Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3330 3331 [3332] 3333 3334 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5838814 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49965 on: April 21, 2017, 11:03:59 am »

Been playing this game for four years now, and I've finally gotten my first artifact again... A turkey bone scepter, with a picture of the artist on it. It may be worth less than a single gold masterwork, but it is infinitely priceless.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49966 on: April 21, 2017, 01:31:32 pm »

Our mayor (unelect), manager, bookkeeper and broker became queen after a polite discussion with local rivals. I take this to mean that the goblins destroyed the feeble mountainhome. Hopefully they march on Minedsummers.

Also, perhaps relatedly, the outpost liason who has been hanging around an empty temple the past year became a mayor. Not sure which settlement though: he isn't on the [c ]ivilisations screen anywhere.
One wheel short of a wagon

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49967 on: April 21, 2017, 01:56:56 pm »

Edit: On another note, does anyone know how to recover items in a river? The river doesn't freeze as it's in a hot biome.
This leads to that.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49968 on: April 21, 2017, 02:27:59 pm »

This is new to me. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Note that Professor is a custom profession I gave to a dwarf.

I've seen it in legends mode, with authors/entertainers.  I haven't seen it in fortress mode yet though.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49969 on: April 21, 2017, 10:05:39 pm »

Currently under siege by a one winged undead Roc... Damned thing is somehow flying with only one wing, not sure how the hell it's doing that. The marksdwarves are somehow missing every bolt, so I called them off as to not waste more steel. Currently it's snatching at hippos in the river, pretty easily killing them.

In other news, the captive necromaner is being moved away from the public square as apparently the butcher drags kills through there.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:08:51 pm by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Curious Key

• Bay Watcher
  • Stumbling belligerence-first through life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49970 on: April 22, 2017, 03:48:06 am »

Currently under siege by a one winged undead Roc... Damned thing is somehow flying with only one wing, not sure how the hell it's doing that. The marksdwarves are somehow missing every bolt, so I called them off as to not waste more steel. Currently it's snatching at hippos in the river, pretty easily killing them.

In other news, the captive necromaner is being moved away from the public square as apparently the butcher drags kills through there.

That Roc was an athlete from a young age, suffering a tragic accident while fishing one warning, and losing its wing to carp.

But despite what doctors told it, it didn't give up on its athletic dreams!

It's a heartwarming tale of overcoming limitations.

Either that, or you're just shooting it too much and it's continually *dodging* upwards.....

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49971 on: April 22, 2017, 11:43:05 am »

That Roc was an athlete from a young age, suffering a tragic accident while fishing one warning, and losing its wing to carp.

But despite what doctors told it, it didn't give up on its athletic dreams!

It's a heartwarming tale of overcoming limitations.

Either that, or you're just shooting it too much and it's continually *dodging* upwards.....

It's like a little murderous undead nemo.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49972 on: April 22, 2017, 01:54:07 pm »

I keep finding new stuff, at least new to me, even though this release is almost a year old. I just found a new type of visitor.

The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49973 on: April 22, 2017, 02:31:48 pm »

First migrant wave comes in from atop a hill, and thanks to multilevel view I notice something ... odd in the trees.

That is to say, that ten different animals had somehow all found themselves trapped atop this tree, with one more hen and turkey on the next tree over. I have no idea how they got there.

[edit] I decided that cutting the tree down would be a faster way of getting the animals down than going through the effort of building a scaffold. After all, it was just one z-level up, yeah?

It could've gone worse.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 03:11:56 pm by Loyal »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49974 on: April 22, 2017, 06:27:20 pm »

First migrant wave comes in from atop a hill, and thanks to multilevel view I notice something ... odd in the trees.

That is to say, that ten different animals had somehow all found themselves trapped atop this tree, with one more hen and turkey on the next tree over. I have no idea how they got there.
They usually get up there by "dodging" away from scary things. So if some keas fly low to try to steal something, your aggressive units might attack (dogs or military dwarfs), but your not-yet-aggressive units (grazers/civilians) will be startled and dodge. Dodging can leave guys all over the place, trapped. If you are embarked right under a tree, building a 2 z's staircase adjacent to a tree is a good precaution.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #49975 on: April 23, 2017, 02:48:12 pm »

After nearly 6 years, Halldistance had it's first caravan and migrant wave. Only 4 migrants, and my outer works had ended up blocking access to the Depot for the wagons (note to self, 5 tile wide roads only, and make sure to smooth over any boulders), but still. This netted the fort it's first Barony, helped rebuild the dwindling military slightly, and gave me a prohibition to exporting crowns. For the first time in 8 years, the population has broken 100. About time for a dragon or other critter to approach and cull the population. It'll have to be a dragon, other megabeasts have fallen like flies to the hardened core of the Halldistance military.

*EDIT* I was right. A flying Hill Titan with a poisonous bite walked up just as I posted that. He engaged one of the new recruits on the incomplete roof of the keep, was taken off the edge, fell 4 levels down, and was killed. The recruit walked away with a cut hand.

Most incoming dwarves have been traumatized as they come in on the eastern slopes. Right above the killing fields where about 2 dozen sieges died, and it still soaked with blood and vomit. They pass by the eastern cave where I toss the corpses to rot. 

I also got my first elven diplomat in the spring of the 12th year. He was less than thrilled that I'd turned an idyllic forest into a massive pond, and continually clearcut the remaining trees except those growing on top of the failed tree farm's roof. I had collapsed a section down to the lower levels, but instead of trees growing down there, they grow on top of the floor built over the hole. 

*EDIT 2* 12 Years in...

I channeled out most of the northern half of the map, turning it into a massive lake. So far, it's claimed two werebeasts who drowned when they turned back while underwater, several elves during a siege, and 5 dwarves during a skirmish with a bronze colossus. I actually gained FPS after doing this, but it took 7 years and countless steps.

I did leave a tree farm, since the one I collapsed earlier has not had anything growing in it. That now serves as a statue garden, and the entrance to the Duchess' manor. Roads circle the northern edges of the map, as well as cross in front of the fortress' north wall. Above this level is fairly empty, mostly mines, and some more terraforming to fit 5-wide roads still being built. There's also the massive corpse stockpiles to the south, along with the fortress production center. A smallish tavern (with an inn below it) and the main barracks rests above ground. Of the 122 dwarves and  others residing there, 86 are full time military, 24 are civilians who serve only 1 month a year in a reserve squad, 8 are entertainers, and 4 are children. I have enough masterwork iron and steel to outfit the entire population.

Kitchens, farms, and assorted industries. With a small inn dug into a side passage.

The crypts. Most are full. A number of the original 186 dwarves that died during the fort's first existence were ignored; no one would bury them. That's why there are so many slabs.

Residential section, with a hospital, library, Duchess' manor, shrines for each of the 7 dieties plus an extra for anyone, and what will eventually be a Royal manor and throne room. I have direct housing for 226 population, each with table, chair, cabinet, and chest. The most useless dwarf has decent quarters. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 07:21:22 pm by azrael4h »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49976 on: April 23, 2017, 10:32:10 pm »

Just trying to figure out how to force animal people claimed with tweak makeown to become histfigs, so I can use them as breeding stock.  They wont have relations vectors if they are not histfigs, because reasons. As such, they will never marry, and thus never produce children/lay fertile eggs.

So far, the best option seems to be using them in the military so they claim a historical kill. That will make them important, and the system will create a histfig entry for them. At least in theory.

My fortress mega project is nearing completion, and I scored several great horned owl people with makeown. I want to use them as scribes and scholars in the massive library project I am going to undertake, just for the amusing value of owl people scholars-- but animal people generated as wild encounters are not histfigs, and thus will never marry, etc. 

Does anyone know of a simple and elegant way to elevate a nonhistfig sentient to histfig status?

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #49977 on: April 24, 2017, 08:29:44 am »

A massive hoard of undead just attacked my fort. As usual I always set up a functioning military one year later than I should, so I just resigned myself to closing the floodgate. But I realized that there were three necromancers running ahead of the 50+ zombies, so I just let them get captured in the cage traps before closing up. Unfortunately this meant that I had to let two zombies in as well.

I thought I could just throw them in a pit with some troglodytes and watch the chaos, but the game apparently doesn't work like that. It turns out that zombies, unlike ettins, minotaurs, and all other more dangerous creatures, cannot simply be dragged from cage to cage. They attack as soon as they have freedom, and impale your expedition leader because you forgot to disarm the undead. Dang it.

Guess I'm gonna play with three necromancers.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49978 on: April 24, 2017, 09:23:57 am »

Legendary warriors without exploits, the start of a castle, loads of half-finished masonry for dramatic battles, the caverns walled off, full steel battle axes for everyone, marksdwarves with masterwork crossbows and metal bolts, a tower specifically for them to fire from towering over the embark, and enough weapon traps for some fun without it being a senseless massacre.

Naturally, no goblins, no FBs, nothing. War has been (hopefully) provoked with the elves by offering them wood and seizing goods.
One wheel short of a wagon

triskaideka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49979 on: April 24, 2017, 11:11:31 am »

An above ground wood fort that's striking it rich with sapphires, rubies, and native gold without even having managed to get past the damn aquifer yet. Only lost a dog to a rattlesnake so far in this tropical hellhole, but I'm the only civ on this continent, so the moat, walls, and drawbridges are probably overkill.

Probably.

Oh who am I kidding, something horrible is going to show up and murder us all.

EDIT: Something horrible turned out to be a drawbridge. Well, at least it was only a peasant.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:24:05 am by triskaideka »
Pages: 1 ... 3330 3331 [3332] 3333 3334 ... 3836