Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3364 3365 [3366] 3367 3368 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5773875 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50475 on: August 07, 2017, 09:54:29 pm »

Ah, new migrants. And one has two kills to her name already. Good good.

Hmm. Two dwarves?

Turns out her loving parents brought her up in the Dark Fortress, Thieflearns, where her father was forcibly taken at the age of 3.

She murdered a dwarf when she was 14 (poor old Thob Indigoblockades who only moved to the Dark Fortress so he could marry his sweetheart, apparently) then another at 16. Just the way it goes if you want to get by in goblin society.

In the year 332, she suddenly decided to leave the goblins, rejoin dwarvern civilization and come to live with us.
Novice butcher. She'll fit right in...

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50476 on: August 07, 2017, 10:35:32 pm »

Hmm. Two dwarves?

Turns out her loving parents brought her up in the Dark Fortress, Thieflearns, where her father was forcibly taken at the age of 3.

She murdered a dwarf when she was 14 (poor old Thob Indigoblockades who only moved to the Dark Fortress so he could marry his sweetheart, apparently) then another at 16. Just the way it goes if you want to get by in goblin society.

In the year 332, she suddenly decided to leave the goblins, rejoin dwarvern civilization and come to live with us.

Really? With such an awesome backstory, you would hope she'd have better skills...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50477 on: August 07, 2017, 11:04:06 pm »

Hmm. Two dwarves?

Really? With such an awesome backstory, you would hope she'd have better skills...
Ha! Yeah. That's exactly what I thought. Murder gets you very little in the way of skills, apparently. Novice Butcher, Novice Shearer (trolls?), Novice Brewer.

She brought her husband with her (novice butcher, novice shearer, novice cook). Worshiper of the giant rat deity The Turquoise of Coal. Dreams of ruling the world.
Can't wait to see what their kids turn out like...

edit:
Oh wait, they actually brought their 4 children along with them. Only two of them dream of ruling the world. That's not so bad. :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:13:46 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
  • ... challenging the monsters of the depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #50478 on: August 08, 2017, 04:29:00 am »

That's really unlucky to be honest. In my experience, troglodytes are almost never hostile and seem to run away from dwarves if they pay attention at all. It might be interesting to check the combat logs to see if the troglodytes struck first or if the dwarves attacked. I've had situations where visitors have shown off how opposed to nature they are by mass attacking any bunny that enters the room, and I'm pretty sure that some dwarves will just attack for the fun of it depending on their personality.

My dwarfs attack them every time. Current it is a bit bugged. The troglodyte hangs on a wall and my dwarfs underneath him.
The troglodyte beats them until they fall down where they scramble on the ground because they are heavily wounded.
Problem: Nearly ALL my dwarfs stuck on this wall and can't climb down.

I've tried to build a ramp and a staircase up but the construction gets ever suspendet with no reason.
So all my dwarf will die when they don't climb down. The Troglodyte gets never attacked and my military can't reach him.
How I get the dwarfs away?
The old apple revels in its authority.

Monomstodir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50479 on: August 08, 2017, 08:36:33 am »

Mr Ettin attacked my fort. Before I could scramble a squad, Mr Ettin ambles into one of my cage traps intended for the occasional elephants. Thank you Mr Ettin, that was a very fierce threat you posed.

Mr Ettin has been transferred in his cage to the candy spire waiting room, and will act as a greeter for the clown car.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50480 on: August 08, 2017, 08:40:57 am »

That's really unlucky to be honest. In my experience, troglodytes are almost never hostile and seem to run away from dwarves if they pay attention at all. It might be interesting to check the combat logs to see if the troglodytes struck first or if the dwarves attacked. I've had situations where visitors have shown off how opposed to nature they are by mass attacking any bunny that enters the room, and I'm pretty sure that some dwarves will just attack for the fun of it depending on their personality.

My dwarfs attack them every time. Current it is a bit bugged. The troglodyte hangs on a wall and my dwarfs underneath him.
The troglodyte beats them until they fall down where they scramble on the ground because they are heavily wounded.
Problem: Nearly ALL my dwarfs stuck on this wall and can't climb down.

I've tried to build a ramp and a staircase up but the construction gets ever suspendet with no reason.
So all my dwarf will die when they don't climb down. The Troglodyte gets never attacked and my military can't reach him.
How I get the dwarfs away?

Climbing is currently pretty broken all things considered, so if I had to guess all your dwarves are holding onto this wall for dear life. The solution to this problem is to mine away the wall they are holding, but just remember that if they're too far up, they will die from ground impact or at least take some injuries.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50481 on: August 08, 2017, 09:46:13 am »

Mr Ettin attacked my fort. Before I could scramble a squad, Mr Ettin ambles into one of my cage traps intended for the occasional elephants. Thank you Mr Ettin, that was a very fierce threat you posed.

Mr Ettin has been transferred in his cage to the candy spire waiting room, and will act as a greeter for the clown car.

Ettins are, in my experience, wimps. I've had minotaurs massacre early forts, cyclopsi? Cylopses? Cyclops'? destroy well built forts and Giants always give a decent fight... Ettin? I've seen one die to a set of wooden spears in a danger tavern. And this was before they were made dangerous.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Monomstodir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50482 on: August 08, 2017, 11:30:59 am »

I seem to be having a run of wimpy foes lately. Last few forgotten beasts have included a water blob with a poisonous bite and a feathered slug which seemed to boil itself in its own secretions.

Of course, now I've said that...

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #50483 on: August 08, 2017, 12:27:57 pm »

I decided to unretire one of my fortresses, and when i digged one z level below, i found a huge cavern that's filled with water, so im trying to work around that and dig to the bottom of the cave.
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50484 on: August 08, 2017, 08:38:39 pm »

Got a dolomite ass with fire breath, decided he was all kinds of nope and sealed off the cavern. Watched him for a while as my dwarves went about their days, he sat peacefully beside a rodentman tribe for a while, until an anordan walked by and engaged them, then he went about slaughtering everyone in that layer before going into the areas I couldn't see myself.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #50485 on: August 08, 2017, 10:02:39 pm »

Got a dolomite ass with fire breath, decided he was all kinds of nope and sealed off the cavern. Watched him for a while as my dwarves went about their days, he sat peacefully beside a rodentman tribe for a while, until an anordan walked by and engaged them, then he went about slaughtering everyone in that layer before going into the areas I couldn't see myself.
I recommend sealing off every area you can't see, even if it's tedious, any forgotten beast/titan thats rocky and above and having extra stuff is all kinds of nope
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
  • 5crownik007 cancels Homework, playing Dwarf Fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #50486 on: August 09, 2017, 05:50:34 am »

My fortress is going well, with some unavoidable deaths from forgotten beast invasions, however when my elite marksdwarf ran out of ammo, she beat the forgotten beast until the rest of the militia arrived. At one point I had 2 forgotten beasts at once. I'm currently digging out a massive living space and crafts area right above the magma, because I need people.
https://i.gyazo.com/a2e73b4fe5612640aacbe46cb4c78740.gif
The Soviet invasion of the Reich fort in arena. Soviets won despite... that.
---------------------------
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #50487 on: August 09, 2017, 09:30:49 am »

That ass is rock hard!
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #50488 on: August 09, 2017, 12:44:42 pm »

That ass is rock hard!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50489 on: August 09, 2017, 02:31:26 pm »

My latest fort seems to have cave spores right from the start. I haven't breached the caverns, and yet there is cave moss and young tunnel tube growing already.

Has anyone else had this?

Edit: I just realized that I am relatively close to my previous fortress which has breached the caverns. I wonder how far spores can spread off-map. Anyone wanna do the science?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 03:00:41 pm by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.
Pages: 1 ... 3364 3365 [3366] 3367 3368 ... 3835