got a breeding pair of pandas off the knife ears. Set them up with their own little pasture on the side, hopefully they don't cause any trouble.

Just learned using T I can see what's growing in a farm plot. This has mildly revolutionized my farming.

A forgotten beast has arrived, a three eyed skinless mole with deadly dust. He quickly took combat with the batmen tribe right near his entrance, and has lost two of the three eyes as well as a front right toe. Now he is in combat with a cave dragon, and having his ass kicked. The dragon's busy scratching him to death right now, having only suffered a ton of bruised muscle.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49403 on: January 27, 2017, 07:27:53 pm »

Do you have the bamboo needed for the pandas?

As for my fort, I have been actively selecting what dogs breed. The weaker dogs have to be delt with properly.

On a related note, I have scheduled the construction of a dog soap tower hanging from a cliff. It will be hanging over the lower river. I still need to make the lye, but that's what you clear cut forests for. I will also need a possible use for my soap tower.

Perhaps I could block out the sun with soap?

Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49404 on: January 27, 2017, 07:37:26 pm »

Crap, this place has no bamboo. Forgot they needed that. Will they graze grass at all? Or are they doomed and I wasted those billon earrings and chert bracelets?

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49405 on: January 27, 2017, 09:23:47 pm »

Crap, this place has no bamboo. Forgot they needed that. Will they graze grass at all? Or are they doomed and I wasted those billon earrings and chert bracelets?
AFAIK your pandas are doomed without bamboo, although if they have an owner he may feed them (they'll probably still die, but slower).
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49406 on: January 27, 2017, 10:57:52 pm »

I don't think dwarves can look at anything other than adjacent built furniture, pretty mist, clothes they're wearing and each other. Though it will still make them happier to sleep there. I think the ghastly corpses one can see is pretty much the only exception to "can't admire things without building/wearing".

Ah well. Then they can admire the statues and their beds.

The autumn caravan of 204 has just been raided for all its useful goods in exchange for a few barrels of Steelteacher's finest roasts. The food stockpile is getting juuuust a bit full now. I think I'll need to start separating prepared meals and alcohol from raw ingredients.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49407 on: January 28, 2017, 03:52:56 am »

Wait what? So apparently one half of my map is a sedimentary layer! I've got the stuff to make bronze and iron from my mines, this is great! Hopefully there's some sapphires somewhere, because the humans and dwarves both don't have any. I know from embark there's some form of flux somewhere, so this fort definitely will be laced with steel.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49408 on: January 28, 2017, 06:08:28 am »

No one has died recently! It's a nice change. My militia has finally had time to recover after being repeatedly decimated by a combination of fire breathers and callous disregard for proper water safety. I've also finally pretty much almost finished their fortress. No dwarf who risks their life for the good of all will go without proper bedding. Every other non founder though still sleeps in a dorm in the hall outside the warehouses.

Further down the slop the tower of justice is progressing nicely. 16 cells beneath, and quarters for the guard captain and hammerer above. Also finally moved the kitchens inside.

Currently working on well #3. The first two were destroyed by FBs and contaminated by dwarven corpses.  Often both at once. :-\

Edit: Well shit.
I nominated my Founding Administrator, a founder and the broker/bookeeper/manager, to the position of baron some 3 months prior. Relying on his founder's house to tide him over until I can build him his own wing in the palace I will eventually construct. Well he just had a discussion with local rivals and now he's king. I am not prepared for this. I haven't even started the civilian residential district let alone the temples, or the library, or the palace at the peak. Guess that'll have to change.
In the meantime I'm hoping that if I smooth and engrave the microcline deposit that is the bunker he'll stay calm long enough to build an amazing mountaintop palace in record time.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 07:06:07 am by Pirate Santa »
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49409 on: January 28, 2017, 07:08:19 am »

Fortress got visisted by 30+ zombies and a necromancer. Multiple corpses were lying around outside. My military consisted of 8 dwarves.

Long story short, I'll be starting a new fort tomorrow.
Pages: 1 ... 3292 3293 [3294] 3295 3296 ... 3836