Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3293 3294 [3295] 3296 3297 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5843482 times)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49410 on: January 28, 2017, 11:35:38 am »

tfw you do something idiotic and now every engraving, statue, or any other thing any dwarf ever does is of that idiotic thing.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49411 on: January 28, 2017, 11:37:34 am »

I've got a shield that has an image of it's maker forging it on itself... Does this mean the image of itself has an image of it's forging on it?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49412 on: January 28, 2017, 11:38:32 am »

Likely.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49413 on: January 28, 2017, 12:07:45 pm »

I've got a shield that has an image of it's maker forging it on itself... Does this mean the image of itself has an image of it's forging on it?
It's not like such things don't exist in the real world.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49414 on: January 28, 2017, 03:24:08 pm »

Planepacked, of course, took that to an extreme.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49415 on: January 28, 2017, 11:33:00 pm »

The dwarf makes the shield, then he decides to add the engraving of the making of the shield. That engraving may just show the dwarf working on the shield with a hammer an anvil, or it may be a set of scenes from different times during the construction, showing the dwarf getting the idea, getting rejected by his fellows, laboring by himself with tools, and then offering the shield up to a statue of his grandfather or something. The engraving does not need to be some infinity thing and the shield itself does not need to be the most important thing in the engraving.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49416 on: January 28, 2017, 11:37:09 pm »

Lost like, 80 dwarves in a raid against a few archers and swordsdwarves. Pain in the ass
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49417 on: January 28, 2017, 11:43:29 pm »

My fortress's population increased by 50% after I figured out a solution to my petition problem.
After the mercenary was suddenly attacked by one of the fortress's finest soldiers in the middle of the tavern, the petitions kept flooding in.

Now I have a new issue, what to do with the 40 bards and poets I have.

Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49418 on: January 29, 2017, 12:54:36 am »

I have a chronic case of altitis and a laptop as my primary computer, so Steelteacher has made way for a 2x2 embark and the fortress on it called Claspowner.

It's in untamed wilds. I may have made a mistake.

On the other hand, the dogs I brought are doing what they're supposed to, and my dwarves aren't waiting meekly to be eaten by giant alligators either, so eh. We might have a chance.

But I probably still made a mistake.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49419 on: January 29, 2017, 12:56:51 am »

My fortress's population increased by 50% after I figured out a solution to my petition problem.
After the mercenary was suddenly attacked by one of the fortress's finest soldiers in the middle of the tavern, the petitions kept flooding in.

Now I have a new issue, what to do with the 40 bards and poets I have.

The answer is always magma.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49420 on: January 29, 2017, 01:42:50 am »

I think its simply because they're so large.

Anyway, I've started a fort in an area where an evil marsh meets a good swamp and a good lake. The evil biome does in fact raise the dead, resulting in one longnose gar corpse getting in a fight with a merchant bodyguard. This map is entirely covered by an aquifer at least 3-4 levels deep, and I've yet to breech this. It includes two sand layers and a conglomerate deposit. This is going to be fun.

In the meantime I've had the dwarves build a wooden building on the surface over their farms.
I do have access to sand and wood so I might as well make glass from it.

Sounds like a very challengig, but fun embark. Good luck with it!

I'm gonna have to forget about it, because a raw change after generation is causing crashes. Oh well.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49421 on: January 29, 2017, 01:44:50 am »

Turns out sticking a 60000 dorfbuck artifact armor stand in the king's overlapping rooms was all it took to shot them all up to royal status. Cranking out platinum furniture in the hopes if he has everything he wants he'll stop demanding so many chains.

Also finished the tower of justice at the bottom of the slope, built a small memorial to an unburiable axelord, and finished paving a switchback road up the mountainside.

Next I think we really, really, need to finally construct proper sleeping and dining arrangements for the general populace.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49422 on: January 29, 2017, 02:59:59 am »

Claspowner is going to grow only by births, so I only feel a tiny bit guilty for using the DFHack rejuvenate command to make my starting dwarves all 20. Bloody 10-year gap maximum for dating/marriage...

Also there's a giant sponge in the river. Meh.

Going to be interesting with only seven functional dwarves for the next 12 years of the fort. More, if they take their sweet time getting married. Friggin' 43.03...

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

rosareven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49423 on: January 29, 2017, 03:52:09 am »

I was scanning through my latest migant wave of 33 dwarves (all 33 in one wave bloody hell) for vampire prevention. There are dwarves with previous kills on other dwarves, so instinctively I selected those out for the hunger/thirst test in a burrow. Turned out they all get thirsty like a normal dwarf should, so I let them out. A while later though a fight broke out in the meeting hall. There might have been some loyalty cascade going on among the 33 migrants before they even came to my fort - one of my vampire suspects got punched dead and other dwarves continue to get occasional job cancellation from taunting attacks.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49424 on: January 29, 2017, 05:04:52 am »

Oh boy do I have a story.

I decided to generate a world with lots of evil. Well, I succeeded. Tons of megabeasts, tons of evil land... basically there's a single swatch of good mountains, forests and plains where the one elvish and dwarvish civilization have settled.

My civilization got conquered by one of the three goblin civilizations on this continent fairly early on, but one of the elvish forest retreats (the elvish civilization itself got wiped out by undead dragons and a bronze colossus) is apparently a part of the dwarvish civ. Interestingly, Legends does show a dwarf started living there a few decades after its destruction... but also that said dwarf was killed a few years later.

Anyway: world full of megabeasts, lots of goblins, dwarves who may or may not exist. Yay.

I embarked in haunted badlands and immediately began digging into the nearby hill. I even got all my stuff moved in before evil rains or clouds appeared. Sadly, that's when the undead camels struck.

It was a massacre. Five dwarves, most of them armed and one even armored, fought three of the aggressive artiodactyls. Net result: five dead dwarves, one dead camel. My expedition leader (not the original one, just some guy who got the title when the real one died) was running around screaming, and my surviving miner had walled himself in deep underground.

Turns out the camels couldn't spot Urist McScreamy from their position, and they left. This was great because it meant I had all of my embark stuff now: I wasn't looking forward to trying to keep a lone, equipment-less miner dwarf in an evil desert fed.

My two dwarves quickly finished the almost-completed wall, sealing them off from the outside world. Food was moved further in, corpses stacked in an anteroom. Strangely, none of them seemed to be animating even after several months, so I figured this part of the embark wasn't reanimating.

With my two yaks (who had somehow survived the camel attacks) getting hungry, I decided to slaughter one. Bad idea. Apparently the only reason those dwarves weren't getting back up was that the camels had mangled their bodies. A cleanly killed yak, though? That one's gonna rise.
Pages: 1 ... 3293 3294 [3295] 3296 3297 ... 3836