Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3297 3298 [3299] 3300 3301 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5860335 times)

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49470 on: February 02, 2017, 04:32:58 am »

The Founder/Admin/Baron/King is now the Founder/Admin/Duke/King. He still wants more chains.

Also building a trash compactor to get rid of all these goblin corpses.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49471 on: February 02, 2017, 07:55:37 am »

Combatshield endures, in a sense.

The second year started off well. Three puppies were born, plans were made for a larger fortress deeper underground (the current hodgepodge of rooms, stockpiles and farms just isn't cutting it anymore) and several new gem clusters were unearthed.

Then came the spring migrant wave.

Guess where it entered the map? That's right, next to the undead mule. Turns out that even with its muscles slowly rotting away, mules are fast. The migrant wave consisted of ten dwarves, a boar piglet and a horse foal, but of those only five dwarves reached my fortress entrance.

It didn't end there, though. The mule (who by then had a name and title) got in with them and killed another dwarf and a dog before finally succumbing to a hammer strike from our militia commander.

That still wasn't the end of the disaster, by the way. That dwarf the mule killed in my fortress? He got back up and severely injured a war dog before the commander killed it too.

The surface, too, saw some reanimations. The horse and one of the dwarves apparently died from suffocation after their spines were crushed, which allowed them to rise as undead.

To properly memorialize the dead, a temple-cemetery to the goddess of death, rebirth, persuasion, poetry and inspiration (the only deity of my civilization with more than one sphere) has been constructed. The mule got a slab too: it was the greatest source of death this fortress has ever seen, after all, with ten kills in the four months of its unlife. Even the notorious camels and the hair-smashing miner didn't get more than three kills.

In the end, my fortress population grew by four dwarves, and while reduced in number my dog breeding stock is in no risk of dying out. Mortality rates for dwarves have increased from 40% to 48%, those for dogs from 0% to 20%, and those for livestock remain perfectly stable at 100%.

Don't bring livestock to

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49472 on: February 03, 2017, 04:37:09 pm »

This is perfect!

A possessed Metalsmith is currently at work with an adamantine wafer, bones, two native platinum blocks, two rough emeralds, and plant cloth.

The only way this could have gone better is if he had used the Giant Cave Spider silk I put right next to his workshop. Unfortunately, which type of cloth he picks is determined at the start of the mood, and not by which one is the closest.

I actually noticed that he had adamantine wafers and immediately ordered native platinum blocks to be made. I was lucky, because the lack of blocks in the fortress made him wait long enough for me to notice that he wasn't doing anything for too long, and see that he had taken adamantine wafers. I think I was just in time with having the platinum blocks made. Like, three seconds.

Update: It is an adamantine table! It is worth 918k. I'm putting it in the office of my militia commander.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 04:43:52 pm by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49473 on: February 03, 2017, 05:05:16 pm »

Combatshield endures.

Another migrant group came. Guess what? They entered in the exact same spot the previous ones arrived at, meaning they immediately ran into two murderous zombies, one of which was hooved and seven times a dwarf's size. I didn't even bother opening the gates: the chances of something unwanted running in and killing off my fortress were too big compared to those of one of those doomed dwarves making it through.

The horse has a name and title now after singlehandedly killing off the migrant wave, and a few new zombie dwarves have risen. Say what you want about that mule, at least it had the decency of mangling corpses more often.

In lighter news: my new dining room is finished! It's looking great, with two large tables in different colors and engravings all over. I've also begun digging deeper in search of new ores. I've found galena so far, meaning that my fortress at least has one weaponizable metal right now. I guess silver warhammers aren't the worst weapon against undead, but the lack of armor worries me. Also, I won't have a fuel source until I breach the caverns, which carries its own risks.

At the end of today's session, the caravan arrived. Guess where it entered the map?

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49474 on: February 03, 2017, 05:28:22 pm »

One of my hunting dogs is distracted.

???
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #49475 on: February 03, 2017, 05:35:04 pm »

Currently an epic fight with a Roc is going on in my fortress Dragongranite. Stream link:
One casualty! Excepcional Roc roast anyone?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 05:47:28 pm by Nagidal »
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49476 on: February 03, 2017, 07:54:35 pm »

???

The forgotten beast torching everything in my caverns is distracted.

I've got SO MUCH GOLD though. Gold everything, gold everywhere. Gold cabinets for everyone, gold furniture in the tavern and library, gold statues...

I need more dwarves though. Twenty just doesnt cut it anymore.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #49477 on: February 03, 2017, 08:23:37 pm »

I've got SO MUCH GOLD though. Gold everything, gold everywhere. Gold cabinets for everyone, gold furniture in the tavern and library, gold statues...
That was lead and silver in Bastiongate. Lead bins, lead furniture, gigantic lead pyramid, silver for the important dudes, etc. It came out of the blue when I started running out of lead. I managed to go through about 3,000 bars.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49478 on: February 03, 2017, 08:27:46 pm »

???

The forgotten beast torching everything in my caverns is distracted.

I need more dwarves though. Twenty just doesnt cut it anymore.

This does not sound like a fun place to fall over while you tie your shoelaces without having your head collapse after colliding with a gold floor. Still, gold is classy.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #49479 on: February 03, 2017, 08:32:54 pm »

I've got SO MUCH GOLD though. Gold everything, gold everywhere. avern and library, gold statues...

Let me guess. Is this one of these worlds with mineral occurrence everywhere?
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49480 on: February 03, 2017, 08:59:22 pm »

I did turn up the frequency, yeah, I'm a cheaty bastard and got used to the frequencies before Toady redid the way distribution was handled (which was really high comparatively). Site's got platinum, lignite, gold, and sphalerite on various levels. The gabbro the gold is found in just happens to be immediately above the first cavern, and is mostly solid and easy to get at so I've been mining the shit out of it. Did have a troll and elk bird get in at one point, and since the biome's a resurrecting good biome that troll kept getting back up and wrecking workshops. Had to build a wall around him.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49481 on: February 03, 2017, 10:58:14 pm »

So a werewolf attacked, and two or three people got bitten. I managed to lock up two of them, they both turned but they're contained. Unfortunately I didn't notice one particular visiting bard got bit in the midst of it. He turned in the middle of the tavern, and the ensuing brawl resulted in several more deaths. Next month there were even more of them. More deaths. One more month and the tavern is covered in corpses and blood. I mentioned before this is a resurrecting biome, where everyone who dies will probably come back to life. This is not a good thing.

So now the remaining 24 dwarves are occupied chasing each other and the animals around between the full moons.
I make Spellcrafts!

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49482 on: February 03, 2017, 11:44:48 pm »

So a werewolf attacked, and two or three people got bitten. I managed to lock up two of them, they both turned but they're contained. Unfortunately I didn't notice one particular visiting bard got bit in the midst of it. He turned in the middle of the tavern, and the ensuing brawl resulted in several more deaths. Next month there were even more of them. More deaths. One more month and the tavern is covered in corpses and blood. I mentioned before this is a resurrecting biome, where everyone who dies will probably come back to life. This is not a good thing.

So now the remaining 24 dwarves are occupied chasing each other and the animals around between the full moons.

I wish I could have that much !!FUN!! But all I got was a double team of
A cyclops and a were-bear a few years back. Plus the ettin who found the holes in the ceiling.

Since then, I'v just had to work on my hanging tower of dog soap.

I haven't even breached the first cavern layer after 8 years.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49483 on: February 04, 2017, 12:27:53 am »

I was forced to abandon the fort as the fps plummeted, which I think is a result of the fighting going on or something. Anyway, I'll just send an adventurer in to kill everyone before reclaiming.
I make Spellcrafts!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49484 on: February 04, 2017, 12:47:57 am »

Zounds! A swamp titan! Run everyone, before it ki-............... A freaking river otter just one shot a titan. Scratched it's head and then it was dead.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 3297 3298 [3299] 3300 3301 ... 3836