Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3331 3332 [3333] 3334 3335 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854898 times)

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49980 on: April 24, 2017, 03:17:48 pm »

A massive hoard of undead just attacked my fort. As usual I always set up a functioning military one year later than I should, so I just resigned myself to closing the floodgate. But I realized that there were three necromancers running ahead of the 50+ zombies, so I just let them get captured in the cage traps before closing up. Unfortunately this meant that I had to let two zombies in as well.

I thought I could just throw them in a pit with some troglodytes and watch the chaos, but the game apparently doesn't work like that. It turns out that zombies, unlike ettins, minotaurs, and all other more dangerous creatures, cannot simply be dragged from cage to cage. They attack as soon as they have freedom, and impale your expedition leader because you forgot to disarm the undead. Dang it.

Guess I'm gonna play with three necromancers.

You can deconstruct the cage and then drag the whole cage around. That's what I do with undead - capture them in a cage, the cage gets hauled to the animal stockpile, then I construct a cage (by selecting that specific one as the material) in my training room, connect it to a lever, and then pull the lever to release the undead for archer practice.

The cage can also be dumped and atom-smashed with all contents.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #49981 on: April 24, 2017, 08:47:09 pm »

You can deconstruct the cage and then drag the whole cage around. That's what I do with undead - capture them in a cage, the cage gets hauled to the animal stockpile, then I construct a cage (by selecting that specific one as the material) in my training room, connect it to a lever, and then pull the lever to release the undead for archer practice.

The cage can also be dumped and atom-smashed with all contents.

Ah! I didn't know you could do that! I did just resort to claiming all of their weaponry and then atom smashing them, but there are still a load of undead outside and at least half of them have filled up my outdoors cage traps. Thanks for the help!

By the way, did I mention that I embarked near three towers? Granted, this is the mythical monsters mod that adds about ten new types of tower dwelling wizards, but it's still a pretty cool embark.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #49982 on: April 24, 2017, 11:49:35 pm »

After 15 years at Halldistance, I had my first birth. I also moved all metalworking to the magma level, and installed minecart tracks to connect the lower fort, upper fort, and forge level together. My first time using minecarts, so it's been an experience. I've also prepared a hall in order to tap into the adamantine. The lower fort is being expanded to be completely self sufficient, because why not? It has it's own military squads (40 strong), kitchens, stills, farms, etc... I've even built a selection of workshops.

After 3 relatively peaceful years in which the sieges were pathetic, with small numbers of unarmored recruits being sent, I got my first real siege in several years. As my troops went in piecemeal, I lost a good 7 dwarves. Each essentially stalled the siege bythemselves for several long moments, and at least one dwarf, a spearmaster, killed 6 elves and humans before falling to sheer numbers. Once the bulk of my fighting force (at least those squads ordered in, I have over 120 full time soldiers now, with every adult dwarf in the fortress armed and armored full time) hit, it was over. I lost more than twice the dwarves in this fight than the prior 5 years combined.

Masons are now working non-stop to find something to do with all this stone. Statues, furniture, etc... I've also gotten enough artifact furniture to set up royal quarters, should the caravan unbug itself long enough to become mountainhome. I'm certain I have the roads and value, but with the caravans stuck off the maps edge, I can't get the offerings in. That also means few to no migrants, which I probably would just conscript anyway.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49983 on: April 25, 2017, 02:01:46 am »

Ah! I didn't know you could do that! I did just resort to claiming all of their weaponry and then atom smashing them, but there are still a load of undead outside and at least half of them have filled up my outdoors cage traps. Thanks for the help!
You can also set up a Mass Pitting system for dumping live-training opponents into a room from above. Then put a caged necromancer off to the side behind a raisable bridge and your squads training there will get a workout. Add safety precautions as you think are needed!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49984 on: April 25, 2017, 06:03:02 am »

I've had lord/lady consorts visiting before, but I just had the King Consort visit.

I feel honored.
He came back, and just applied for residency as a performer.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
  • 5crownik007 cancels Homework, playing Dwarf Fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #49985 on: April 25, 2017, 06:05:54 am »

I've had lord/lady consorts visiting before, but I just had the King Consort visit.

I feel honored.
He came back, and just applied for residency as a performer.
Even the king consort needs to dance/sing/rock out every once in awhile.
https://i.gyazo.com/a2e73b4fe5612640aacbe46cb4c78740.gif
The Soviet invasion of the Reich fort in arena. Soviets won despite... that.
---------------------------
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49986 on: April 25, 2017, 08:01:11 am »

Edit: On another note, does anyone know how to recover items in a river? The river doesn't freeze as it's in a hot biome.
After the events that made me ask this question, I'm building an advanced river-draining system to recover items more easily.

The way it works is by dividing the river into five sections, which are each seperated by floodgates. The upstream section cannot be recovered because, you know, it is upstream and water will continously be added in that section. So I've tried to make that section as small as possible. I could have just put floodgates right at the start of the river and wait season after season for the river to drain, which is what I had to do initially, but that takes far too long and it is not complex enough to be a truly Dwarven innovation.

Since I'm in a hot biome, I could just end this system here and every time I need to recover an item in a particular section, just close up that section and wait for it to evaporate, or close only the upstream floodgate of that section and wait for the water to drain away. But since the worst-case wait for that is half a year (even when using both ideas), that's not going to happen.

So I dug out pipes for each section and added a floodgate to that pipe, allowing me to drain that section into the caverns by another series of pipes. These section pipes all merge into a single, drop-down-to-death chasm going straight into the caverns. Now because of the way they merge, there's a chance that one pipe might flow into another. We can't have that, so I put screw pumps at the points where the pipes merge to act as diodes and prevent flowing in the wrong direction. These pumps require power and such I built a windmill farm on the surface and a complex power-dividing system below it, which currently serves to divide power to exactly two devices - the millstone, and my new creation.

Mostly useless, at best to recover a XXpig tail sockXX, but it is a truly Dwarven innovation in my eyes.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

triskaideka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49987 on: April 25, 2017, 09:46:16 am »

After the events that made me ask this question, I'm building an advanced river-draining system to recover items more easily.

SNIP

Mostly useless, at best to recover a XXpig tail sockXX, but it is a truly Dwarven innovation in my eyes.

While I'm not one to stand in the way of Dwarven engineering, wouldn't it be simpler to build a bridge over the most up-river part of the river, build some pumps on those, hook them up to a dwarven water reactor, and simply pump the river back into itself?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49988 on: April 25, 2017, 11:12:06 am »

My current Fortress came under siege from a army of mostly Goblins on Beak Dogs plus a hand full of Trolls.  I closed up my Fortress and waited.  Now, a few of my guests wanted out.  One Dwarf, a scholar carrying a book, wanted out.  And after a few minutes of watching the enemy run about the surface I noticed him on the surface.  Well, crap - he found a way out.  Where?  WHERE?!?!

So I finally found a hole in the surface.  It was right over a hallway in my pen section.  Where I bred the birds.  Oh good I thought.

The Trolls found it and three dropped in.  I sent the Squads after them but pictured my Dwarfs/Humans/Elves/Goblins being torn apart.

The Trolls were butchered.  One unarmed citizen, a Planter, was killed.  But it was totally one-sided.   :)

We cleaned up the mess and I waited for the Horde to pour into the hole.  They didn't. It was if they did not know it we there.   ???

Then another Troll come down the hole and he panicked.  It was as if he fell in by accident.  And he was butchered.   ::)

Then, right after we cleaned up that mess ANOTHER Troll fell in.   >:(

And was butchered.  At this point I am starting to wonder if the Horde is, in fact, that dangerous.   :-\

But, no, I will not be charging out.  Because much of those mounted Goblins have crossbows.  So what I have been doing is waiting them out while digging tunnels and arrow-slits around the hills above my Fortress.  Once the Siege is over I will go outside and complete the defenses by removing the ramps blocking them and making moats to keep enemies away from them.

I also have a tower with arrow-slits but it is in the wrong spot to do anything. 

Funny enough some of my cage traps and stone traps have done their work.  Two Goblins are now in cages along with three Beak Dogs (one of which was wounded by a stone trap).

And while I wait for them to go away I am also waiting for more of them to drop in.   :P
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49989 on: April 25, 2017, 12:15:48 pm »

While I'm not one to stand in the way of Dwarven engineering, wouldn't it be simpler to build a bridge over the most up-river part of the river, build some pumps on those, hook them up to a dwarven water reactor, and simply pump the river back into itself?
That's what I did the first time around (except with dwarf-power instead of water-reactors) and yes, it was simpler, but the wait is too long.

2nd post merged:
This guy.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 01:11:52 pm by latias1290 »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #49990 on: April 25, 2017, 01:16:25 pm »

That makes perfect sense.

If the world is always at war, then a peaceful day becomes a precious thing. In a time of struggle, a moment of respite is a magical thing, a for opportunity and desperate growth. When there is no struggle, Peace becomes a byword for boredom and ennui.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49991 on: April 25, 2017, 01:24:31 pm »

This guy.

A man of a violent and excitable nature who enjoys constantly golfing...

Nope, lost my train of thought.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #49992 on: April 25, 2017, 01:40:37 pm »

That makes perfect sense.

If the world is always at war, then a peaceful day becomes a precious thing. In a time of struggle, a moment of respite is a magical thing, a for opportunity and desperate growth. When there is no struggle, Peace becomes a byword for boredom and ennui.
That definitely makes sense as to why these aren't conflicting values in-game. Hmm.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49993 on: April 25, 2017, 04:14:33 pm »

Two mathematicians got into a knock-down, drag-out fight as I started the game.

Year 11 is almost done. After slaying every human visitor to the fort last year, the fort's tavern very quickly refilled with human mendicants. Pah.

I've begun construction on a building in the form of an arch over the road. It's three stories high so far, and growing.

I assigned 10 doers-of-all-unskilled-jobs to mine, as well, and have begun the process of stripping away the surface around the fort. Meanwhile, the weaponsmith is busy making more masterful steel picks.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #49994 on: April 25, 2017, 04:53:57 pm »

After about a month or two of this undead siege, a werepanther appeared seemingly out of nowhere and immediately got killed by the undead. What confuses me is this: where did the werepanther come from? I never got any kind of announcement or anything about its appearance, and I only found out because of the reports. Makes no sense. If I had to guess, one of these zombies was an undead werepanther, but if that were the case it wouldn't have been hostile to the zombies, right?
Pages: 1 ... 3331 3332 [3333] 3334 3335 ... 3836