Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3325 3326 [3327] 3328 3329 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861318 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49890 on: April 10, 2017, 10:27:27 am »

We still have no metal but adamantine. We await a glazier to construct traps.

Meanwhile, our one military dwarf has been tirelessly battling an unconscious panda with a training axe for several days. It is somewhat less effective than fists, teeth or fingernails.
One wheel short of a wagon

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49891 on: April 10, 2017, 10:44:38 am »

Thank the Miners! We now have access to magma-powerred forges!

......it only took one brief mega-flood that required some inventive mining due to aquifers showing up all over the place, fortifications on the edge of the map, some hasty pumping, and a hastily-erected wall to ensure that we could continue vertical movement through the fort.

On the plus side, we now have an excellent spot for farming (and, with some creative (b-C-) f looring, (and a raisable bridge) we can easily make pastures down near the magma forges, allowing us to move entirely from the surface--and just that much MORE time to prepare for goblin sieges.

Speaking of, haven't seen any green-skins yet. But, following up in our tradition of as few cage traps as possible, we have a few weapon traps and three militia dwarves clad entirely in steel, with steel spears. Our overseer was a little leery about switching from axes and short swords, but the spears have done quite well in severing body parts in tests with elk birds and crundles that trapped themselves in our magma reservoir (and who quite nicely died there, allowing their remains to be vaporized when magma was pumped in for our metal/clay/glass industries.

So far our cage traps have only captured a Raven. Though the elves brought us a giant Emu.

EDIT: I also ignored my furnace operators for a while, and over the course of several months they produced about a thousand bars of charcoal.

on an embark with lots of lignite.

and I now have magama smelters.

I think my steel production will be in excellent shape for the next while.

Giant Ostriches caged.....check. I may mod them to be war/hunting trainable because Attack Giant Ostriches sounds amazing. In fact, personal headcanon may get me to change every [Giant] creature to be war/hunting trainable because they're Giant.

.....ELEPHANTS?

GET IN THE CAGES! I MUST HAVE YOU AND YOUR BABIES FOR WAR ANIMALS

EDIT: Just caught a Lion Woman.

If I ever catch a Lion Man, I'm gonna set 'em up in a breeding room somewhere, and/or see if I can find a way to unleash them against invaders, after they pass the weapon traps but before they reach my dwarves.

.....my militia almost killed a giant lion instead of herding it into the cage traps like they were spposed to.

still.

just need a female giant lion now, and we're off to the races.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:17:55 pm by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49892 on: April 10, 2017, 03:01:51 pm »

Wow, echidnas + training axes is an amazing training technique. My militiadwarf now has insane physicals. Though not very high skills, for some reason. And it keeps the fort safe from other animals...

Edit: the elves brought a giant wolf. Their caravan will be allowed to live this year...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 03:10:43 pm by NJW2000 »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #49893 on: April 10, 2017, 04:25:31 pm »

Moved a load of searing metal from the local vault to the spot I was planning to build a fortress on. The only downside is that the game, for some reason, said that I am not allowed to start with an anvil of any kind. Not sure why this glitch happened, but I guess I am just gonna wait for the first caravan before I can smelt that searing metal and duplicate the heck out of it.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49894 on: April 10, 2017, 05:08:53 pm »

First siege of this fort.

Unlike last time where I lost 2/3 of my dwarves before mysterious cancellation spam doomed the fort to abandonment, I have 7 militia dwarves, instead of 3. all are fully outfitted in steel (whereas before they were in iron, and some were missing pieces), and this time they're being burrowed to the Forge, and the metalsmiths are pumping out armor and weaponry in case the weapon traps and militia all fail me, and the civilians are called on to defend the fortress.

I do regret the death of one of my dwarves, who charged a poisonous bite forgotten beast when he spotted it before I meant for him to. And attacked it, unsupported. He did managed to badly mangle it, and when the other dwarves showed up it was quickly dispatched.

So. I have exactly zero cage traps on my entrance, and no windy entrance this time, either.

However, the goblins will have to make it past 3 Masterpiece-Mechanism weapontraps, with 8 masterpiece Large, Serrated Blades (either Steel or Glass). Once they do, they will have to fight my 3 speardwarves and 4 hammerdwarves (once they get decent skill levels with hammers, they're switching over to marksdorfs).

And if they decide they've had enough and try to run away, they've got to make it BACK through the weapon traps.

:D

The sheep and horses who have been breeding indiscriminately are basically all a total loss, though. not that I've really cared. HOPEFULLY the named cats will get slaughtered, since they're still guarding the food from vermin. Fortunately I have way too many dogs and cats in a cage to replace them, though.

seriously?

One Axegobbo gets a guest appearance on "Will it Blend," and another steps onto a cage trap, and they all run away?

BOO!

bring your balls with you next time.

......we will turn them into a delicious prepared food, and sell them to the elves.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 05:18:48 pm by Maul_Junior »

there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49895 on: April 10, 2017, 08:03:24 pm »

Wait, there are wizards now?

Only necromancers, unless you mod the game. I'm making a mod right now and was teaching a couple dorfs the spells available in it and testing things.

Anyway, the dwarven fireball survived her experience with only missing all the fat on her upper body, and her favorite robe.
We were then attacked by a giant, and the wizards, as well as the rest of the crossbow squad, injured it badly enough it lost consciousness. A couple woodworkers were emboldened and climbed down to ground level somehow to attack it. I had to let the melee squad out to make sure it died before it managed to injure them.

I've found adamantine in the third cavern, and started mining a bit off the top. The fortress is up to ~110 dorfs, about 28 are children. Another child grew up and I drafted him and a 14-year-old girl that migrated to train as wizards too. I also got two metal warrior divine secret knowers, but havent gotten them to write any books about their secret knowledge, which is unfortunate. The one seems obsessed with solar and lunar years and the other spends all his time in the barracks doing personal drills, even when the squad is off-duty.

Booze production is finally enough to keep up with consumption. For whatever reason we kept running out of either plants or barrels, then the single still couldnt keep up, then two stills couldnt keep up, and now finally a third still is enough to manufacture thousands of surplus in only a few months.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49896 on: April 10, 2017, 08:22:10 pm »

.....that makes TWO dwarves that have died, I think 4 dwarves total, that have jumped down the 11-Z waterfall trying to reach the reclaimed bolt at the bottom of the waterfall before I could figure out what was going on.

One of them was a Legendary+5 Carpenter.

That really, REALLY hurts when my soft cap is 35 dorfs.

......time to dam the river, claim their bodies, and do some land-scaping.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49897 on: April 10, 2017, 10:59:51 pm »

Wow, echidnas + training axes is an amazing training technique. My militiadwarf now has insane physicals. Though not very high skills, for some reason. And it keeps the fort safe from other animals...

Edit: the elves brought a giant wolf. Their caravan will be allowed to live this year...
Is the Echidna unconscious? I don't think you get skill for attacking an unconscious foe. Although if you have multiple dwarves attacking the same guy then I think they'll still get observer skill from watching eachother beat the crap out of it.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49898 on: April 10, 2017, 11:46:09 pm »

.....I just had a strange thought.

Is it possible to make goblins breed in captivity?

No before you call me a goblin lover, hear me out. I'm not talking about inducting them into the civilization, modding the raws to make them hunting/war trainable or anything like that.

No no no.

What I mean is have a few captive goblins of opposite gender chained up together surrounded by cage traps (after using DFhack gaydar on them), letting them breed, their offspring grow to adulthood, and then using said offspring as training targets for new recruits.

However, in my internet search, there is also some speculation that any child born to goblins would be hostile to said goblins. If this is true, then such a child would be invaluable. It would be given copper arms and armor, being careful not to let it near dwarves who wold probably either tear it to shreds or run away screaming, and Danger Roomed.

Then it would be unleashed against a Goblin siege. At which point it would either rip the enemies to shreds, or turn on the dwarves and become !!Fun!!

1) Racism against physical race is not a thing in DF. If you get a gobbo in your tavern, nobody will kill it. If it wants to join your fort, it can, and it can do quite well. There are epic stories of non-dorf Kings of the Dwarves, and this even before tavern guests were added. This also happens to other races -- there was just a post about an Elven diplomat who happened to be a Dwarf.

2) Breeding intelligent creatures requires marriage, so you'd need to capture an already married gobbo couple. I'm not sure that happens, and I don't think I've ever read a report of non-Dwarves getting married and breeding, even in forts designed to be multiracial.

3) Racism against non-citizens is very much part of DF, and last time I checked DF granted citizenship based on the site where you're born. So the newborn and his mom might try to kill each-other.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49899 on: April 11, 2017, 02:19:41 am »

nuuuuuuuuuuuh!!!!!!!

saved in mid-spring because I looked at the clock and realized how late/early it is.

game crashed.

I guess that means I'll have a second chance to unload the frankly ludicrous amount of crap I'm not using on the Elves, and this time make sure NOT to offer them wood.

Also a second chance for another, decent animal.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49900 on: April 12, 2017, 01:29:20 pm »

Full squad of steel-armed axedwarves. No armor yet, but they should be an effective enough random-flailing mincing machine to eviscerate weaker targets without great risk to themselves.

Also, third gem artifact. Out of three. Yay.

TheInquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49901 on: April 14, 2017, 11:53:39 am »

I had two were-infected dwarves walled off from the rest of the fort. Finally, one killed the other. Now I've got one dwarf starving and thirsting every month until he transforms. I'm considering infecting a bunch of dwarves, storing them individually, and weaponizing them.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49902 on: April 14, 2017, 03:17:14 pm »

A gorlak crossbowman is visiting, and he's petitioning for residency as a mercenary.

What do you think? Is he insane?
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49903 on: April 14, 2017, 05:10:46 pm »

A gorlak crossbowman is visiting, and he's petitioning for residency as a mercenary.

What do you think? Is he insane?
I think he likes your tavern and all the free booze.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49904 on: April 14, 2017, 09:47:18 pm »

My militia finally slew the last of the accumulated prisoners of the ongoing war with the goblins. If the goblin civ weren't...well, literally dedicated to evil...I'd probably just let all but the leader go and hold the leader, but since they've been on a genocidal blitz across the continent, *somewhere* has to be a bastion against them.

The militia then proceeded down to the second cavern layer, where they easily dispatched Cona, that barren cave's sole surviving Forgotten Beast. In the early years of the fort, before I had enough steel to properly outfit the militia, half a dozen Forgotten Beasts arrived in the second cavern layer in quick succession (well, months apart, anyway). Of all these beasts, Cona was the last left standing. It then spent the next several years picking a fight with absolutely anything that moved in the second cavern layer. The floor of that particular cavern is littered with literally hundreds of corpses; as my military explored the layer after slaying its guardian, the fort's dead count jumped from 800 to 1500.

A couple of masterful candy suits of armor (well, the bits of armor you actually want to be made of candy) and a small stock of masterful, bladed candy weapons are finished, and about 20 full suits of candy clothing as well. Now that dfhack is back, candy clothing is a viable option again, since it can fix the candy clothing decaying bug. One day, this whole fortress will be clad in glorious, olamic bluemetal, which shall be passed down dwarf to dwarf ad aeternum.

The Great Library continues to grow; it is home to many masterfully-written volumes of scientific interest.

Fortress-born children are finally beginning to grow up, so soon I'll have a new horde of workers to finish the Great Wall and soldiers to defend it, not to mention scholars to bolster the library's stacks.
Pages: 1 ... 3325 3326 [3327] 3328 3329 ... 3836