Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3320 3321 [3322] 3323 3324 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5852939 times)

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49815 on: March 25, 2017, 08:26:34 am »

Started a fortress in a world in which dwarves are basically extinct, with only one dwarf necromancer living. Did the usual and got everything set up, I was lucky enough to have a map with tons of wood hematite and flux stone so I was able to put a proper military together, the first goblin invasion rolls around with about 60 goblins, three casualties, one of which was a dwarf that was bitten by a werebeast, so no real loss there.

Now the second invasion has rolled in, 320 invaders, against my 9 militia, that's over 32 to one, this should be interesting.

edit: Well to my surprise I was able to fight them off, barely, oh so barely, 6 of the 9 militia were killed, unless I manage to get a bunch of mercenaries this fortress will fall in the next siege.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 08:52:08 am by nomoetoe »
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #49816 on: March 25, 2017, 12:10:49 pm »

Started a fortress in a world in which dwarves are basically extinct, with only one dwarf necromancer living. Did the usual and got everything set up, I was lucky enough to have a map with tons of wood hematite and flux stone so I was able to put a proper military together, the first goblin invasion rolls around with about 60 goblins, three casualties, one of which was a dwarf that was bitten by a werebeast, so no real loss there.

Now the second invasion has rolled in, 320 invaders, against my 9 militia, that's over 32 to one, this should be interesting.

edit: Well to my surprise I was able to fight them off, barely, oh so barely, 6 of the 9 militia were killed, unless I manage to get a bunch of mercenaries this fortress will fall in the next siege.

Time to build a cave in trap to fight off the next hoard.

Numeroid

• Bay Watcher
  • Back after a long hiatus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49817 on: March 25, 2017, 04:38:32 pm »

You're the general that the dwarven people deserve. Lead them to victory  :D

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49818 on: March 25, 2017, 05:37:32 pm »

Wow, and how many of the goblins were killed? You might have to get ‼clever‼ with the next lot, since I'm guessing dead civ means no reinforcements are coming except through children growing up.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49819 on: March 25, 2017, 09:02:29 pm »

Wow, and how many of the goblins were killed? You might have to get ‼clever‼ with the next lot, since I'm guessing dead civ means no reinforcements are coming except through children growing up.

In my experience, a dead civilization means that the number of dwarves in the world is small, but not zero. If there are zero dwarves in the world, it typically doesn't let you play.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #49820 on: March 26, 2017, 04:00:20 am »

I think close to 200 of them were killed before they ran off.

Things have been going better than I thought they would, there have been multiple goblin invasions but none of them exceeding 120 invaders, I've built my militia back up with mercenaries and there have been minimal casualties on my side all of which were mercenaries. I've been using a long winding passage so I don't have to deal with all the invaders at once, it has been very effective. but I probably shouldn't rely entirely on that.

Another invasion comes in, about 158 of them primarily goblins, I don't know whether to be disappointed or relieved that none of the invasions have been as massive as the second one.
They were easily repelled, no casualties, I'd like to get another big invasion again, I raised the invader cap awhile back so maybe I will, I doubt it but maybe. Though with each siege its looking like there won't be another big one.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 04:58:27 am by nomoetoe »
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #49821 on: March 26, 2017, 06:41:11 am »

In my experience, a dead civilization means that the number of dwarves in the world is small, but not zero. If there are zero dwarves in the world, it typically doesn't let you play.
exactly. the game warned me on a dying civ that had exactly zero sites. I had almost nothing for the embark, as there were only refugeecamps and no hillocks or mountainhomes anywhere.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49822 on: March 26, 2017, 09:19:32 am »

We had an unfortunate accident with the Piledriver on Gobbo Christmas. I had been so busy getting the megaproject finished that the little modifications we wanted done to the Piledriver only got started during the siege. Naturally, the Piledriver was closed for business.

We wanted a way to correct the enemy pathfinding so as to ensure they always went counter to the Piledriver's direction i.e. always head-on collisions. I figured the simplest way was to simply dig a hole near the ramps: the minecarts fly over it and the gobbos don't.

Turns out, testing the modified Piledriver with all six platinum minecarts was a badFUN idea. Somehow, the first minecart didn't make all the way up out of the trench. This made all the other minecarts to pile up behind it... right on top of the impulse ramps.

At first glance, however, they didn't appear to be moving, thus I thought it was safe to move the carts back to the loading position.

However, move one and you create a hole for the carts to fill, gain speed and... yeah.

Dwarven gore galore.

The infamous Runaway Pendulum MinecartTM.

And because of the many minecarts piled up, it was difficult to notice which one was the runaway. So I adopted the tried and true method: Poke about until it stops. Didn't matter in the end as it turned out all of them were runaways.

Lost 11 dwarves to the ordeal.

In the end, we installed an emergency shunt should we ever get a similar problem again.

In other news, prior to the siege we also had a dwarven caravan spawn in the corpsefield, which had since been moved to an atom smasher, and promptly booked it out of there. Liaison stuck around, though, and didn't seemed to be interested to leave. He had a nasty habit of running around the other minecart shafts and ended up getting himself killed in a rerailer.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49823 on: March 26, 2017, 11:14:31 am »

Well. I think I've cured myself of 2 bad habits over the last couple of fortresses.

1) Clearcutting everything and storing several thousand wood below ground, and trying to keep up with cutting down *all the trees* and storing them all even if I can't keep up with log use

2) Bringing *all the animals* with me on embark--a habit that started when I wanted to make an *ark* on an island where nobody else could reach me in case the civ fell. Especially when I ignore them for ~2 years, and I look up suddenly to realize that I have 230 animals running around, and even with a couple butchers I have difficulty keeping up with the birth rate *and* not wasting any hides.

Next habit to break:

Building Smelter/smith/Wood Burners on the surface (not bringing axe/pick for efficiency's sake--though I plan on keeping the latter part), building up stockpile/piles in the shops of 1-3k bars, then for years afterwards  when I decide to move inside have *Store Item in Stockpile* jobs because there's so much to move inside.

*ditto Early-game all-but-seeds Surface Food Stockpile*

What I'm most annoyed about is that I spent 2 IRL days digging channeling out this MASSIVE hall (intended first to be Dorf-only dining room, then a year in to be the most bad-ass Tavern I could make it), engraving everything on the way down, right next to the waterfall (with fortifications to allow some spray to come in).....and was just starting to work on the massive piles of stone that had built up during the mini-megaproject when DF crashes.

with 3-5 years put into the fort.

And I hadn't saved once.

Still, I was trying to do everything at once, instead of focusing. I do wish I could have used some of that gold. At the end I had something like 1k  gold bars saved up (until I could get a militia going because the gobbos wold probably show up once I started using/exporting the gold).

and I was *just* getting the militia going and fit (afte 3-5 years).......

ah well.

time to make a new world and mod the child maturity rate in half, then start again with a new purpose.

EDIT: I will say, though, that this fort has codified my standard (non-bad-ass/beloved by me) Tomb:

a 1x2 slit into the side of a wall, approaching/inside the tavern or meeting area or temple (that people will pass by), with Legendary Engraving about said Dorf all along.....the Coffin at the back, and a Statue of the entombed in front of the Coffin to prevent shenanigans with tantrumming. If I have time (and mats), Coffin/Statue made out of their favorite materials/color(s). Possibly have the Statue up before they die. Then deconstruct the statue, insert coffin and/or body, rebuild statue.

EEE
SCE
EEE

E=Engraving
S=Statue
C=Coffin

EDIT: new fort. Spent a bit of time on a symbol, which is unusual for me.

http://imgur.com/a/GMrL7

"The Gilded Sieges," the symbol of "The Armory of Amazements" who settled in what would become known as the Fortress "Earthsavages" in the Year 2.

I hereby predict that because I did all kinds of bad things to Goblins in the symbol, it will be demolished in a Goblin siege in year 2 or 3.

EDIT: hrm. no hemp nor WEED_BLADE--er, blade weed. I may have been using getplants too much. 

I do have Hide Root (yay dyes), but I don't have the non-evil dye trifecta this time around, nor do I have a surface cloth plant.

And I only have Cassiterite showing on the surface, AND I have Alligators/Alligator Men in the river.

On the other hand, I have both Lignite AND Bituminous Coal deposits showing, and my bridges (more specifically the Cage Traps I throw up next to the Bridges) over the rivers always produce all kinds of interesting animals to train and/or butcher.

EDIT2:

Aaaaaand slaughtered within a month by 3 Alligator Men.

so much for that.

EDIT3: New fort symbol: An Image of Dwarves and Stones. The Dwarves are striking a triumphant pose. The Stones are falling.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 01:36:57 pm by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Vanux

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49824 on: March 26, 2017, 02:19:03 pm »

this post is a double
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 02:26:57 pm by Vanux »

Vanux

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49825 on: March 26, 2017, 02:25:45 pm »

I've been working on this for a while. Multiple fire-related FBs. It's a pain.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/c9d4qk724jyvh4c/region1.rar

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49826 on: March 26, 2017, 03:51:58 pm »

Wow. the Aquifer on this Embark is a PITA.

It's in the Flux layer I can see. that better not be the only source of Flux, or I'mma be pissed.

welp..

time to get my big boy pants on and try breaching the Aquifer without cave-ins for the first time ever.

*goes to the Aquifer wiki page and reads up on Double Slit method*
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #49827 on: March 26, 2017, 05:47:18 pm »

Currently starving a dwarf to death for having a mood that created a crappy wood puzzlebox.

EDIT: Nvm related to too many others
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 06:27:50 pm by overseer05-15 »
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49828 on: March 26, 2017, 09:10:53 pm »

Currently starving a dwarf to death for having a mood that created a crappy wood puzzlebox.

EDIT: Nvm related to too many others

Unless he was possessed, he should at least be a legendary woodcrafter. Just saying.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49829 on: March 27, 2017, 12:01:52 am »

Unless he was possessed, he should at least be a legendary woodcrafter. Just saying.

Yeah, but no one makes wooden crafts. Stone and bone all the way.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 3320 3321 [3322] 3323 3324 ... 3836