Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854897 times)

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5010 on: August 16, 2010, 01:42:37 am »

So I sent Urist McLumberjack out to clear an area of trees that I plan to construct a solid iron sacrificial altar on, when out of the blue a Skeletal Giant Eagle attacks him.  Rather than flee, he turned and started hacking into it with his axe.  Unfortunately the Eagle got a couple good claws in and he dropped said axe.  But he didn't flee, didn't even flinch.  Oh no, instead he proceeded to kick the Skeletal Giant Eagle to dust, before staggering off to the hospital.

The doctors were able to stop the bleeding and prevent infection, but alas dwarven medicine has not advanced to the point of reattaching severed motor and sensory nerves and so this brave dwarf has permanently lost the ability to use his arms.

After a series of cancel spam about not being able to pickup equipment: too injured, I turned off his woodcutting labour (can't he hold it in his teeth?).  Feeling that a dwarf of his calibre would not want to spend the rest of his days sitting around unable to work, watching all his fellows go about their business, I drafted him into the military - at least he might find a glorious death kicking goblins in the head.

And so now, while we await the next invasion, he's somehow providing Striking demonstrations to rookie recruits.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 01:46:34 am by Biowraith »

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: August 16, 2010, 02:40:57 am »

i kind of let my animals get out of control with the breeding and am now desperately trying to lower their numbers. there's 4 butcher shops going nonstop, miasma everywhere, elephant and kitten bones all over the place, and a refuse pile big enough i'm surprised goblins aren't living in it.

Elephants are the new kittens.  Towards the end, I stopped bothering to make the roasts and just started trading away the giant stacks of meat.

The aquifer on this beast just won't quit; hit a patch of soggy sandstone under -6 and -5.  Geh.  At least I think I can through this...  breached three zs with careful pump-juggling.  How many more can there be?  :P

Lost an anonymous mook to the first ambush; managed to save my woodcutter (founder, friends with everyone from the mayor down) despite him taking breaks from running away from the seven gobbo spearmen on his heels to chop up a child-thief and then TAKE A LONG NAP OUTSIDE BEFORE RETREATING TO SAFETY

It is time for the militia to upgrade from turtle shells to (iron armor) and celebrate our first Running of the Goblins.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: August 16, 2010, 02:53:05 am »

the old fort "mysteriously" flooded with magma as i got tired of trying to get ahead of the amimal orgy at 15 fps, so i started up a new one in a new world.

First thing i noticed was wrong was that there are no seeds, plants, or alcohol available on the embark screen.

So we get there, and all the water is frozen.

So i'm like DAMNDAMNHELLDAMNSHIT trying to gather plants to brew/plant before everyone dies. About the time everyone is about to die, all the water instantly thaws somehow. To celebrate, my woodcutter and mechanic drowned themselves, and my militia commander had second thoughts at the last second and decided to swim to the other side, where he is now trapped.

Great embark, or greatest embark?

I'm going to try to turn it around. wish me luck(or fun).

Edit:and there goes the militia commander
Edit2: nope, jumped back out, but he's starving to death.
edit3:finally stopped tantruming and gathered plants to eat while i dig under the river.
Final edit: Migrants arrived, so i guess it's okay now, just a bit of a hairy start.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 03:35:51 am by Zaik »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: August 16, 2010, 03:53:45 am »

I breached my second cavern a while ago, but there's something strange about it. It's completely barren. No flora or fauna in sight, even though it extends off the embark area. Kind of eerie actually, a completely empty cave. If this were a trading sim I'd be rich what with the thousands of squares of arable land down there.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: August 16, 2010, 08:28:23 am »

SO MUCH BLOOD around my trade depot and enterance.

In other news, lions. And elephants. And olm men. When am I going to get a Dungeon Master?
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #5015 on: August 16, 2010, 08:43:54 am »

New fort (previous one was gobbo'd to death - damned confusing military screen) and trying to get down to some magma. 47 z-levels of digging now and still haven't even found a cavern. Not looking forward to making a 60 z-level magma pump stack. Anyone know what the standing record is for z-levels on a pump stack?  :P
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: August 16, 2010, 09:18:20 am »

Does anyone know if mechanism quality affects trap damage?

Also, I think I'm going to mod the new adventure-reaction system into a magic system. That will be cool.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: August 16, 2010, 09:23:32 am »

I'm running a new fort with Genesis, and I've just finished my protective wall.

Now to put the traps in and turn wasters immigrants back on.

Not sure if that counts as a mega project?  A mini-mega project perhaps.  Over 3000 Marble Blocks in the wall!
Diggy diggy hole.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #5018 on: August 16, 2010, 09:28:16 am »

(snip)

Not sure if that counts as a mega project?  A mini-mega project perhaps.  Over 3000 Marble Blocks in the wall!

It's beautiful!
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: August 16, 2010, 09:35:08 am »

Does anyone know if mechanism quality affects trap damage?

Last I heard higher quality mechanisms change the effective skill level of the attack.  A basic mechanism is like a dabbling weapon user, a masterwork is like a legendary or a grand master or something, artifact is legendary+5.

That was back in 40D, but it seems to still be valid.  I recently upgraded the mechanisms in my traps and they do seem to be significantly more effective.  They also seem to jam less, though I'm less certain of that.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5020 on: August 16, 2010, 10:02:49 am »

Today was a glorious day in CudgelDye.

The entrance to CudgelDye is an excessively large and overengineered deathtrap, consisting of a series of 9 3X10 tile retracting steel bridges over a 9 wide, 90 long, and about 20 deep pit that empties into the lowermost chasm level.  Above the bridges are openings leading to large reservoirs of magma, and flanking those are large water tanks that can also be dumped into the pit.  Depending on which levers I tell the dwarves to pull, this entrance way can kill invaders by dropping enemies 20+ levels, or by flooding them off the bridge with magma, or even by encasing them in obsidian.  I originally built it to deal with the demoness rules of the local goblin civilization who appeared to be impossible to kill by any means short of an obsidian trap.  Since then it has dealt with many goblins.

The caverns under CudgelDye are inaccessible from the fortress or the surface.  I have been very careful while excavating the massive pit beneath the entrance bridge to avoid the creation of a walkable passage from depths to the surface.  By breaching the top of a cavern, then releasing alternating floods of magma and water into the open area, I created a solid plug of obsidian to bore down through.  Every use of the magma flood system is timed to match an incoming siege, so every tile of obsidian is created through the death of invaders.  I eventually plan to make blocks out of the goblin-flavored obsidian so created to make a vast aboveground fortress, but that's a long-term project.

Leaving the caverns inaccessible means that forgotten beasts pile up.  I have built an automated kitten dropper to explore the caverns, but otherwise did little to deal with the monsters.  I was considering building a specialized cavein trap to kill them, but then decided that the gigantic entrance deathtrap I built to kill the unkillable demon queen could work on them as well.

I very carefully built a passageway, sealable with a retracting bridge, from the fortress entrance to the depths.  Then I locked the inner doors, leaving only my trade chamber full of chained war elephants accessible from the outside, and waited.  Soon four forgotten beasts were climbing up the twisting stairway from the caverns to the entrance.

What I didn't expect was what happened next - an eleven trade caravan arriving on the map and making to the entrance just before the forgotten beasts arrived.  The elves found themselves trapped between the forgotten beasts and the trade entrance.  They fled for the trade entrance, only to have the inner drawbridge slam shut just before they reached it.  Then I pulled the lever to release the magma.  The elves were incinerated, of course, and three of the four forgotten beasts died in the magma flood.  The fourth has horrible injuries but is somehow still alive, I expect another magma flood will either finish it off or knock it off the bridge.

While this carnage was going on inside, an elven diplomat arrived outside.  Followed by a goblin siege.  The goblins finished off the elf, and are now marching on the entrance where the last forgotten beast is waiting.  I expect they'll arrive just in time for the magma chamber to be recharged.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

charl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: August 16, 2010, 10:17:12 am »

I just got four uninvited guests coming out of the underworld. At the same time. Thank Armok I walled off the caves. Now they are stuck down there fighting each other.

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: August 16, 2010, 10:26:24 am »

(snip)

It's beautiful!

After finishing my wall I find out that I have no Iron anywhere on this map.  Great.  Copper Traps for everybody, at least until I can mine Goblinite (or whatever I get in Genesis)!

EDIT: Also, no fuel. :(
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:34:15 am by Still Standing »
Diggy diggy hole.

Urist McNewb

• Bay Watcher
  • Damned zombies! You will be CULLED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: August 16, 2010, 11:05:14 am »

Building my first aboveground fort, and i'm in the second year. I've learnt that building floors is horribly time consuming, but necessary.  :(
And so, the world that had turned due to complex space formula, started to turn on simply the tears of gamers, remember to QQ, it fuels us!

Urist McNewb

• Bay Watcher
  • Damned zombies! You will be CULLED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: August 16, 2010, 11:17:33 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And so, the world that had turned due to complex space formula, started to turn on simply the tears of gamers, remember to QQ, it fuels us!
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 3836