Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3362 3363 [3364] 3365 3366 ... 3611

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 3162604 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Bad migrant wave
« Reply #50445 on: July 22, 2017, 06:09:38 pm »

So I hope, that the tower doesn't send zombies. Its a bit in distance, but you never know :)
A hope will not stop zombies! prepare! Get a door at least.

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
  • The only person who cares about Tales from Entar
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50446 on: July 22, 2017, 07:36:19 pm »

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #50447 on: July 22, 2017, 09:53:31 pm »

I find it more than mildly disconcerting that every.single.dwarf.child worships Ritas, Goddess of the Night.

But what's more confusing to me is that it's my Fertility god, not the god of the night, that is the one cursing people with lycanthropy and vampirism throughout history.

In fact, the Fertility God is the only one who seems to have any kind of history.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #50448 on: July 23, 2017, 03:20:44 pm »

But what's more confusing to me is that it's my Fertility god, not the god of the night, that is the one cursing people with lycanthropy and vampirism throughout history.

In fact, the Fertility God is the only one who seems to have any kind of history.
Dwarven gods usually don't have histories, because dwarves don't build temples for people to profane. This is a rare case of humans adopting a dwarven god. They built a temple to him and now he can curse those that profane it.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50449 on: July 23, 2017, 04:57:42 pm »

TheFlame52 and Romeofalling... using avatars to make coincidence appear as intentional.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #50450 on: July 23, 2017, 08:33:47 pm »

Dwarven gods usually don't have histories, because dwarves don't build temples for people to profane. This is a rare case of humans adopting a dwarven god. They built a temple to him and now he can curse those that profane it.

Actually, it seems that Kenom is a human deity worshipped by The Mechanical Confederacies, and four of the dwarven children in my fort.

I hadn't realized that there was any kind of profaning that was involved. Thanks for the info.

TheFlame52 and Romeofalling... using avatars to make coincidence appear as intentional.

Yowza. Had to look to see what you meant. I've gone avatar-blind, it seems.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #50451 on: July 23, 2017, 11:45:21 pm »

Today, I decided to build a pump stack from the aquifier up to the murky pools on the surface that always dry up by early spring.

For reasons beyond explanation, I can NEVER remember how to build a pump stack properly, even with the wiki on and everything.

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50452 on: July 23, 2017, 11:48:05 pm »

Today, I decided to build a pump stack from the aquifier up to the murky pools on the surface that always dry up by early spring.

For reasons beyond explanation, I can NEVER remember how to build a pump stack properly, even with the wiki on and everything.

I haven't even managed to figure it out in the first place, even with the wiki on and everything so...

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
  • The only person who cares about Tales from Entar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50453 on: July 24, 2017, 06:26:06 pm »

I haven't even managed to figure it out in the first place, even with the wiki on and everything so...

Once you've done it a few times it becomes almost muscle memory. Trying to get it to pump again when half of the stack randomly collapses after you've rebuilt it, however, is another story.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #50454 on: July 24, 2017, 07:35:59 pm »

Actually, it seems that Kenom is a human deity worshipped by The Mechanical Confederacies, and four of the dwarven children in my fort.

I hadn't realized that there was any kind of profaning that was involved. Thanks for the info.
Huh, haven't ever seen it in reverse. And you're welcome. All this info comes from lots and lots of history-diving in Legends Mode.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50455 on: July 26, 2017, 10:57:50 am »

Was doing some decentralized hospitalization tests with minecarts and found an amusing diagnosis

"You're drunk, test subject."
"Well, that explains the cart accident."

Test subject shows sign of insanity.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #50456 on: July 27, 2017, 01:51:17 pm »

I just got a large ambush from a nearby faceless one civilization. More than 30 soldiers in total, and also their mounts and a few war animals.
For backstory, my military consisted of 20 men - the first squad consisted of only 3 dwarves, the rest were either Goren or Gray Cyclopes, both semi-intelligent humanoids capable of using weaponry. Was enough for the most part, as they were all training nearly the entire year round.

The full list was actually bigger as these are screencaps I took earlier on in the ambush.
I've had one ambush from them before, but nowhere near in these numbers - last time they brought two C'thrax wrestlers, who are gigantic and have pincers instead of tentacles. That said they still were relatively unprepared, and went down without causing any casualties.

They notably brought a Starspawn with them - the largest caste of the faceless ones, practically megabeast-level. This is where all two of my casualties resulted from - they can drive dwarves insane with some of their unique abilities.
Rh'nel drove one of my swordsdwarves insane, resulting in him attacking and killing one of the goren swordsmen I drafted into the military.

At that point, only a few of my soldiers were fighting Rh'nel - the others were chasing around the remaining Faceless Ones and Unbroken who were attempting to rein in their terrified mounts. This proved to be advantageous as most of the dwarves entered martial trances.

I eventually ordered the entire force to strike at the Starspawn. The combined forces managed to pierce through Rh'nel's armor and carapace enough to cause major internal injuries - the gargantuan horrors heart was torn by the assault.
Rh'nel eventually died - it appeared he left one last surprise, as one of the goren swordsmen struck down the swordsdwarf who had killed his friend in his insanity.

The remaining stragglers didn't pose much of a challenge, as their mounts were too out of control to obey their commands. Eventually none remained.
The forts exterior was covered in various shades of blood - the peasants took to the cleanup as the soldiers rested and recovered their injuries.

I ordered a specific statue made for this occassion. I placed it in the crypt, where all the dead members of the fort rest.
Mostbad endures.

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50457 on: July 28, 2017, 12:41:20 pm »

We've finally met our goblin neighbors.  They seemed nice.  They came bearing gifts of arrows and bolts, and distributed them freely and quickly to our population, while standing atop our walls.  Thankfully, a brave member of our military was able to rush along the wall, at great personal risk, and knock them down where we were able to return their welcome properly.  Most of our military was wiped out.

The highlight of this misadventure was our outpost liaison, who managed to convince an overly enthusiastic visitor that the entrance to the living quarters was for citizens only.  Bare-handed.

It's now a year later, and our intrepid heroine has returned with the caravan from the mountainhomes, healthy, but bearing many scars from her brave deeds.  Unfortunately, she comes also bearing tales that other settlements of our brethren did not fare so well this past year.  The second and third courses to our walls are proceeding with alacrity.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50458 on: July 28, 2017, 01:00:14 pm »

A migrant just arrived.

Seriously, a migrant. One dude. Only one. The game even gave me a unique announcement telling me, "A migrant has arrived."

I'm not sure why that surprises me when hydras and forgotten beasts don't.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50459 on: July 28, 2017, 03:55:19 pm »

I have that happen too when my pop cap is one short :)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 3362 3363 [3364] 3365 3366 ... 3611