Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3334 3335 [3336] 3337 3338 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5857138 times)

Pickleman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50025 on: May 01, 2017, 05:46:25 am »

Currently I'm on my first playthrough and I'm on my first Summer. All is well, no combat. Preparing for Winter and I hope I survive it. I intend not to die.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50026 on: May 01, 2017, 05:47:17 am »

Actually made mead. 5 mead, right in there with the 733 Plump Helmet Wine and 637 Finger Millet Beer.

Wondering about going industrial with the beekeeping industry, just because I can. It's nothing like worthwhile, but might as well.

Edit: First Goblinmas, on my non-exploitly fort with the strong military. Either there was a hole in the barracks below my marksdwarves tower from tree cutting, or something very odd happened, because an enemy marksdwarf managed to drop in, followed by a badly wounded human recruit. They were still outnumbered and massacred, though the new combat system seems to have reduced the chance a steel battle axe has of removing limbs. One dwarf attempted to kill someone using only a shield. Not a bad haul of goblinite, and nobody on my side was actually hurt. Their fault for making me wait so long for a siege.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 06:48:23 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50027 on: May 01, 2017, 07:18:41 am »

For a change I thought I'd reclaim a fort that was taken over by a FB in the year 15... which consequently annihilated 3 other nearby civs (and thir related forts) before returning to it's nest in my target zone.

"It'll be a challenging beastie," I thought.

No sign of it yet, but I've only reclaimed down to the second cavern.  There's no shortage of iron or steel here, although AFAICT there's no iron-bearing ores or flux...  this place has 62 metalsmiths forges at last count and I'm sure there's more, about half of which have steel anvils!

Mebbe I should pause the exploration for a while, turtle up and actually do something with this bounty of riches.   :-\
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50028 on: May 01, 2017, 07:29:50 am »

Mebbe I should pause the exploration for a while, turtle up and actually do something with this bounty of riches.   :-\
Dive for Magma!!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50029 on: May 01, 2017, 04:10:16 pm »

I decided to make a military embark near an dwarven hillock taken over by a hostile elven civ. First announcement I got was "You have discovered Palymis". I checked at the units screen and there were over 130 kobolds, all of them hostile, most of them wrestlers, apparently, on the top of the mountains. Although they are marked as hostile, the two 'bolds next to my wagon (a ranger and a trapper) don't attack the militia I panickedly made before even unpausing. They are just standing there, watching.
I holed up quickly and decided to leave the northern half of the map as kobold land until the Elven siece (that will probably come from the north aswell) wipes them out or the loyalty cascade caused by the kobold thief thins them out enough for me to take all the shit they gathered (although mostly it's empty chests, crates and a bunch of dresses, which is disappointing, since Legend Viewers showed kobolds that stole divine metal crowns from fucking vaults, but oh well).
I checked Palymis on the Legends Viewer, and apparently they were settled in a cave once, but a nearby human civ decided to attack the cave for no reason, sending their entire army at them and not killing a single kobold, instead driving their entire population out into the place I decided to settle.
This will be fun.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50030 on: May 01, 2017, 04:28:01 pm »

Currently I'm on my first playthrough and I'm on my first Summer. All is well, no combat. Preparing for Winter and I hope I survive it. I intend not to die.
Good luck, and remember: Losing is fun.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50031 on: May 01, 2017, 04:29:23 pm »

Beginning my first mini-project, because I can. Discovered that I need to be mildly more careful about floor placement, because dwarves like placing diagonal flooring down even when it's not connected to anything. Luckily only a few dwarves and war dogs fell down a single floor onto a wood floor and some chimpanzees the elves brought when the dust cloud hit. Though one did fall through THAT floor as well, but he landed on grass.

Trying to hold out until my fortress becomes mountain home for once, but dunno what I'm going to do after that. Maybe attempt to relocate to the first cavern level since I managed to totally block it off, just for shits and giggles.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50032 on: May 01, 2017, 04:48:07 pm »

The annual ritual has begun.

Edit: Shortly afterwards I discovered that this is not because the river has frozen, but because we're out of booze. Dun dun duun
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:50:56 pm by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50033 on: May 01, 2017, 04:59:42 pm »

The annual ritual has begun.

Edit: Shortly afterwards I discovered that this is not because the river has frozen, but because we're out of booze. Dun dun duun
[d]esignate your herbalists to gather [p]lants. Then extract the crap out of them on the distillery.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50034 on: May 01, 2017, 05:07:21 pm »

Also zones for tree fruit.
One wheel short of a wagon

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #50035 on: May 01, 2017, 07:55:36 pm »

I've been passing time since retiring Halldistance by building and retiring other forts. Selected a site that, on embark, sucked. Only tin and lignite, in a featureless plain despite having most embark tiles be mountain regions. And Keas. At any rate, I decided to build a functional fortress there, before retiring it.

A wereelephant I had walled up in a prior short-run fortress attacked, killing 9. I know it was one of mine because every citizen I have had at my fortresses, I've renamed as their English surname (e.g. Wealthcrypt), with the gender next to the name, and a rank for military.

She had been completely walled in when I retired the prior fortress.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50036 on: May 02, 2017, 03:52:04 am »

A jungle titan arrived! A giant feathered slug with deadly spittle. I was a little nervous about sending my dwarves at it for fear of losing them, but then I realised. It had spawned right on the edge of the map I had stationed a giant cave spider at.

So I let them go it for a little while and watched. They were pretty evenly matched, the titan couldn't get a solid hit on the spider and the spider was spewing webs and managed to bite it and envenom it. Sadly, the Titan got the upper hand and crushed my poor spider's abdomen.

And then promptly walked into my line of cage traps ringing the edge that the spider had so kindly spewed webbing all over. Now I have a titan in a cage.

Time to make a zoo.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50037 on: May 02, 2017, 04:04:31 am »

I decided to make a military embark near an dwarven hillock taken over by a hostile elven civ. First announcement I got was "You have discovered Palymis". I checked at the units screen and there were over 130 kobolds, all of them hostile, most of them wrestlers, apparently, on the top of the mountains. Although they are marked as hostile, the two 'bolds next to my wagon (a ranger and a trapper) don't attack the militia I panickedly made before even unpausing. They are just standing there, watching.
One a new world, I noted my chosen civ only had 16 dwarfs in a cave and a dwarfless hillock. I found the cave and embarked there. There were the dwarfs, all hostile, but not attacking. They were killing wildlife but not attacking my guys.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50038 on: May 02, 2017, 02:46:46 pm »

Just embarked on a river, and BAM! Squad of mercenaries at my command. A human sword master and a troop of six other soldiers were sitting around by the river, one of them oddly naked with just a mace. They hung out at my wagon even after I had a statue garden and meeting hall and tavern, but after a few months of the tavern being up they all petitioned to join as mercenaries. They had pretty decent skills and had defended my fort from buzzards quite well when they strafed by the wagon to get at the cassiterite. Recruited them all and put them in their own squad, currently smacking out a bunch of human sized steel arms for them all.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50039 on: May 02, 2017, 04:34:41 pm »

One a new world, I noted my chosen civ only had 16 dwarfs in a cave and a dwarfless hillock. I found the cave and embarked there. There were the dwarfs, all hostile, but not attacking. They were killing wildlife but not attacking my guys.
Cavedwarves?
Cool.
Pages: 1 ... 3334 3335 [3336] 3337 3338 ... 3836