Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3359 3360 [3361] 3362 3363 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787918 times)

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50400 on: July 23, 2017, 11:48:05 pm »

Today, I decided to build a pump stack from the aquifier up to the murky pools on the surface that always dry up by early spring.

For reasons beyond explanation, I can NEVER remember how to build a pump stack properly, even with the wiki on and everything.

I haven't even managed to figure it out in the first place, even with the wiki on and everything so...

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
  • The only person who cares about Tales from Entar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50401 on: July 24, 2017, 06:26:06 pm »

Today, I decided to build a pump stack from the aquifier up to the murky pools on the surface that always dry up by early spring.

For reasons beyond explanation, I can NEVER remember how to build a pump stack properly, even with the wiki on and everything.

I haven't even managed to figure it out in the first place, even with the wiki on and everything so...

Once you've done it a few times it becomes almost muscle memory. Trying to get it to pump again when half of the stack randomly collapses after you've rebuilt it, however, is another story.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #50402 on: July 24, 2017, 07:35:59 pm »

Actually, it seems that Kenom is a human deity worshipped by The Mechanical Confederacies, and four of the dwarven children in my fort.

I hadn't realized that there was any kind of profaning that was involved. Thanks for the info.
Huh, haven't ever seen it in reverse. And you're welcome. All this info comes from lots and lots of history-diving in Legends Mode.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50403 on: July 26, 2017, 10:57:50 am »

Was doing some decentralized hospitalization tests with minecarts and found an amusing diagnosis

"You're drunk, test subject."
"Well, that explains the cart accident."

Test subject shows sign of insanity.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #50404 on: July 27, 2017, 01:51:17 pm »

I just got a large ambush from a nearby faceless one civilization. More than 30 soldiers in total, and also their mounts and a few war animals.
For backstory, my military consisted of 20 men - the first squad consisted of only 3 dwarves, the rest were either Goren or Gray Cyclopes, both semi-intelligent humanoids capable of using weaponry. Was enough for the most part, as they were all training nearly the entire year round.

The full list was actually bigger as these are screencaps I took earlier on in the ambush.
I've had one ambush from them before, but nowhere near in these numbers - last time they brought two C'thrax wrestlers, who are gigantic and have pincers instead of tentacles. That said they still were relatively unprepared, and went down without causing any casualties.

They notably brought a Starspawn with them - the largest caste of the faceless ones, practically megabeast-level. This is where all two of my casualties resulted from - they can drive dwarves insane with some of their unique abilities.
Rh'nel drove one of my swordsdwarves insane, resulting in him attacking and killing one of the goren swordsmen I drafted into the military.

At that point, only a few of my soldiers were fighting Rh'nel - the others were chasing around the remaining Faceless Ones and Unbroken who were attempting to rein in their terrified mounts. This proved to be advantageous as most of the dwarves entered martial trances.

I eventually ordered the entire force to strike at the Starspawn. The combined forces managed to pierce through Rh'nel's armor and carapace enough to cause major internal injuries - the gargantuan horrors heart was torn by the assault.
Rh'nel eventually died - it appeared he left one last surprise, as one of the goren swordsmen struck down the swordsdwarf who had killed his friend in his insanity.

The remaining stragglers didn't pose much of a challenge, as their mounts were too out of control to obey their commands. Eventually none remained.
The forts exterior was covered in various shades of blood - the peasants took to the cleanup as the soldiers rested and recovered their injuries.

I ordered a specific statue made for this occassion. I placed it in the crypt, where all the dead members of the fort rest.
Mostbad endures.

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50405 on: July 28, 2017, 12:41:20 pm »

We've finally met our goblin neighbors.  They seemed nice.  They came bearing gifts of arrows and bolts, and distributed them freely and quickly to our population, while standing atop our walls.  Thankfully, a brave member of our military was able to rush along the wall, at great personal risk, and knock them down where we were able to return their welcome properly.  Most of our military was wiped out.

The highlight of this misadventure was our outpost liaison, who managed to convince an overly enthusiastic visitor that the entrance to the living quarters was for citizens only.  Bare-handed.

It's now a year later, and our intrepid heroine has returned with the caravan from the mountainhomes, healthy, but bearing many scars from her brave deeds.  Unfortunately, she comes also bearing tales that other settlements of our brethren did not fare so well this past year.  The second and third courses to our walls are proceeding with alacrity.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50406 on: July 28, 2017, 01:00:14 pm »

A migrant just arrived.

Seriously, a migrant. One dude. Only one. The game even gave me a unique announcement telling me, "A migrant has arrived."

I'm not sure why that surprises me when hydras and forgotten beasts don't.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50407 on: July 28, 2017, 03:55:19 pm »

I have that happen too when my pop cap is one short :)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #50408 on: July 29, 2017, 07:13:57 am »

Another big ambush, this time it appears the Primals are trying to defeat the dwarves of Mostbad.

They brought one of the titanic Genesaur with them - combined with the amount of gray cyclopes, this is by far the toughest challenge Mostbad's military force has been tasked with yet.

For whatever reason, a podling axeman carries a book with him instead of any sort of weapon. That'll make a nice addition to Mostbad's library.

The battle was a storm of flying blood and limbs. From afar, it would have been difficult to tell which side had the advantage - as the fight went on, it became more and more clear that the primals were no match for the combat prowess and resolve of Mostbad's defenders.

All made even more obvious by one particular chain of events. One of the militia captains loyal war worgs sprang upon the Genesaur, too preoccupied with fending off one of Mostbads most dangerous cyclopes, Emalunib, to notice the beasts incoming attack. The force of the blow was enough to knock the colossus unconscious, at which point its death was merely a matter of seconds.

The remaining Primals were in disbelief at the death of their demigod. Some continued their futile assault, whereas others attempted to run away in terror.
The forces of Mostbad took this to their advantage, and slew most of the Primals and their animal mounts. A single podling bowman was the only survivor, managing to flee on a horse, before anyone could catch up with him.

Mostbad endures yet another year.

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
  • ... challenging the monsters of the depths
    • View Profile
Worst siege ever + giant migrant wave+dead kangaroos
« Reply #50409 on: July 29, 2017, 01:26:12 pm »

I've played with my fort and the 14 happy dwarfs and all was fine. I had some problems with food production, but still enough reserves.
My last year ended and the spring arrived...
And with him my first siege:necromancer

I went insane because I hadn't a military so I assigned 10 dwarfs to a squad and locked my fort.
The necromancer walked to my entrance and stood there. There were no undeads. Only him.
He turned around and walked back tomy border and dissappeared! The siege-tag was away and all was fine.
I've sent my dwarf out to see if he was really away. I found nothing.
So: relly much luck :D

The fort worked nice  with some kangaroos. three ran in my cagetraps and I butchered them for some meat and bones. One walked in my fortress and has been hit by two weapen traps.So 20 wooden spiked balls!
And it survived a short time until it bled to death :-[

The elves arrived. Only two merchants with mostly trash. I bought fruits for my still and kitchen. The civilisationscreen
 shows that the elves want revenge and I export Terror?
I fell all my trees in the first year, but there wasn't any contact to them and I haven't sold them wood.
The merchants were happy. So hope they don't attack me! ;)

The last mayor event was a migrant wave with 40 new dwarfs! 20 of them childs.
End of year 1/beginning 2:
-one necromancer siege->bad
-54 inhabitants
-dead kangaroos
a rising fort!
The old apple revels in its authority.

andrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50410 on: July 29, 2017, 02:14:51 pm »

Well, I finally have a fully-realized fort. I have a working metal industry, am able to successfully deal with sieges, have more food and drink than my dwarves could ever consume, as well as functional underground farming and what will soon be an underground tree farm - just as soon as the saplings develop into full trees. I've got a well, a functioning hospital, and enough bedrooms for all my citizens. I've got suitable quarters for my mayor, baroness, and the newly-arrived king. My marksdwarves are currently executing the captive goblins from our latest siege. I am currently buying out every caravan that comes into my fortress because it's easier than going through and selecting only the stuff I want. My library, temple, and inn are attracting quite a lot of visitors, many of whom are being welcomed as citizens and, I suspect, will eventually outnumber my dwarves as I have reached my population cap and have no intention of turning anyone away (except human mercenaries, because I don't feel like making uniforms specifically for them).

In light of all this success, and since I'm currently lacking the motivation to go mining for cotton candy and prepare for HFS, I've decided to designate all the citizen's bedrooms for engraving. As a standard practice, I always smooth bedrooms to make them nicer for my dwarves and to train up my engravers. Now, however, most of my engravers are pretty good, and some of them are even getting rusty because I don't have much I need smoothed anymore, so I thought it was time to spruce up the common folks' bedrooms a little more. This will also further train the engravers for when I move on to the inn, temple, library, and nobles' quarters.

Now, being the lazy overseer I am, I generally tend to ignore nobles' demands and mandates. As I never designate anyone who can mete out dwarven justice, this means that the nobles are pretty much in a constant state of being disgruntled, but the rest of the fortress is safe and happy. Thus, I found it hilariously appropriate when I discovered that one of my dwarves had engraved this:

Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally designed image of Kakpoth, the deity of rulership, depicted as a human male by Pabat Okogirus. Kapoth looks offended.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50411 on: July 29, 2017, 04:35:44 pm »

Oh, that IS amusing!

Engraving usage varies from tileset to tileset (and aesthetics). In curses, I prefer unengraved walls and smoothed floor with spots of engravings. In biolinum, I like hidden engraved floors and hm...unengraved or smooth walls. What do you favour?
The elves arrived. Only two merchants with mostly trash. I bought fruits for my still and kitchen. The civilisationscreen
 shows that the elves want revenge and I export Terror?
I fell all my trees in the first year, but there wasn't any contact to them and I haven't sold them wood.
The merchants were happy. So hope they don't attack me! ;)
That means your civilizations started a war with them elsewhere since trading - seen this happen myself (simultaneously with humans, even), confirmed with retire. They war much more post-worldgen, so you can have elves, humans and dwarves coexisting for a century in an island and then get into a fight once your fort is founded.

andrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50412 on: July 29, 2017, 05:49:10 pm »

I prefer the vanilla tileset, as it's the only one where I can actually tell what the hell I'm looking at. It took me quite awhile to be able to recognize different soils, stones, ores, and other things by sight in Dwarf Fortress, and I don't feel like going through that again. Personally, I'd rather not look at too many engravings, particularly on the floors, because they just make everything look busy and my eyes get dazzled and then it's hard to locate or focus on anything. Still, I like seeing my dwarves depict historical events, deities, and artifacts, and engraving the fortress seems super dwarvenly to me, so I'll put up with it in this particular case. I don't know how to turn them off, and before you suggest it, I don't even know how to install DFHack, much less use it, so I'm afraid it's vanilla or bust for me.

EDIT: Just looked it up. Forgot it was on the (d)esignate screen
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 05:55:36 pm by andrian »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50413 on: July 29, 2017, 10:56:12 pm »

IIRC, installing DFhack is basically (maybe extract?) shove the (extracted?) files in the main df folder, run df

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50414 on: July 29, 2017, 11:16:01 pm »

Personally, I'd rather not look at too many engravings, particularly on the floors, because ...
EDIT: Just looked it up. Forgot it was on the (d)esignate screen
Also you may want to change the init file's [ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED:__] value.... iirc, using 'd'esignate will toggle the on/off status of engraving obscuration instead of turning them all on or all off, unlike 'd' 'b' 'f' and other mass designates that only designate the ones not designated yet. This could be misinformation but I am not loading up DF to check
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
Pages: 1 ... 3359 3360 [3361] 3362 3363 ... 3835