Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3333 3334 [3335] 3336 3337 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5852338 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50010 on: April 29, 2017, 04:29:33 pm »

How do you folks normally show pics of your fort and its items, anyway? Just use the Snipping tool and go to an image uploading website?

Because that seems like too much work :P

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50011 on: April 29, 2017, 04:39:01 pm »

I've had intermittent problems with the scroll wheel on multiple sites but generally tab specific. Wonder if its a browser related issue instead (I'm using Chrome). Usually happens when I go and refresh a page before it has fully loaded or go back to a page while another was loading.

I too use Chrome, but have never had this problem on any other website.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50012 on: April 29, 2017, 04:48:50 pm »

Doing a reclaim fort this time. Upon arrival some horrifying screams were heard below, and when I zoomed to the location a group of some twenty clowns were squeezing themselves through a hole in the floor in the forges area. However, no route to the Circus is visible, and the mini-clown car isn't getting any reinforcements as far as I can tell.

Some flash high-speed carpentry prevented their spread to upper fortress, and now they are swimming happily in the magma sea. This means doing anything with magma in this fort will certainly provide lots of fun and challenges.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50013 on: April 30, 2017, 12:47:50 am »

God dammit... I have a female cave dragon and a male regular dragon.... Sitting in the same room, chumming about... I'm mentally slamming their faces together and shouting LOVE EACH OTHER!!! every time the cave dragon pops out some infertile eggs... I want a breeding program like my old roc one, or Archcrystal's! The eight forbidden cave dragon eggs sitting in the temple just serve to taunt me...

Update: Dammit... A Purgatory Wolf arrived, killing the human caravan it popped up beside in just a couple claws and bites each. The gates to the lower ring were closed, forgot to attach a lever to the upper ring's gates though. Oops. Released the Beastmaster with the cave dragon in tow, this was sure to be an interesting fight, since I couldn't test cave dragons vs purgatory wolves in the arena mode. They clawed and bit at each other for a bit, just some minor cuts, when suddenly the cave dragon bites his upper body, and the rhino sized, iron boned wolf is bit clean in two... Currently making a statue of the event to go in the dining hall.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 01:53:30 am by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50014 on: April 30, 2017, 01:59:48 am »

God dammit... I have a female cave dragon and a male regular dragon.... Sitting in the same room, chumming about... I'm mentally slamming their faces together and shouting LOVE EACH OTHER!!! every time the cave dragon pops out some infertile eggs... I want a breeding program like my old roc one, or Archcrystal's! The eight forbidden cave dragon eggs sitting in the temple just serve to taunt me...

Check their sexual orientation in Dwarf Therapist. Asexual or gay males don't have sex or fertilize eggs (afaik), while asexual or lesbian females don't have sex but still lay eggs.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50015 on: April 30, 2017, 02:24:19 am »

Check their sexual orientation in Dwarf Therapist. Asexual or gay males don't have sex or fertilize eggs (afaik), while asexual or lesbian females don't have sex but still lay eggs.

Checked using that, they're both straight, which is good, if I find a member of either species of the opposing sex I have a good chance of getting a breeding pair.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50016 on: April 30, 2017, 06:45:57 am »

Recently rediscovered my love of Dwarf Fortress, started up a new fort and hooooo boy. It's been fun so far.

The start was going well! I had only 4 deaths on record: two suicidal dwarves decided it was a GREAT IDEA to solo attack giant alligators, a freak wood-cutting accident, and a poor sole who was too close to the map edge when a roc decided to say hello.

That roc is now part of my animal taming zoo collection and I feel vindicated for it.

Then I had this REALLY STRANGE BUG. I forgot to get a copy of my save when it happened but...apparently when some goblins that I caught were released for my military to train on, two of my war dogs panicked? And they ran up to the elven merchants and...one decided to lose his mind and attack it. Eventually I had to put him down because damn it, stop beating up my war dogs! Then a human poet was constantly interrupting my dwarves from doing anything which was. Odd? Because all he was doing was telling a story. I had to use DFhack to execute the fool since I didn't want to piss off the humans that are part of my fort.

THEN the madness somehow got to my new wave of migrants. I noticed it only after one guy decided my sentry keet (gotta find those werebeasts somehow) was evil and murdered it. I had to DFhack kill like, 5 of the migrants because they were trying to kill my animals and interrupting my dwarves without actually being flagged as hostile? It was strange.

I feel better about it now because I blocked off my entire first cavern layer thanks to no water entrances and lined a single route in with cage traps. I've now got a breeding pair of giant cave spiders, giant bats, about 4 cave crocodiles, and a giant cave toad, along with a troll and a small pack of troglodytes for my military to chew through.

I forgot why I stopped playing this game, this is FUN. Now if only the goblins would come back...
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50017 on: April 30, 2017, 11:10:37 am »

How do you folks normally show pics of your fort and its items, anyway? Just use the Snipping tool and go to an image uploading website?

Because that seems like too much work :P
Alt+Printscreen and save it, open file explorer to "My Pictures" and open internet browser to imgur.com, drag and drop file, right click on displayed image and copy the image http location, paste that address into the post... 15 seconds.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #50018 on: April 30, 2017, 12:42:08 pm »

So my own fort has been pretty quiet as of late, no enemy attacks or anything. I'm currently working on making weapons and armor to sell or perhaps equip more troops (I've got 20 soldiers out of a fort of 88 total), and then I'm trying to make more bedrooms so that people can actually sleep for a change.
« Reply #50019 on: April 30, 2017, 01:43:47 pm »

After having every last dwarf, except for the mercenary who I couldn't control (who literally sat in the bar drinking while everyone around him died violently I might add), die to a giant, hairy, fire-breathing snail I am starting a new fort with an utmost priority on defense. Now instead of my usual big, wide and medium length entry hall, I have a 100 tile thin line with a ballista behind fortifications at the back end. Anything comes in that I don't like, it shall be turned into a grease spot on the front yard.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50020 on: April 30, 2017, 02:03:12 pm »

Normally you make a 3x3 farm plot, because that's enough for most purposes. Right? Well I thought that making your own clothing was going to require more than that, so now I have this.

I guess it will sell well in those amounts.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #50021 on: April 30, 2017, 02:11:25 pm »

Cotton? Lol what's that? I just use rope reed and leather (I've been buying a lot of that).

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50022 on: April 30, 2017, 02:12:54 pm »

Cotton? Lol what's that? I just use rope reed and leather (I've been buying a lot of that).
Didn't have rope reed seeds, dwarf caravan didn't bring any seeds, and I thought I needed more leather than the caravan was bringing (I was probably wrong)
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50023 on: May 01, 2017, 03:31:15 am »

Once you purchase leather regularily from the caravan they will soon bring buttloads of it. The more you purchase the more of that item they bring because they want to make money.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50024 on: May 01, 2017, 04:01:29 am »

Once you have lots of it, put in job orders for 50 of every type of clothing your guys normally wear. Add some color to your screen!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
Pages: 1 ... 3333 3334 [3335] 3336 3337 ... 3836